Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 04:20:01 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesGames that you remember but no one else does.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
Print
Author Topic: Games that you remember but no one else does.  (Read 18066 times)
Siilk
Level 0

Techpriest software enginseer

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 28, 2014, 05:20:47 AM »

Also, Omikron: The Nomad Soul (made by Quantic Dream, who later made Heavy Rain and Indigo Prophecy)

Yeah, this one was really weird and really awesome at the same time. They overdid the gameplay variety a bit, but it was a good game nonetherless.

That DOS game with a black background and a guy reminiscent of Mario jumping on platforms, collecting diamonds and eventually a golden trophy cup at the end of each level.

I know I'm not the only one as I actually managed to stumble across someone who was doing a remake/port in Game Maker a few years ago, but I have once again forgotten its name. Does anybody know?

Dangerous Dave?

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 28, 2014, 06:41:12 AM »

YES! Thanks! <3

Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: October 28, 2014, 09:15:28 AM »

Yatetris (Yet Another Tetris). I couldn't find any screenshots so I had to take some with Wine, so don't be surprised that it looks more modern than it is =P (also first menubar entry shows up as pressed because I was holding down Alt, ignore that)

It also comes with a figure editor:

The game is in the public domain, so if anybody wants it, here it is. Note that this is a 16-bit Windows executable though, so you'll probably have trouble running it on modern systems (although if you have Wine then note that Wine can run those programs just fine even on 64-bit OSes).
valrus
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 28, 2014, 02:53:07 PM »

Huh, do they not calculate the rotations automatically, and instead let you specify them yourself?  That would mean you could make one weird, frustrating Tetris variant, where the arrows take blocks through arbitrary non-rotation transitions.  Skewing them, turning them inside out, rotating them through another unseen dimension...

Now I kinda want a Feztris: poly-cube 3d shapes that you rotate in 3d space, but they "stack" as their 2d projections.
Halogen
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: October 28, 2014, 03:07:40 PM »

On addicting games, there was one called Boomshine. Calming and stressful all at once. One minute, you're all "oh, this is fun." and the next you feel like murdering a bunny. Or twelve.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: October 28, 2014, 03:12:56 PM »

Huh, do they not calculate the rotations automatically, and instead let you specify them yourself?  That would mean you could make one weird, frustrating Tetris variant, where the arrows take blocks through arbitrary non-rotation transitions.  Skewing them, turning them inside out, rotating them through another unseen dimension...

i had one of those lcd game things as a kid that contained a bunch of tetris variants and it had a few that were like this.
Siilk
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 28, 2014, 03:20:42 PM »

Now I kinda want a Feztris: poly-cube 3d shapes that you rotate in 3d space, but they "stack" as their 2d projections.

lol yeah, thought about that too.

Speaking of tetris games, Blockout

Paul Jeffries
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: October 28, 2014, 03:58:05 PM »

- you controlled a squad of cyborgs stomping around and shooting things.  It was probably terrible - I think I played it a bit before I'd acquired the ability to tell.

www.vitruality.com | SPARTAN - Small Pixel Art Animator and procedural tile generator
Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: October 28, 2014, 04:18:04 PM »

Huh, do they not calculate the rotations automatically, and instead let you specify them yourself?  That would mean you could make one weird, frustrating Tetris variant, where the arrows take blocks through arbitrary non-rotation transitions.  Skewing them, turning them inside out, rotating them through another unseen dimension...

Yep, this is actually pretty common, when you have just four rotations it's easier (lazier) for the programmer to just precalculate them all than to actually rotate them. Of course there are several tetris games that take advantage of this make non-standard rotations (or outright make pieces that change shape arbitrarily, which makes for a nice mindscrew).
valrus
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 28, 2014, 06:54:31 PM »

Speaking of tetris games, Blockout

I hadn't thought of all those early Tetrislikes in years.  I liked Wordtris when I was a kid.

But I put forward here the very-awkwardly titled Faces ...tris III

starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: October 28, 2014, 09:19:42 PM »

Revenant

I remembered this game to be WAY prettier :c

I remember that even at the time, the font choice was fucking awful.

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
Endurion
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: October 29, 2014, 02:29:40 AM »

diamonds, a 1992 action puzzler. really fucking good shit. unlike most brickybreaks, you play as the ball itself and control right to left movement with arrow keys.

Which itself seems to be a clone of Crillion of 1988 (http://www.gamebase64.com/game.php?id=1796&d=18&h=0)
Siilk
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 29, 2014, 07:50:05 AM »

diamonds, a 1992 action puzzler. really fucking good shit. unlike most brickybreaks, you play as the ball itself and control right to left movement with arrow keys.

Which itself seems to be a clone of Crillion of 1988 (http://www.gamebase64.com/game.php?id=1796&d=18&h=0)

All that playing as a ball thing reminds me of Bumpy.

This puzzle platformer was teeth-grindingly hard at times... Here's a bit of it's

akoluthic
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: October 29, 2014, 11:08:12 AM »

Lord of the Rings Vol. 1.  The intro!!!  Kiss

Twitter | Soundtrack and trailer composer - worked on:CRAWL, Soviet Jump Game (Game Grumps), PULSAR: Lost Colony, and others. Currently solo developing Chrysalis
Friez
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 29, 2014, 11:11:24 AM »

Gribbly's Day Out!

Was probably -the- first game I actually ever played. A sort of floaty platformy game where you have to avoid hitting an electrified grid and baddies rounding up little gribletts :D

Twitter @friezdj
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: October 29, 2014, 01:11:04 PM »

oh wow! it definitely seems similar, but crillion also incorporates, weirdly, a lot of block-moving mechanics that make it feel like a weird variation on both diamonds (which, admittedly, came after) and chip's challenge.

it also lacks the aforementioned incredible cheesy house tune

since diamonds is now freeware/abandonware i wonder how hard it would be to set up a revival/remake of it

Liens
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: October 30, 2014, 04:27:18 AM »

Played the demo when I was around 11 or so, couldn't remember what it was called until about 3 months ago.  Found it, played it, loved it.

baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: November 01, 2014, 08:48:29 PM »

The Adventures of Micro Man:

« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 10:11:53 PM by baconman » Logged

Endurion
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: November 01, 2014, 10:22:19 PM »

Quote from: rj™

since diamonds is now freeware/abandonware i wonder how hard it would be to set up a revival/remake of it

I've made HitBlock Deluxe, it is based more around Crillion than Diamond though: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=37689.0

To get back on topic, 20th Century Frog. A really crazy fun game (DOS):

I've never seen an english version of it however.
jiitype
« Reply #119 on: November 02, 2014, 02:14:16 AM »

HOLY SHIT I played the demo many times as a kid but didn't remember the name! Thx!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic