Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 10:00:17 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Apply texture on 3d to get iso
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Apply texture on 3d to get iso  (Read 1054 times)
NazGhuL
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: September 24, 2014, 08:57:42 AM »

Hi!
I'm not good when it comes to draw something.
But as a part-time indie developer I need to do the best I can.
I've started to play around with Isometric tiles. (For now I use unoriginal cube... Undecided)
The best solution I've found for now if to create a cube on a 3d modeler then apply a texture
on each side, set the camera at the right angle save that to .png and use them.

Problem 1:
For perfect isometric view I need that the width of the top (diamond shape) twice the height. (Of the top).
That's hard to find the right angle. I did it with trial and error.

Problem 2:
It's a little bit hard to make seemless tile.

Anyone have some recomandation? A software to use?

Thank you!

Please visit www.naztail.com for more information about me.
joseph ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 09:14:59 AM »

Okay you're going to either:

a- need to make a specific setup (save a scene, or even better, a script or something) in your 3d software so you get consistent pixel/perfect camera distance and fov and everything.

b- Do it with transformations in photoshop/illustrator/whatever and touch it up by hand.

clockwrk_routine
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 10:58:31 AM »

Problem 1:
In Blender I set my camera to be orthographic, and rotate it 60 degrees on the x axis, and 0 degrees on the y and z axis. You're camera will be in isometric view now, basically just rotate any object in front at 45 degrees on the y axis.  Rendering takes the view port of the camera any how, if you're rasterizing your models.  

you can tab into camera view with numpad 0

problem 2:

In blender you can use the array modifier, to multiply the mesh along the x axis, another array modifier and you can multiply it along y axis forming a seamless field to check for seam issues.  You can go in texture paint mode and paint along the edges to make it more seamless, it'll update your results across the other objects since you're just rendering to one texture.

surt
Level 7

Meat by-product.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 12:12:38 PM »

What keo said plus set the camera ortho scale to sqrt(2) * screen_tile_width for 1:1 tile to blender units.

Real life would be so much better with permadeath.
PJ Gallery - OGA Gallery - CC0 Scraps
clockwrk_routine
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 03:49:31 PM »

what's screen tile width?
surt
Level 7

Meat by-product.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2014, 06:21:26 PM »

Full width of tile in screen-space in pixels. Screen-left corner to opposing screen-right corner.

Real life would be so much better with permadeath.
PJ Gallery - OGA Gallery - CC0 Scraps
NazGhuL
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2014, 06:34:12 PM »

I'm realy close using blender. Just can't apply a texture! Sad
I'll show my progress when I get trough.

clockwrk_routine
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2014, 09:49:35 PM »

Full width of tile in screen-space in pixels. Screen-left corner to opposing screen-right corner.
ah ok

@nazghul, while in edit mode hit "u" to unwrap, for the default cube, use cube projection to lay out your uv's - or mark the seams to get it to unwrap the way you want using the other options.  (you can also manually tweak your uv's in the image editor after)

So right your UV islands will appear in the image editor panel when your object is in edit mode.  there's a plus sign along the toolbar that'll let you create a new texture that you can paint on, or you can hit "image > open image".

It'll then show on your model in the 3d view if you have the view set to texture (view can be set by the dropdown box next to the "modes" dropdown box in the taskbar of 3d view).

That's good you can now view your object with the texture applied buuutt

then you need to set the object's material texture to that image inorder to get it to render correctly.  So in the properties panel, hit the texture tab(it's the red checkerboard), in the "type:" dropdown box set it to "image or movie".  then scroll to mapping, and change "coordinates:" to 'UV'

you'll probably want to look through the rest of material and texture tabs before rendering.
NazGhuL
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2014, 03:19:56 AM »

Thank you guys. I get it. For now I got better result using sketchup. I'll give a try with photoshop 3d too.
Have a good day.
(+1 to the awesomeness of this forum!) Grin

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic