Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411425 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 08:39:21 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)TutorialsI write a Haxe tutorial every day. Learn to make cross-platform games!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: I write a Haxe tutorial every day. Learn to make cross-platform games!  (Read 4841 times)
Kirill
Level 0

kircode.com

View Profile WWW
« on: September 19, 2014, 08:13:33 AM »

Have you heard of Haxe? It's a cross-platform programming toolkit and it's perfect for creating games.

And I made a blog where I write tutorials for it every day.

Check it out, subscribe to the newsletter, suggest tutorials, and spread the word!

http://haxecoder.com/

Twitter @kircode | Speebot on Steam | Hypnorain on Steam | Kircode blog
Photon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 06:16:34 PM »

Looks like you've got some nice stuff up on there! I've been wanting to dive a bit deeper into Haxe, personally, and this looks rather helpful. Thanks for sharing!

I'm curious though: what kind of computer are you doing development on?
Kirill
Level 0

kircode.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 01:07:47 AM »

Thanks!

I'm on a desktop running Windows 8.1

Photon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 06:34:05 AM »

Ah, OK. Thanks. I'm running Windows 8.x too and I was having trouble getting everything set up when I tried it some months ago. After toying around though I finally figured it out last night: another Haxe-based program had (automatically, I assume) set my repository location to a location I'm not even sure existed Huh? . Once I fixed that things finally began to move along.
Kirill
Level 0

kircode.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2014, 08:45:30 AM »

I've finished my 6-part tutorial series on making a tile based game using Haxe and OpenFL.

Start here: http://haxecoder.com/post.php?id=25

Kirill
Level 0

kircode.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2014, 05:38:14 AM »

New tutorial series started: making a shooting game using HaxePunk. http://haxecoder.com/post.php?id=32

gbelo
Level 0

hanging out

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2014, 10:42:51 AM »

Bitchin'.

I've heard of Haxe, which looks like a modified version of ActionScript 3. From my understanding, Flash is circling the drain. Is Haxe more promising?

I've also heard of HaxeFlixel, which is apparently a port/remake of the Flixel engine to Haxe. Flixel is neat, so I surmise that HaxeFlixel is as well.

GalaethGames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2014, 12:40:49 AM »

Thanks for this, I was so happy when you started with HaxeFlixel, as I'm learning it at the moment, and one thing that Haxe and the frameworks need are more tutorials.

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2014, 06:45:09 PM »

haxeflixel is amazing. For 2D it's one of my main goto solutions. 

gbelo
Level 0

hanging out

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2014, 09:34:57 AM »

Also.. uhm.. any experience migrating from Flash/AS3 to Haxe? I may do that

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2014, 06:09:36 PM »

are you migrating a codebase? or are you just worried about the transition?

In regards to the transition, it's like actionscript3 but with so many bad things about as3 fixed.

gbelo
Level 0

hanging out

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2014, 06:47:37 PM »

are you migrating a codebase? or are you just worried about the transition?

In regards to the transition, it's like actionscript3 but with so many bad things about as3 fixed.
Codebase, yeah. Maybe ~20k lines of code. So, nothing too serious, but not trivial either.

Haxe does seem like it'd be worth it, if not just to get it off of Flash. I suppose I may as well just try it, a few classes at a time.

Circuitbomb
Level 0

Stache

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2015, 11:30:43 AM »

Awesome tutorial site, Luxe looks pretty interesting.

I've heard of Haxe, which looks like a modified version of ActionScript 3. From my understanding, Flash is circling the drain. Is Haxe more promising?

I'm not so sure its circling the drain, but rather is finding better use outside of the browser.  I've seen Flash/AS3 used in loads of stuff off the web in movies, tv, and in games (Scaleform is a prime example of some middleware).  As, imo, JS and HTML5 have really knocked it out of its primary there's no reason to suspect it won't adopt different aims.  Plus dev and design communities that have fixated on Flash/AS3 and same based technologies are pretty big.
gbelo
Level 0

hanging out

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2015, 11:27:24 AM »

Awesome tutorial site, Luxe looks pretty interesting.

I'm not so sure its circling the drain, but rather is finding better use outside of the browser.  I've seen Flash/AS3 used in loads of stuff off the web in movies, tv, and in games (Scaleform is a prime example of some middleware).  As, imo, JS and HTML5 have really knocked it out of its primary there's no reason to suspect it won't adopt different aims.  Plus dev and design communities that have fixated on Flash/AS3 and same based technologies are pretty big.
Interesting, thanks! I'll have to look into Scaleform to see how Flash is used to create games.

EdFarage
Level 2

I can upload avatars

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2015, 08:56:14 PM »

Haxe seems like an interesting language, but im not sure if i'll find the same support there as i find currently on as3. Starling does a lot for me right now, are there any equivalents for Haxe?
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic