Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411421 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 18, 2024, 04:19:30 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessPixel Puzzle - where did I failed marketing this game?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Pixel Puzzle - where did I failed marketing this game?  (Read 1182 times)
Zoglu
Level 0

View Profile
« on: September 28, 2014, 01:05:50 AM »

Hello everyone  Beer!
I've just released an Android puzzle game, called Pixel Puzzle. You can install it from here.

It's free with no IAP. I made

. I followed Pixel Prospector's guide to contact press (sent like 80 mails, got 2 articles on small gaming websites). I tried to polish the game as much as I could and I think art and music are at least decent. I gave the game to some friends long before release, to improve it based on their remarks. So far every people who played the game told me they liked it and had fun with it for at least 2 hours (it takes at least 8 hours to complete it).

And now, I have a fantastic amount of 9 installs Sad
So I'd like to know why. I know there are like 1000 games released each day on mobile platforms and that marketing an indie game is pretty hard, but still. Could there be something I missed or did wrong? Or is my game just bad?
Any suggestions or ideas will be very appreciated  Wink
Julien
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 01:12:37 AM »

Well, based on the trailer I don't really get the game  Shrug

Zoglu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2014, 01:34:23 AM »

I understand, maybe I should have made a longer trailer, but I can't believe this is the only reason. Some people don't watch trailers before installing a mobile game.
Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2014, 02:33:13 AM »

Well, based on the trailer I don't really get the game  Shrug
It's basically 2D Rubik Cube (Rubik Square?). At least that's the impression I get.

But yeah huh... the problem is that this doesn't look attractive at all. I may have understood the trailer but it didn't seem to be interesting (showing more gameplay would be nice), and the name isn't helping (not so much the name itself, but rather the premise it seems to be describing). Even a non-descriptive name would be better (at least it leaves you wondering what it could be refering to, which can make the user try to look more closely to see what it's about).
temp_56778
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2014, 02:56:27 AM »

you have to ask why anybody would want to play your game over the thousands of other similar games
Zoglu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2014, 07:44:07 AM »

Well then could you show me some similar games? I didn't think there were that many "rubik's square" games there...

Even a non-descriptive name would be better (at least it leaves you wondering what it could be refering to, which can make the user try to look more closely to see what it's about).
Interesting idea. Actually I think the name fits the gameplay mechanics very well, but you may be right, a non-descriptive name could be more appealing.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 08:00:34 AM by Zoglu » Logged
Müsta Klaki
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2014, 09:16:10 AM »

Well then could you show me some similar games? I didn't think there were that many "rubik's square" games there...

Doesn't matter what kind of puzzle... it's a puzzle game on the mobile marketplace. Of course it's not going to do well...

rhill
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2014, 02:54:44 PM »

It's a puzzle game with coloured tiles in a grid. That's what people are going to see at a glance. So yeah, their first impression is going to be that it's similar to thousands of other games.

If there's some other aspect that you think makes your game special and unique, then the key to marketing is do everything possible to make that their first impression instead.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic