Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 09:16:29 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesGauntlet
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Gauntlet  (Read 1916 times)
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« on: September 24, 2014, 02:16:43 AM »

http://store.steampowered.com/app/258970/

This is a thing now, and it's extremely tempting. What are your thoughts on it? Any dums out there who'd be willing to 4-pack this and co-op with me?

Watch the trailer for some epic food-shooting action.

My finished games: Griddy RPG
My current project: SummonerRL
On hold: Griddy Heroes
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 03:00:52 AM »

basically the charm of gauntlet has always been that it's this messy chaotic game that is just about mindlessly killing millions of mooks that is somehow incredibly fun in co-op. this applies to everything from the first gauntlet right down to dark legacy (the best).

if the new one is like that, i'm down (but will wait for a sale probably). if it's somehow "balanced" or "well designed" according to traditional game desgin rules, i don't give a fuck. there are enough of those co-op dungeon crawlers out there.

(btw, im cautious because seven sorrows tried to be more of a "normal game" and was complete shit)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 03:06:22 AM by C.A. Silbereisen » Logged
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 03:16:58 AM »

From what I've seen/heard of it so far, it's a remake of the original arcade Gauntlet, not any of the sequels (like Dark Legacy).

Also it's made by the same company that created Magicka, which breaks pretty much every "modern" design rule out there haha.

Uykered
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 04:17:48 AM »

basically the charm of gauntlet has always been that it's this messy chaotic game that is just about mindlessly killing millions of mooks

Sounds like every video game ever
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 04:59:23 AM »

fifa games want to have a talk with you

TacoBell_Lord
Level 2

Burrito Connoisseur

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2014, 05:12:09 AM »

If they have the same announcer that tells you when THE WIZARD HEALTH IS LOW then yeah I could get with it...but

Gauntlet Legends will always be mi amore  Smiley

RPG Gamer/Burrito Addict

Explore the Cosmos. Working on Project 88x doods.
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2014, 07:20:05 PM »

I've got it wishlisted, but I'm waiting for a sale as well. And a budget. v.v'

It looks genuinely up to par - watching Northernlion and company plod through it. A little more Smash TV/Isaac-like than first expected, because it seems like you have to clean out mobs room-by-room. In fact... it's a lot like Isaac with multiplayer and some competition in loot-grabbing.

[RM8]
Level 10

☆☆☆☆☆

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2014, 07:30:12 PM »

Cross-posting from the "what are you playing?" thread (explaining why I didn't really like it):

First, it has weird technical issues. It exits full-screen mode when I try to turn the volume up or down, and making it go full screen again is difficult. Controls - you either play with a 360 controller or KB+M (it doesn't detect my USB controller, the one I use for PC gaming). KB+M is pretty bad IMO... WASD for movement, mouse for aiming and attacking, but you also need shift and spacebar, it's kind of clunky. And there's no way to configure controls at all, which is weird. There's a short forced tutorial where you have to learn to play as the 4 classes, IMO the wizard is terrible, but some people seem to like it since apparently it's similar to Magicka. Then the gameplay doesn't feel fun at all, it's kind of bland. Finally, and this is an issue on my part, the game seems to be quite demanding for my toaster of a PC, which runs stuff like Diablo III, Ultra Street Fighter IV, DmC, Mortal Kombat 9, Sonic Racing Transformed, etc. but not this game. I had to use low settings (which I'm fine with) and 720p, which I'm also fine with if the game would upscale instead of forcing me to play with huge black borders, and it still won't go above a very unstable ~25fps.
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2014, 08:52:44 PM »

Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2014, 10:22:28 PM »

I gave this a go with my buddy last night. My verdict is that it's an awesome party game (easy for anyone to pick up and play + local co-op works great) and great for multiplayer due to the synergy between the classes. The negatives are mostly technical stuff (game is still quite buggy but that's to be expected considering what Magicka looked like), class balance (the warrior is horribad, but the other classes seem ok) and a general lack of content (you can beat the game in ~6 hours). Hopefully those things will get worked out in future patches/content packs because the core gameplay is absolutely solid.

I've heard some people complain that the player progression is too limited (changing your loadout is purely cosmetic) but I actually like that the players are more or less on an even playing field. If the equipment granted big bonuses then the game would probably feel unfair for those who are jumping in when their buddies have already played a long time. This is what I think separates a pure dungeon crawler like Gauntlet from games like Diablo and Path of Exile. Everyone is valuable to the party regardless of whether they've played for 50 hours or they're just starting out.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 01:19:23 AM by Nillo » Logged

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2014, 09:28:04 AM »

I gave this a go with my buddy last night. My verdict is that it's an awesome party game (easy for anyone to pick up and play + local co-op works great)

good that's what i wanted to hear!

still gonna wait for a sale tho
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2014, 02:34:18 PM »

Looks cool, but yeah, I can wait for a sale and inevitable content patches/cheap-o DLC
bitserum
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2014, 02:15:33 AM »

I'm loving it and playing solo currently. It's fun and getting the hang of wizard is really gratifying.
Multiplayer should be a blast. The downside is it's a bit repetitive, but I don't mind yet.

edit: I just beat it with wizard on normal (kb and mouse) and it's... underwhelming. Once you get used to the controls the game becomes really easy. I barely lost any health on the last boss fight. Not sure if I want to attempt harder modes.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 09:33:01 AM by bitserum » Logged
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2014, 09:58:05 AM »

Seems like it's distinctly lacking in level design, critical thinking, or any gameplay mechanics other than the jump pads. AND it's only 12 levels, not the huge undertaking that the classics are. Kind of like it's only the least of both worlds, rather than the best of them.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2014, 10:57:47 AM »

Seems like it's distinctly lacking in level design, critical thinking

yep that's gauntlet
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2014, 11:40:18 AM »

I was about to say .. what'd you expect? Shrug
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2014, 08:00:48 PM »

An actual return to 80s Gauntlet? Heck, even a direct HD port or something. Oh well, glad I held out and didn't preorder or anything. /sigh

battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2014, 01:44:06 AM »

It's great fun, the 4 classes are really distinct and it plays really well.
I never lost track of my character on screen which positively surprised me.

The levels and situations are pretty repetitive. Some more variety would be cool here! (Enemy types, items to use that damn 'Interact' button on, win conditions)
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2014, 12:01:55 PM »

Big patch is out today. They've added the ability to join in-progress games, text chat, skippable cutscenes, nerfed Valk charge, buffed Warrior charge. Warrior might have a couple more buffs but the charge thing seems like the most noticeable adjustment from what I can tell. It's almost instant so you can easily escape with it now.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic