Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 02:11:01 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralWoman and minorities in game development
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]
Print
Author Topic: Woman and minorities in game development  (Read 8181 times)
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 22, 2014, 11:05:05 AM »

hmmm no i didnt, but wow isnt competitive to the same degree as lol is i dont think

yeah youre right, but i guess the thing about MMOs is that theyre very open about how "hardcore" u want to play them
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: September 22, 2014, 11:11:44 AM »

Equality of opportunity =/= equality of outcome

Sure but I don't understand your point. My point is initiatives that encourage women learning how to make games are a good thing. More visible women making games means more viewpoints that games can draw from, this is a good thing. More games for more people, and more types of people.

The bonus is if women of games in the public eyed didn't have to deal with as much abuse about the fact that they are women. Gamer culture shouldn't be an obstacle to over come, but damn if they aren't trying to be one.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Blambo
« Reply #142 on: September 22, 2014, 02:11:25 PM »

i think boreal's trying to say that women have the same opportunities as men in this regard.

boreal while on the surface that might seem true, you're missing a lot of the picture. women are not (largely) being oppressed in the way you think is being insinuated, like there's no "men only" sings on lecture halls, but there is a subtle cultural pressure for women to go into certain fields that basically transcends intent.
Dragonmaw
« Reply #143 on: September 22, 2014, 02:28:51 PM »

yeah like the gender gap in employment is probably not any conscious "we won't hire women." it's painted as a meritocracy, but meritocracies invariably support existing power structures.

think of it like this. let's say you are a woman trying to get into a STEM field. you go to school, get good grades, deal with overwhelming negative influence on your choice of profession (science is a notorious Old Boys Club), and eventually get your degree and apply for a job. chances are, as a woman, you don't have access to the same sorts of social factors that traditionally help people find work, like being friends with somebody at the company.

so even if you are of equal or greater merit than your male counterpart, he is more likely to be hired. why? because he has access to social benefits you don't.

more broadly - not just equal man and woman for the same job, but statistically - women are discouraged from entering STEM fields, as are minorities, and the socioeconomic situations that they live with put them at a severe disadvantage. it's easy to shine bright when you're held up above the teeming masses by the circumstances of your birth or gender.

in short: people who claim that anything is a meritocracy are straight up wrong. meritocracies always support the people who already have most of the power. your life is a complicated series of social, cultural, environmental, and developmental factors that all gave rise to you. recognize the benefits and downsides of your circumstances, and extend compassion and empathy to others struggling to make a living.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 22, 2014, 02:38:30 PM »

That said, more men have grown up playing video games than women, since games are mostly catered to man and in a lot of places are still seen as a boy's thing.

There is no evidence of that, please show proof, remember that before the crash game where gender neutral, Ads reflected that.

count the girls

This is the 90, this is post crash, now look at pre crash ads

The other things is that when girl play video games they consider it an activity like another, not a core identity, so even if they never really left gaming, they didn't identify nor socialize as such, until it grew up on her and finally reclaim it in their 30 (now), which is the process of maturing.

I know a girl who don't identify as a gamer and she is more hardcore than me on arcade, when she learned that I worked in the industry she got in touch with me to get a r360 arcade (I think she use the real serial name of the machine) thingy I don't really know about.

airman4
Level 10

Need More Time !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: September 22, 2014, 03:01:50 PM »

Meritocracy sometimes is used to destroy the psyché/confidence of a person , to break the people concerned
Since it's actually the truth , like you have to work hard to get there , some people think they are smart enought to use it at their own advantages and go away with it with no hiring the people who deserve it but doesnt look like the classic type of it.

Some people will never get jobs they merit since they dont work enough , to tell the truth :
They can work so much until their bodies die out , it still will be never be enough.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic