Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 19, 2024, 01:17:47 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsFORGET THE BRAKES [RELEASED WEB & ANDROID & IOS]
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: FORGET THE BRAKES [RELEASED WEB & ANDROID & IOS]  (Read 8331 times)
fonserbc
Level 0

I like trains

View Profile WWW
« on: September 23, 2014, 07:24:59 AM »

I worked on a game last spring 2014 in order to present a game to the Swedish Game Awards and I was quite happy with the result so that I have decided to push it onward and finish it asap.

We'll be Multi-Track Drifting!

A game about driving a train without brakes by Multi-Track Drifting.

Gameplay gif:

FORGET THE BRAKES - We'll be Multi-Track Drifting is a runner, I'm looking for something more like a Super Hexagon kind of runner.

Two train engineers are working on building their own machines! But they forgot to add the brakes! But they will be multi-track drifting their way through the railway. No stopping required!

I'm the developer and my partner TingLo is working in the art, both music, sound and graphics.
We are using Unity with 2D physics.

Teaser of the game music!

Teaser Trailer

Gameplay Trailer

I showcased it in the GameLab Barcelona 2015 late June.

It is released on the web (as a demo) and downloadable, in android and ios.

The demo web version is free, and the other platforms are available from 1 euro/dollar.

I'll try to log here as much as I can.

Screenshots
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 01:25:56 AM by fonserbc » Logged

Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2014, 08:01:35 AM »

This looks really neat, keep it up! Smiley

nox
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 11:33:44 AM »

Oh my fuck, I love this. Your description reminded me of my

, but it's really much much cooler. When can I play this?

Krux
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 04:39:14 PM »

I just have to say it looks super cool.
fonserbc
Level 0

I like trains

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2014, 01:44:21 AM »

Thanks for the nice replies Smiley
Oh my fuck, I love this. Your description reminded me of my

, but it's really much much cooler. When can I play this?
Going to try to give it a big push this month, so expect to hear more from me soon!

aerloth
Level 0

void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2014, 02:55:53 AM »

Oh god, yes! Hope the end result will be as intense as this legendary image:

Keep up keep up!
Scott
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2014, 05:43:09 AM »

Yes, this looks very cool. Let's see more!

fonserbc
Level 0

I like trains

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2014, 07:23:24 AM »

The team is now 2 people, TingLo joins the train!

I'm programming and my partner is working on the graphics (and soon music and sound aswell).

I completely reworked how the physics of the game, simplifying it a lot, which makes it run much smoother on mobile.

We started reworking the graphics. Moving from pixelated style to something more neat. We started by simplifying and creating new graphics for the rails, and moving all that we can into a sprite-sheet for performance purposes.

Here you can see a screenshot!
We are now working on changing the background as well, so it is a place-holder for now.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 11:20:59 PM by fonserbc » Logged

crusty
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2014, 12:57:29 PM »

This is the coolest thing I've ever seen, but I'm trying to figure out how you force the player to actually multi-drift.  Maybe I'm just a dumb drengus but couldn't you theoretically do the whole level by keeping your back wheels and front wheels on the same track?

Caravan: devlog | website
crusty
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2014, 01:07:58 PM »

This might take away from the realism (lol) but what if you had pieces of the track which disintegrated or fell apart as soon as they were crossed by the front wheels.  It could be like a rickety bridge over a river or just be colored differently so the player would have a visual cue.  This would force the player to drift the back wheels to a different piece of track

fonserbc
Level 0

I like trains

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2014, 07:04:51 PM »

This might take away from the realism (lol) but what if you had pieces of the track which disintegrated or fell apart as soon as they were crossed by the front wheels.  It could be like a rickety bridge over a river or just be colored differently so the player would have a visual cue.  This would force the player to drift the back wheels to a different piece of track
Hehe That was one of my concerns from the very beginning.

Originally the game was more about collecting stuff (let's call it coal) that was placed between the rails. The only way to actually collect the coal was to multi-track drift between the rails the coal was.

By letting other people play I realized that it was actually really hard for players to both concentrate in recollecting the coal and drive the train at the same time, and realized that driving was actually much more fun than recollecting. So I eventually removed the coal recollection.

Then I introduced the divider tracks:

(Graphics WIP)

They basically force you to split, to multi-track drift, they have 2 directions or states and once one part of the train passes through it, switches to the other direction. They change your state, so you have to be prepared or expect it beforehand.

It all fits nicely with the Change-Action progression of the mechanics that I can talk more whenever I finish this Smiley

crusty
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2014, 08:36:30 PM »

Ahh I see. Thanks for the explanation.  I didn't catch the fact that the train was forced to change direction in the gifs

HopelessComposer
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2014, 12:11:52 AM »

Severe lack of eurobeat going on in your trailer.

Just kidding. I still liked it. I'll be waiting for this. Wink
fonserbc
Level 0

I like trains

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2014, 11:10:42 PM »

The background is completely new now, added several parallax layers, both for the background and for the train.

It adds so much depth to the world, and, in my opinion, looks great.

We moved away from the pixelated low-res sprites towards something more smooth looking. I think it looks much better. Originally I was doing the art, the one on the video for the SGA, so I used low-resolution 8-bit like sprites because I'm more comfortable working with low resolutions on art: less work. But TingLo is doing the graphics now and we are working with Illustrator, so keeping the resolution low now is meaningless, and she fancies higher resolutions anyway Tongue

fonserbc
Level 0

I like trains

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2014, 08:45:29 AM »

More work on the background and the art!

We made 3 stages and 3 trains, each stage adds new mechanic to the rail generation and each train is faster.

We added this 2 characters which makes the explanation of the divided controls easier to understand first time.

Bonus gameplay gif!

fonserbc
Level 0

I like trains

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2014, 11:09:53 PM »

We thought over the name for a while and we have finally decided to rename the game.

Multi-Track Drifting is not an easy name to remember, and maybe just people familiar with the concept before will remember.

After some discussion with friends and other people we have decided to name the game:

FORGET THE BRAKES
We'll be Multi-Track Drifting!

crusty
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2014, 01:19:12 AM »

#whereissanta

sec32
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2014, 11:52:44 AM »

This is awesome. It just feels like it needs destruction, some way or another. Nad particles. Lots of particles.
fonserbc
Level 0

I like trains

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2015, 12:56:33 AM »

TingLo worked on the music!

Here's a teaser Smiley

https://soundcloud.com/yenting-lo/forget-the-brakes-indie-game-teaser

James Edward Smith
Level 2

Mover & Shaker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2015, 07:39:57 AM »

I think this would feel better if the multitrack drifting was actually being use to "make a turn".

What I mean is, you're driving this train that is going really fast, and going around a turn while just on one track, if you're going too fast you'll tip over and crash. Where as if you drift onto multiple tracks, your weight distributed better and you can take the bend faster without flipping over. I guess my idea would be for more of a racing game though. Either racing other trains or some sort of clock, like trying to keep a tight schedule. Add in actually having to stop at stops to get passengers at as close to set times as possible and that could be pretty fun.

Pike `n Shot  the first pshmup ever made. Twitter:@JamesEdSmith
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic