Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411419 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 17, 2024, 07:05:46 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)how to deal with multiple screen resolutions
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: how to deal with multiple screen resolutions  (Read 765 times)
ryansumo
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« on: September 28, 2014, 07:16:58 PM »

Hi all,

I have a question that is tangentially related to art, so if it's in the wrong place I apologize. 

My friends and I are working on a strategy game, and we're looking to hit PC first.  This means multiple resolutions.  I'm concerned about how to deal with the graphics in this context.  So for example I've dealt with multiple resolutions before on mobile games.  With iOS the standard procedure is to create two sets of images for retina/regular screen density.  Given the amount of screen resolutions there are for PCs making multiple copies of each graphic would seem like a pretty onerous task.

Can anyone share how they've dealt with this before?  Thanks!

denzgd
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 10:37:33 PM »

Hi all,

I have a question that is tangentially related to art, so if it's in the wrong place I apologize. 

My friends and I are working on a strategy game, and we're looking to hit PC first.  This means multiple resolutions.  I'm concerned about how to deal with the graphics in this context.  So for example I've dealt with multiple resolutions before on mobile games.  With iOS the standard procedure is to create two sets of images for retina/regular screen density.  Given the amount of screen resolutions there are for PCs making multiple copies of each graphic would seem like a pretty onerous task.

Can anyone share how they've dealt with this before?  Thanks!

I asked a similar question a while back. The main answer I received was to do three sizes - one for smaller monitors, one for medium, and one for large resolution monitors. You establish a range for each, like 720 might be medium, but anything smaller would be small, and anything higher than 1080 could be large, and then just let the game scale based on that. And make sure the UI can adjust itself accordingly. Hope this helps.

Julien
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 02:23:57 AM »

Yep, my guess would be 2 assets.

I would also suggest that you think about the hdpi problem that is more and more present even on desktops.

You don't your users to be stuck with small text. You have to be able to adjust to zoom factor on the ui and on the game itself.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic