Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411431 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 02:51:19 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralGood dev mouse with decent middle button
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Good dev mouse with decent middle button  (Read 1151 times)
Interface
Level 0

View Profile
« on: September 27, 2014, 06:07:20 AM »

For ages I've been a fan of Microsoft mice. Now that I'm learning Blender however, the wheel-gone-middle-button is annoying the hell out of me.
So, I'm looking for recommendations. I like the somewhat larger mice, but I'm open to any suggestions. Does anyone have good feedback on using a trackball for game dev? I'm wondering if that perhaps works well for Blender-type of work (ie, better accuracy)?
Julien
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2014, 06:12:14 AM »

a cm storm inferno ? Not too expensive, all the buttons are nice and they are programmable
Trackball ?  Waaagh!

Interface
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2014, 06:22:02 AM »

So I assume those buttons below the wheel can then be middle mouse (programmed)?

Trackball ?  Waaagh!
Yeah, I dunno, exploring all options Shrug
Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2014, 02:37:30 PM »

I never had issues with the wheeled middle button, so I can't give any suggestions. In fact it seems to be the most reliable of all (I had left and right buttons breaking before). What I do tend to have issues with though is the wheel itself not being reliable (lost the count of times I want to scroll up and it scrolls down instead).
Müsta Klaki
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2014, 10:02:06 PM »

Not exactly sure what you mean by "the wheel-gone-middle-button is annoying the hell out of me."

You mean, you want one with a wheel? Wheel-gone... annoying you... having no wheel is annoying you?
I've had an E-Blue Type L for over a year and I love the thing. Cost me like 25 bucks. I don't know exactly what makes a good "Dev mouse", but it's got a DPI switch, it's very comfortable and it has back and forward buttons. The wheel is indent and has good grip, and isn't slippery. And my favourite part... LEDs.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 10:11:25 PM by Mustaklaki » Logged

Dragonmaw
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2014, 10:32:22 PM »

Logitech G500.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 02:13:41 AM »

Not exactly sure what you mean by "the wheel-gone-middle-button is annoying the hell out of me."

You mean, you want one with a wheel? Wheel-gone... annoying you... having no wheel is annoying you?

i think he wants a mouse where the middle button and the wheel are not the same thing. do those even exist?
Julien
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2014, 02:25:08 AM »

Well, on the inferno you can configure pretty much everything. I'll check tonight if you can assign middle mouse to one of the middle buttons

Interface
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2014, 05:40:06 PM »

i think he wants a mouse where the middle button and the wheel are not the same thing. do those even exist?

Yes indeed. The wheel on mine is too loose, so usually clicking middle button also results in scrolling. Or other way around, sometimes it seems to only register the scrolling because of that, and ignores that I actually clicked it although I surely feel it click. This happens in Blender all the time, I have to middle click a few times before it actually registers. It's quite possible my mouse is just old and bad. Regardless, I'll take any recommendation.

I heard a lot about the Logitech ones - may go that route. The Microcenter close to here used to have mice out so you could try (at least the feel of) them, but seems like they got rid of that.
Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2014, 07:20:12 PM »

Hmmm, your issue seems to be more a faulty mouse than actually the wheeled button. I never have that issue, but it may be because the wheel moves in steps so it's hard to make it scroll unintentionally (you have to be intentionally pushing up/down for it to even spin).
nikki
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2014, 11:01:25 AM »

Logitech G500.

+1
mks
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2014, 11:11:52 AM »

idk 'bout the G500, but the Logitech MX™518 is a decent mouse, too. Been using it since more than 3 years and have no complaints.

Where's the Spelunky 2 DevLog, Derek?
Interface
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2014, 05:31:10 PM »

Got the G500s today. It was $99 on Newegg, ~$70/80 on Amazon, but found it at MicroCenter for $49.99.

I'm impressed, good mouse. My life search for a new mouse is finally over. Thanks for the suggestions.
Boreal
Level 6

Reinventing the wheel

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2014, 09:09:23 PM »

I have a G300 that I bought for $20 3 years ago at a Target, still working like a charm.  The clicker mousewheel is still firm and it even has buttons for dynamically changing the DPI.

"In software, the only numbers of significance are 0, 1, and N." - Josh Barczak

magma - Reconstructed Mantle API
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic