Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411413 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 16, 2024, 03:56:42 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Computer Graphics Help
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Computer Graphics Help  (Read 706 times)
Trash_Empire
Level 0

View Profile
« on: September 21, 2014, 07:40:55 AM »

For the past while I have been trying to learn how to draw well. I have read books such as Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain, and I seem to have gained some skill. However, when it comes to using that art in games that I make I have no idea where to start. If I load up Gimp or Inkscape I am harassed by all the different tools available. I have no idea where to start with this, and therefore I'm wasting a lot of time. I can draw, but I can not produce computer graphics. Help Please. I would like to be pointed in the direction of a tutorial, or something that explains what everything is and how to use it correctly. Also, how do you draw with a mouse? It feels really uncomfortable, and I mess up all the lines and stuff. Thanks.
Whiskas
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 08:16:21 AM »

Can't really answer for the first part of your question, it really depends on what art style you're aiming at and what you're the most comfortable with. For example do you want it to look like Braid or Super Meat Boy?

If you're aiming for a painting-like style then you'd want to use lots of brushes and strokes with Gimp, for a cleaner style Inkscape is the way to go.

About how to draw with a mouse, well, you don't Grin

If you want to get serious about this you really should get (and I mean really) a drawing tablet, it doesn't have to be a fancy one. If you can't afford it for now, what you could do is draw a sketch on paper, then take a picture of it or scan it, and redraw your lines using the pen tool to get smooth and consistent outlines.
Alicecomma
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 08:22:08 AM »

If you wanna draw like you would with a pencil you should consider purchasing a pen tablet. Mine came with a Photoshop key and works great for any non-pixelart. If you specifically want to get into pixel art you should just start using the mouse for it and get accustomed to drawing software.

I personally use Photofiltre Studio for any pixelart or non-pencil drawing. It's easier than Photoshop, is less than a tenth of the price (if you decide to buy it) and has a great UI.
Trash_Empire
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 08:55:12 AM »

@Whiskas I really am looking into Flash style art. Something like Edmund Mcmillens Flash games. You know like Super Meat Boy, Binding Of Isaac, and all that. I don't know what the type of art is exactly, and I don't know how to do that. For the drawing tablet, I am looking at the Huion 680s, which is about 40$ and probably will suffice until I get more serious. Thanks. I'm more interested in the Open Source Software, until I can get my hands on Flash Professional and Photoshop like Inkscape, Gimp, and for pixel art I like mtPaint. Any Feedback is greatly appreciated.
joseph ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 09:25:20 AM »

http://frenden.com/tagged/review

cheap tablet reviews ^ (I used a tablet that afaik used the same controller as a huion professionally -- recommended.)

http://www.ctrlpaint.com/library/

Digital art fundamentals (applies crossplatform, use them in gimp)

Blambo
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2014, 09:36:53 AM »

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/2867702038?pc_redir=1411126705&robot_redir=1

buy or download this book

keep an open mind about style. learn to practice a technique and then find your style from deviating and subverting
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic