Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411496 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 06:56:22 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessGame Pricing Poll
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Game Pricing Poll  (Read 793 times)
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« on: September 25, 2014, 02:51:30 PM »

Curious how much people might be paying at full price for a

*highly desired* (for the player)

10-15+ hour, low replay-value (e.g.: Aquaria? some others) game. This probalby applies to some recent/in-dev metroidvania sorts of games too.

Note htere's single-vote enforcement so if you're from the same IP as someone it won't let you vote if they already voted.

http://strawpoll.me/2645447

My previous poll (with 62 votes) told me that for that sort of game (without mentioning low replay-value), the "sweet spot" for pricing would be around the middle of 15-20 dollars (in terms of maximizing revenue, though you would be pricing a minority of people out).

Then perhaps you'd go a dollar or so below, since that price is for people that reallllly want the game which might be the minority of people who are potential buyers, idk. I'm open to anyone with more marketing/econ knowledge

play hydlide 2
RudyTheDev
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 03:55:42 PM »

I think game devs have a different idea of how much games are worth than your actual customers. So I believe you will get a biased sample size on this forum.

jolene
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 05:35:36 PM »

i voted 20 "if i really want it" but i rarely want a game and dont have much money to spend on a game so it might vary
Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2014, 07:32:42 PM »

Honestly the number of hours is misleading. I mean, I have been playing Race the Sun many more times than Half-Life 2, yet Steam tells me I've played the latter more hours than the former (despite definitely feeling the opposite way). So yeah, don't trust that.

I'd say the production value matters more than anything else in a player's perception. I mean, it doesn't matter how epic a game is if it's using simplified pixel art and barebones chiptune music.
cynicalsandel
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2014, 08:02:22 PM »

$15. I think most people willing to pay 10-14 dollars will highly consider it at 15, but less people willing to at 20 instead of 15. No evidence or anything, just purely my gut feeling.

Plus, $15 just feels good to me. I could impulse buy something at 15 dollars.

melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2014, 08:13:37 PM »

I think game devs have a different idea of how much games are worth than your actual customers. So I believe you will get a biased sample size on this forum.

yep, this is true, so i'm guessing that a bit below the 'optimum point' might work best. right now that point is possibly barely below or above $15...so I think that $15 might be the best price. would like to get some bigger youtubers to do this too

play hydlide 2
knifeySpoonie
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2014, 11:50:54 PM »

I think one of the key things is a good price point that won't be savaged by sale prices... I mean a lot of your sales will come at 50% off or more :S so if you start too low, your sale price is already going to leave you with very little...

If the game is good, then $20 is a reasonable price... most sales will come later with humble bundle or steam seasonal sales... but at least even then you're able to do a 50% cut on the steam sales without looking at it thinking... "man I'm going to get like 50c a sale after tax :S

Founder and Creative Director |  KnifeySpoonie Games  |  Tpickarddev.com | @TPickardDev
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic