Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 04:20:20 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesGames that you remember but no one else does.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Print
Author Topic: Games that you remember but no one else does.  (Read 18051 times)
Taco Bot
Level 0

bona-fide human being

View Profile WWW
« on: September 29, 2014, 01:50:01 PM »

When I was a wee lad  Gentleman most of the games I played were found in thrift stores and yard sales. Actually, my favorite game of all time, Imagynasium for Windows 95, was picked up off of the $1 shelf at the local bargain barn. I could only find 2 or 3 reviews on it, but I eventually purchased a new copy to replace my old, badly scratched one.

Basically, you can travel between 3 main areas: The Jingle Jungle, The Curio Shop, and Downtown. The environments of all three areas are all semi-freaky Middens type collages. The cool part, however, is that you can take any piece of the collage with you to be used later. Each collage piece has a picture, sound, and word associated with it. You can take these to the Jingle Jungle to make them into "music", (if you can call it that) Downtown to make them into moving collages, or the Curio Shop to use them as illustration for stories. For a kid's game, this really does something different. Instead of trying to teach logical math, history, and literature skills, this game teaches art, creativity, and how to use your imagination! I'm surprised that it's not very popular.

Next would come Giga Games. A little more widely known, this is a DOS disk containing various demos, and graphical samples; along with freeware and shareware games. Some notable titles include Duke Nukem... and that's about it. Sadly, I couldn't find any screenshots for that one.

Any odd games from your childhood? Post 'em here!

Sent from my iPhone.
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 02:31:00 PM »

Dust: A Tale of the Wired West, a point and click by Cyberflix; nobody knows about this thing but damn. it is the silliest damned thing, and i never managed to beat it

to a lesser extent (in that people actually somewhat know about it) is another point and click: Blade Runner by Westwood Studios (yes, the same guys responsible for Command and Conquer)

« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 02:37:17 PM by rj™ » Logged

mks
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 02:49:30 PM »

Played the shit out of Fury by Kevin A. Moughtin on my dads C16/+4. Good times, good times.  Smiley

Where's the Spelunky 2 DevLog, Derek?
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 03:08:15 PM »

Desperabis,  freeware first person action/adventure game. Split into 2 "episodes". The first one is more or less a Myst-esque game with (clunky) combat done in an FPS engine. It has some rather neat level design and is pretty atmospheric. It also does some things that feel surprisingly "modern" such as minimizing the HUD elements on screen. The second "episode" is much more of a shooter and a lot worse.

Unfortunately, being released as a DOS game in 2000 pretty much damned it to obscurity. It's also German-only so that probably didn't help. If it was released in, say, the mid 90s, it would probably have attained some kind of legendary status if only because its extremely ambitious and polished for a game made mostly by 1 person with a little outside help.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 04:46:32 PM by C.A. Silbereisen » Logged
Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 03:35:13 PM »

Glasnos III, some tetris game for DOS that apparently nobody seems to know about =/ And it won't even run on DOSBox for some reason (it fails the virus check), so I can't even take a screenshot (it works fine under Windows 98 but yeah huh, good luck taking a good screenshot there). I really wonder what Glasnos 3 is doing with the check because I know I can edit the dictionary in the executable and it won't trigger the check...
mks
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 04:10:22 PM »

I found something.

Where's the Spelunky 2 DevLog, Derek?
Praying Mantis
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 04:29:35 PM »

Weekend Warrior was an old Mac game that I played on my Dad's old computer. I'm not even sure where he got it or how it got on the computer, but I remember there being this game, Sim Tower, Mechwarrior 2, Descent 2 and a few other games installed on it. I discovered the game by trawling through the C: drive and finding the install folder, otherwise I would never have known it existed (no desktop shortcuts on the computer as far as I was aware). In fact it may have just been a demo that came pre-installed. I'm pretty sure Weekend Warrior was the first 3D game I ever played.

It was a zany beat-em-up with a gameshow setting. You could play as different characters in their respectively themed stages.

Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2014, 07:23:27 PM »

Hurray, screenshots! \o/ I wonder how they were taken, because it sure doesn't run on DOSBox (unless it did in some older version?).

Also it says "DOS/VGA" but do note it does work on CGA and EGA cards as well (it has modes for those two).
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2014, 07:49:50 PM »

Get Medieval was basically Gauntlet with dry humor, and a sarcastic/smartass announcer. It also included a PGC endless mode, but sadly those levels were less interesting than they should/could have been. But it was always a blast, a good throwback to Gauntlet. That said, it's retardedly hard to find now, and not for digital sale either, last I checked.

Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2014, 01:28:08 AM »

No one seems to remember Nox much. I think it's one of the most underrated games, it's not a masterpiece but it definitely deserves more attention than it got.

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2014, 01:38:45 AM »

hey! another westwood game. westwood was pretty much the tits tbh

Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2014, 01:44:24 AM »

I played a thing called "Bug Too" when I was a kid. It was about a bug, an afro dancer dude, and a maggot dog (best character) who go out on an adventure together to make a movie or something. The gameplay was pretty standard 3D platforming, but it blew my mind as a kid and I played it a lot.

I later found out that this game was reviewed very poorly and is widely considered a piece of trash, so that shows how little taste I had back then.

My finished games: Griddy RPG
My current project: SummonerRL
On hold: Griddy Heroes
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2014, 02:00:27 AM »

yeah, bug and bug too were saturn games. i didn't play 'em much but i remember liking them a lot

edit: i looked up a let's play, and i just had an existential crisis when i realized i had been conflating a memory of bug too with the original silent hill. part of what i remembered as silent hill 1 was actually bug too. excuse me while i go and throw up

Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2014, 04:53:32 AM »

Requiem: Avenging Angel, developed by Cyclone Studios and published by the 3DO Company back in the swirling first-person mists of the year nineteen ninety nine had a deck of cards stacked against it. The demo was poor, marketing just as much, a promised map editor never eventuated killing any chances of longevity and it was published by 3DO of all companies. The company with that console that bombed and by this time was elbow deep in Army Men games. The one owned by Trip Hawkins, that company. The cards keep stacking. It's just another one of the games that got lost in the post Half-Life crush and most unfortunately during the year that two of the top three multiplayer first person shooters saw the light of day but mercifully before Counter-Strike which stretched its arm and cleared the desk, small mercy as it was.

I'd be pressed to consider Cyclone significant, the Uprising series which is another one for this thread was the only thing of note that they had done and that wasn't a patch on Battlezone which was a very, very good game that provided many with cherished a memory. Still, it's better than Wargasm but then again what wasn't. So Requiem by default takes second place.

It's no forgotten classic, no game to get misty-eyed over but it's not half bad. I replayed it two years back and it was fun to revisit the setting and I didn't feel any compulsion to stop to play something else until I had it beat which is more than can be said of the majority of games that catch my eye these days. Being an angel who has cast himself down to earth to take care of business the presence of angelic powers adds much needed colour to the system and it's just so cool to boil the blood of the really good looking enemies (there's some good low poly work in here, it was impressive back then and it still looks good now) to see their flesh pulsate until they explode or turn them into pillars of salt and watch them blow away in the breeze or possess the pilots of those really big mechs so you can shred his mates with dual MGs. I found myself drunk on angelic power more than I did with my growing dark side affinity in the similar but different Jedi Knight. But what stands out the most that by some fluke it's ended up being way before its time.

Right after you finish the opening level (which as an aside doesn't leave a good impression structuring the game as a reverse Xen) all of your offensive means are taken away because plot. Then you start noticing how much the setting functions as a proto Half-Life 2, how straight-line the progression is, even more than HL2 unbelievably. The guns that take up a quarter of screen real estate and feel really underwhelming despite the shotgun having three barrels (offset by cool angelic powers but that doesn't excuse boring guns), the drip-feeding of those angelic powers, the NPCs who try to act important but you couldn't really give two shits about in the end, how much you are a passenger of the narrative, the de rigueur double cross. Give it some much needed visual renovations, put it on Unreal Engine as a start and make sure to drain as much colour from the palette as possible then make the protagonist more of a scowling mass of awkward social interaction who's articulation is measured more in ammo types than degrees of personality and you'll end up with something that is so close to a modern console shooter it's almost uncanny. And this came out on the PC fifteen years ago, that's food for thought.
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2014, 07:24:42 AM »

Pacman 2: The new adventures, which plays nothing like pacman, but rather like those children tv shows, where pacman is a huge doofus and you with a slingshot and pointing indication guide pacman to do some chores like bringing milk for pack baby. its all tongue in cheek and pacman has a huge array of moods which affect the outcome of many situations.

DJFloppyFish
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2014, 10:26:54 AM »

Pacman 2: The new adventures, which plays nothing like pacman, but rather like those children tv shows, where pacman is a huge doofus and you with a slingshot and pointing indication guide pacman to do some chores like bringing milk for pack baby. its all tongue in cheek and pacman has a huge array of moods which affect the outcome of many situations.

i played that game so much as a kid. its weirdly depressing, pacman gets kinda brutalized throughout the game
gmicek
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2014, 02:13:15 PM »

Requiem: Avenging Angel, developed by Cyclone Studios and published by the 3DO Company back in the

Agree with this one 100%.  It was hyped a fair amount when it came out, but slipped off the radar very quickly as you said.  The various powers were a lot of fun to play with and gave the game more replayability than most shooters of that era.

Greg Micek
Cliqist.com - Crowdfunded Gaming
Twitter Facebook
Gagz9k
Level 0

Part of LudunPactum

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2014, 04:11:35 PM »

A flash game in Newgrounds about collecting pics of naked ladies. It was SO BAD it actually make me say: oh, normal people can make games, OBVIOUSLY.

I would put the link, but I think it's again the rules, probably.

Dragonmaw
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2014, 06:26:22 PM »

Granada on the Sega Genesis.

Static levels, semi-random placement of enemy forces. Open-world in the sense that you can take each level in whatever path you want, as long as you kill all the enemy spawners. Really fun and underrated.
Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2014, 08:18:23 PM »

Wait what, it's a tank game? o_o For some reason I used to think it was something else. Now gonna check it out.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic