Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411419 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 17, 2024, 10:27:05 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessEnd of Steam Greenlight?
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: End of Steam Greenlight?  (Read 3093 times)
qwurp
Level 0

"Oh you make games? Like an app?"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2014, 12:29:29 PM »

Nothing wrong with being a grouch. Apologize I see you were more specifically referencing self-criticism and/or honest criticism. And I do agree with that, not saying we should sugar-coat or avoid feedback on other games... honest feedback is the best for any developer.

I just hear so many devs complaining about how many games are appearing on Steam when sales prove time and time again that regardless of how indie and unbranded you are, your game will sell and it will organically grow if your game is good. I agree, no one wants to wade through the iTunes market but I think Valve is being pretty proactive on finding ways to solve its issues (can't say the same for Apple) and I don't think its as bleak a picture as so many people seem to paint it.
Eigen
Level 10

Brobdingnagian ding dong

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2014, 12:34:04 PM »

Yes, Apple's store front is so underdeveloped it begs great many questions. Do they even have the incentive to change anything since, you know, it's not likely the money stops pouring in any time soon. It would be awesome if the search APIs for those services were available so different clients could be provided. I have no doubt some startup would solve the App Store problem in some clever way.

SouldomainTM
Level 0

"In Science We Trust"

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2014, 03:32:28 AM »

The customer reviews can help a lot to choose a game. Does someone know how the overall score is calculated? I've got the impression that only an actual review counts towards the end score but if a review was helpful it doesn't have any additional weight.

The Steam FAQ only says this:

Q. Do these written reviews create an overall score or rating for a product?
A. Not yet, but we are looking to add that during the beta. Many products on Steam change significantly over time as the game or software is updated and new content is added. In order to form a score that accurately reflects the current state of a product, we first need to gather and evaluate the data from reviews.

This FAQ entry seems also to be a bit out of date. Because games do have an overall score now. Oh, by the way. Games with an "Overwhelmingly Positive", so with a score of 95% or higher, should have a golden thumb in the search results, not a blue one. Just for glory!

... and games with a red thumb should not appear at all!  Evil

friken
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2014, 01:54:11 PM »

I think most devs would love to see greenlight change for the better.... you know better as in 'whatever gets MY game in' Smiley

temp_56778
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2014, 05:13:28 AM »

not sure if i'm imagining things but i don't think my visitor number has risen at all since they changed the Steam's front page

edit: nope visitor count just went up
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 05:22:52 AM by temp_56778 » Logged
Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2014, 09:05:54 PM »

So, I'm seeing lots of comments of what happens to existing games, but I have the feeling this will affect mostly new games on Steam (especially the recommendations, curators seems to be more of the same on the other hand). I think I'd rather wait until I see what happens with those.
Julien
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2014, 04:14:53 AM »

I'm maybe throwing a stone in the water but isn't it time to develop a steam alternative by the community for the community ?

Sure, but eventually you'll reach oversaturation of games and then you're stuck with the good old discovery problem yet again. How would you prevent that?

Would be nice.. But I don't see it happening soon Shocked Steam is such a huge (and mostly well done) platform..

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic