Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411511 Posts in 69375 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 02:25:05 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)From paper to digital
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: From paper to digital  (Read 950 times)
Interface
Level 0

View Profile
« on: September 27, 2014, 06:18:07 AM »

I have very poor drawing skills. A friend of mine is an excellent artist, but he has virtually no computer skills. He's not much of a gamer either, but he can run with ideas so perfectly, I'd love to involve him in some projects.
What would you recommend?  What's a solid process for transforming paper art to digital. Do you scan and then draw over the drawings? Do you redo the concept art entirely using digital means? I'm looking to see what other people do, if there is a "norm", and if it's a bad idea to have my friend make drawings and have me digitize them (I was thinking of scanning and making digital drawings over his art).
jtfjtfjtf
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2014, 09:15:18 AM »

You can scan line art and then color it in photoshop or whatever program you choose. If you or your friend have a tablet like a wacom you can just do everything digitally. Both are considered normal things to do.

Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2014, 08:19:31 PM »

That's what I used to do with the pics I uploaded to Pixiv (stopped doing so when I lost the means to scan the pics, gotta find something new). The problem is being competent when redrawing the pic, something which in my case is not true =P (so I end up with the equivalent of low quality hi-res pixelart)
s-spooky g-g-ghosts
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2014, 02:04:19 AM »

There are various methods depending on what you want to achieve. This is the most regular problem, so I recommend just googling it.

Jondog
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2014, 02:48:46 AM »

Art drawn on paper needs to be scanned in and then either redrawn in a digital art program or tweaked in something like photoshop to fix things like contrast and colour saturation.

Interface
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2014, 07:37:11 AM »

Thanks. Trial by error is probably most useful here.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic