Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411505 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 07:22:59 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessMy Entire IndieDev Education
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: My Entire IndieDev Education  (Read 820 times)
lionfish
« on: September 25, 2014, 12:40:53 PM »

Hey Everyone,

I compiled my education since starting Indie Dev 2 years ago.  I came with 0 skills (veteran / mech. engineer).  

I like to learn, so I've been reading lots of books.

Anyway, here's my list of training http://lionroot.com/indiedev-education/.  

Let me know if you have book or course suggestions.

If you have questions on training / books, I take extensive notes, just lemme know.

-Bryan
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 01:15:55 PM by lionfish » Logged
rhill
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 02:41:29 PM »

There are a couple greyed-out categories with no links. Can I presume those aren't written yet?

Business and marketing are probably where I'm weakest, but it's kind of overwhelming to see a list of 20 things. If you had to boil those sections down to two or three most valuable, what would they be?

It might be my own bias, since I come from a web development background, but if I were to point out any gaps in your education, I notice there isn't anything on graphic design. There will be some overlap with your art books, but graphic design is much more focused on systematically communicating information, which I think comes in handy for games.

Also you don't mention GameFeel which is probably my #1 pick for a book all game developers should read.

Julien
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 08:42:21 PM »

Thanks for sharing Smiley

lionfish
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 12:57:47 PM »

Hey Rhill!

Thanks for the book recommendation!  I was hoping that by posting that page, I would get some feedback and advice.  I just put a request into my library for that book.  Thanks again! 

I'm still working on those categories that have no links.  I updated my site so that it shows that I'm still working on them too; thanks for your input!

I would like to hear any books you might suggest on graphic design.  I haven't read much on it, but I think they would definitely apply to games. 

For the essential books, I'd say Platform by Michael Hyatt if you don't have a website set up, and just understanding that your goal is to bring everyone back to your website for the sale.  The War of Art is one of the best books I'd recommend for pursing your dream.  3rd book I'd say is The One Thing by Gary Keller to emphasize on getting the One Thing done each day so that you complete your game.

-Bryan
lionfish
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 01:18:03 PM »

Thanks for sharing Smiley

Thanks JulienBe!  Let me know if you have any recommendations!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic