Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411273 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 12:46:09 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignNeed help with boss ideas
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Need help with boss ideas  (Read 1227 times)
shay.yizhak
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: September 25, 2014, 08:06:20 AM »

Hi there,

I'm working on a 2.5D platformer, where you play as a fighter trying to bring down huge monsters. Basically, each level is a single boss fight that lasts through the entire level. If you've ever heard of "Shadow of the colossus" - you know what I'm talking about.

BUT

Unlike "Shadow of the colossus" the main attraction of the game is the fact that each boss will be different. In "Shadow of the colossus" the goals were pretty much the same - climb the boss, find his weak spot - and stab it until he drops. I'm trying to create a game where each boss is different and unique, and the process of fighting him is different.

And I need help with boss ideas.

I have 2 examples of bosses I thought of, but I hope you guys can give me some better ideas:
1. Boss 1 will be a huge tall creature. The entire level will be the player's effort to actually climb the boss and reach his head (his weak-spot). All the while, the boss will try to shake him off, while destroying some of the platforms the players is using to jump.
2. Boss 2 will be a huge create - but a round one, and his head will be in the center. While the player tried to climb the boss and reach the center, the boss will rotate from time to time (90, 180, 270 or even 360 degrees). When he does - the player will need to survive the rotation, and climb a completely different path to the top (which may change again any time).

So, think outside the box, and if you have any ideas - I'm eagerly waiting to hear them.

Thanks,
-Shay

baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 09:52:44 AM »

A pair of worm/snake creatures you can manuever between in different and interesting ways?

A circular boss that you have to rotate by running along the top of it, striking a sequence of points on it a few times, with different obstacles each time (bullets, spinny firestick-kind of things, etc.)?

An actual shadow that you beat by hitting switches to switch active lights to shine on and "attack" it? Indirect combat like that can go a long ways.

I know La Mulana had some of the most terrific boss designs like this, too. I would check some of them out for inspiration, as well.

Snail_Man
Level 0

It's Snail_Man

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 10:50:13 AM »

A couple (very) random ideas:

-A floating mage character that you try to hit, but he can rotate the gravity in the room to try and keep you away. (Perhaps a tad difficult from a technical standpoint)
-A boss that is a sort of antimatter version of the player, that has his exact abilities, (Except perhaps amped up attacks, speed, and strength if you don't want to make the AI good enough to beat the player in a fair fight)
-A large zombie which you slowly rip all the limbs off, but the limbs still attempt to kill you once removed
-An anthropomorphic flame that lights everything it touches on fire, and attempts to follow you. If you can lure it into water, it becomes momentarily weak, at which time you can damage it.
-A crazy computer screen that makes you go through the first levels of classic games (Pong, Pac-Man, Space Invaders), to damage it
-A pair of eyeballs, played on a background of a face missing its eyes. The eyes attempt to follow you, and if you try to jump on one to attack it, the other will try to knock you off
-A set of Russian nesting dolls, and whenever you hurt it, another smaller one comes out

Do it
Then do it right
Then do it well
zombieonion
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2014, 06:29:00 PM »

OP I don't think you've played Shadow of the Colossus enough to say that all of it's bosses are the same. Watch a let's play series of that game on youtube to see what they are. Many of them are quite interesting, and can be an inspiration to you.
Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2014, 06:59:39 PM »

A boss that splits into 42 pieces.
shay.yizhak
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 02:04:08 AM »

OP I don't think you've played Shadow of the Colossus enough to say that all of it's bosses are the same. Watch a let's play series of that game on youtube to see what they are. Many of them are quite interesting, and can be an inspiration to you.

Just to be clear: I loved "Shadow of the Colossus". I'm just trying to say, I'm not copying the exact same game, but doing something different. In "Shadow" all the bosses had a lot of common features, and I'm trying to create a game where the bosses are completely different from one another.

bombjack
Level 3

That's me :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 02:50:57 AM »

Here are some ideas:

- a boss that will split in 2 smaller version of himself after a certain amount of damage
- twins monsters that you have to kill nearly at the same time or they will come back to live
- a boss with an aura that makes damage to the player
- a boss with a changing polarity; you need to move it to a different spot when polarity changes
- an inuverable boss is chasing you and you have to click on crystals to stun him and make him vuneral for some time
- a boss with several minions you need to kill before being able to make damage to the boss
- several statues, with specific abilities, that animates randomly one after the other
- a boss that take the attributes of an element and change several times during the fight
- a boss spawning 2 types of orbs at regular time interval. 1st type will heal the boss if it reaches it. The 2nd will throw a laser at you.

shay.yizhak
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2014, 03:12:26 AM »

Just so you'll know, I'm writing everything down. Later, I'll take those (great) ideas and check which ones can be developed to a boss fight fitting my game. Expect a demo soon...

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2014, 12:35:35 AM »

Be your own boss

Kyle O
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2014, 01:39:51 PM »

What else can the player do besides stab? How many times can the player jump in the air? Can the player swim in water?

my twitter. my itch.io page.
OttselKnight
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2014, 01:28:35 PM »

What else can the player do besides stab? How many times can the player jump in the air? Can the player swim in water?

This is very important.

A cool boss idea is still inferior to a cool boss idea built around the game mechanics. In fact, its best to make the boss cool BECAUSE of how the mechanics work. What limitations are put on the player? Is there a delay or other cost to any of his actions? can they acquire new abilities, and are these temporary or permanent? What does the player value most (ie., jumping, slashing, shooting, dodging) while fighting?

These ideas and mechanics will certainly evolve as you create the game, but even giving us a general idea of what you have right now would be helpful for us to work with.

Given the limited data I can only think of a few vague things that might be interesting.
  • What about a spirit that can possess multiple buildings you have to climb, and has different powers based on those buildings?
  • An enemy that spawns minions every time you hit it, making the fight harder as time goes on
  • An enemy that cannot be damages until you lure it into certain traps
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic