Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411428 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 01:34:16 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs[Wii U] Stone Shire (Inspired by Minecraft)
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: [Wii U] Stone Shire (Inspired by Minecraft)  (Read 12889 times)
FGG
Level 0

Programmer

View Profile WWW
« on: September 21, 2014, 08:37:52 PM »

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/fingergungames
Twitter: https://twitter.com/FingerGunGames
Youtube: Finger Gun Games YT Page

Hi guys. I'm part of a small game company called Finger Gun Games (meaning just 2 people 3 now), and have decided to chart the progress of a voxel-based game inspired by Minecraft, Dwarf Fortress, and DnD. I felt that the Wii U's gamepad was perfect for a block building game, so have decided to take the charge to developing one on the Nintendo console. Eventually, we will release it on the 3DS if the game is successful enough.

The concept of the game is simple: explore, mine, and build. The player will be able to choose from different fantasy races that we all know and love, like dwarves, elves, and halfings, and they will each come with their own special traits. To keep everything simple, there likely won't be a leveling system. Your gains come from what you create and find. And of course, an exploration game would not be without enemies. One moment you could be fighting a goblin in the woods. Or you could be mining in the deep caves under a mountain, when suddenly you spot red eyes peering through the dark as a drow or some other beast desires to prey upon you.

The game can be played locally or online with other friends. You will even be able to take pictures in-game and show them to other players on Miiverse. This way, you can interact with people all throughout the world. The customization won't stop there. Even though you can choose your race, we plan to have a way for each character to design their characters to distinguish them from others, just to add a little more uniqueness to it, like facial features and colors.

For now, I will be providing pictures and data on our progress here and on our facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/fingergungames. At some point, I may be able to provide a browser or software download demo for testing since this is being made in Unity. This game will constantly be in development, even after release. Save for significant DLC, a lot of patches to add new features will be free.

Here's the current testing of voxels just to get a feel for the random generation.

Latest:
11-11-14: Pickaxes, coming in ascending quality:

And dual-wielding!

11-6-2014: Latest News

10-3-2014:

9-30-14: Added video demonstrating spreading of water.

Water Added. Next up: water physics, my favorite.
Basic Water Test

Vids:

Basic Cave Test

Screenshots:
9-26-14: Water Added
http://i.imgur.com/UIw8LpLl.png
http://i.imgur.com/Nbe35zMl.png
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 11:51:58 PM by Cdore » Logged
EDarkness
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 04:51:23 AM »

Looks cool.  Perhaps you can capitalize on that since the big guys don't seem to want to.  Heh, heh.

Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 05:04:28 AM »

Hi guys. I'm part of a small game company called Finger Gun Games

Why does your avatar say Finger Bang Games? Huh?
FGG
Level 0

Programmer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 08:01:26 AM »

Hi guys. I'm part of a small game company called Finger Gun Games

Why does your avatar say Finger Bang Games? Huh?
Because I accidentally uploaded an old version of it. Haha. Changed it to the right one.
nikki
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 08:37:02 AM »

good working title : Minecraft clone nr 46023
FGG
Level 0

Programmer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 08:44:30 AM »

good working title : Minecraft clone nr 46023
You're right, I was hesitant to mention Minecraft in this thread, but the real title can only take me so far in getting the word around of what the game will follow. The concept is best described with the existing title since it's what everyone knows. I apologize for not being original, but I hope "Stone Shire" makes up for it.
nikki
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 08:55:56 AM »

it is a good way of communicating what the game will be like, the issue is more that a lot of your hard work will eventually just result in people saying: 'look at that! some minecraft clone' the title doesnt change that much.

I think if you want to continue with the blocks and the mining and the exploration you should atleast come up with some theme different the the dwarf fortress one.

I personally would like to play a blocky mining&exploration game in space with spaceships and different planets.
and great terrain changing weapons of some sort.

FGG
Level 0

Programmer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2014, 09:13:38 AM »

it is a good way of communicating what the game will be like, the issue is more that a lot of your hard work will eventually just result in people saying: 'look at that! some minecraft clone' the title doesnt change that much.

I think if you want to continue with the blocks and the mining and the exploration you should atleast come up with some theme different the the dwarf fortress one.

I personally would like to play a blocky mining&exploration game in space with spaceships and different planets.
and great terrain changing weapons of some sort.

It's funny because that was one of the other concept games Mojang was going to make at some point. I also had the idea of moving through space on a block ship and seeing real time planets that are entirely made of blocks, and then being able to settle on them. This is an idea that Starbound does and No Man's Sky will try to do. Except the former is 2D and the latter, from the trailers and articles, won't deliver what we really were expecting. We're still early in development, so we could easily shift focus to different settings.
nikki
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2014, 09:19:04 AM »

I know, and many many people eagerly are waiting for that game, I'll be happy with 5% of the shares when you're done Wink
FGG
Level 0

Programmer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2014, 09:32:11 AM »

I know, and many many people eagerly are waiting for that game, I'll be happy with 5% of the shares when you're done Wink
Haha. I'll prototype it and see how it feels. It honestly sounds fun, and a lot different from all the other ground-based minecrafts out there. Plus, space exploration is starting to catch on. Might be the best time to catch the wave.
FGG
Level 0

Programmer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2014, 02:47:20 PM »

Testing out the limits (a lot). Added some ambient occlusion. Doing biome testing next.

FGG
Level 0

Programmer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2014, 09:45:20 PM »

Added a video of the cave testing.

FGG
Level 0

Programmer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2014, 06:51:35 PM »

Water is programmed in. Will have a video soon of water physics.

FGG
Level 0

Programmer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2014, 11:06:34 PM »

Added video demonstrating water spread physics. Simple, but will be expanded upon in the coming days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1iE4VvbxYI&feature=youtu.be
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2014, 09:20:23 PM »

the plot thickens

FGG
Level 0

Programmer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2014, 10:41:32 PM »

Haha, oh wow. The race begins indeed.
hraki
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2014, 03:55:04 AM »

The game will be offline only? xD
FGG
Level 0

Programmer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2014, 08:15:18 AM »

The game will be offline only? xD
It's going to be online. You'll be able to hook up with friends or other players to form sessions. We'll be setting up multiplayer next after I finish with water since it's a crucial element.
FGG
Level 0

Programmer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2014, 02:02:18 AM »

Spent the majority of the evening (and through the early morning x_x) finetuning the water physics. Almost there. But I must...sleep. Will do more after work.

Julien
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2014, 02:21:06 AM »

Water sleeps !
Good luck on your project (Even if personally I'm not into the minecraft graphics at all)

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic