Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411412 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 15, 2024, 11:11:21 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesGames that you remember but no one else does.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
Print
Author Topic: Games that you remember but no one else does.  (Read 18262 times)
starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2014, 09:24:36 PM »

Super fun with three players.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 10:44:26 PM by starsrift » Logged

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
bitserum
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2014, 11:43:09 PM »

No one seems to remember Nox much. I think it's one of the most underrated games, it's not a masterpiece but it definitely deserves more attention than it got.

Poor Nox ended up serving as just a thing people occupied themselves while they were waiting for Diablo 2 to finally come out. It was a pretty cool/tough game though, and I agree, highly underrated.

@baconman, man Get Medieval brings back memories.

Instead of Duke Nukem 3D, Doom or Quake, I rememeber Heretic and Hexen fondly.

Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2014, 02:45:22 AM »

This is probably pushing it. Street Fighter II ibm was a totally unauthorised port of SF II released for DOS sometime near the start of the nineties. It was entirely in Korean but you could work enough out to start a game, all of graphics were taken from the Super Nintendo port, taken as in a video capture card was used (you couldn't exactly load up an emulator and dump all the sprites because that hadn't been invented yet) so it was grainy and off-colour. Win quotes were "hilariously" voiced which was kinda funny in actuality, some version had characters replaced with Fatal Fury characters (which was the one that I played) even beating M.U.G.E.N. to the punch and did I mention that it was SF II for DOS? That was even better than the official port. In my Street Fighter obsessed youth this was the bee's knees, sure it was keyboard only but the machine at the video store was always taken and the Mega Drive port wasn't out yet so I couldn't exactly enjoy it at home. Having a friend who owned a PC and who was keyed up was an asset, I got turned on to an unhealthy amount of games in those days but this is the best memory that I took away and that's even after the endless DooM deathmatches that stole entire afternoons.
Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2014, 03:54:11 AM »

Technically you could still dump sprites straight from the ROM (they were probably uncompressed too), but who knows if they had a way to do that for starters (you needed a copier, first of all, and those didn't like large ROMs either).

If we talk about ripped games: Street Fighter III on the NES, which is basically Street Fighter II =P It's notorious for being a... rather competent port actually. Shame music was not ported and Chun Li's background was changed (though the new one is rather nice too), but it's still quite playable:

(that video makes it look like it flickers more than it actually does...)

(OK, three characters are missing too, but I guess they ran out of memory, and E.Honda and Zangief would have been hell to do within the NES sprite limits)
jiitype
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2014, 05:20:04 AM »

Wow those sprites look good for NES
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2014, 06:53:05 AM »

Mr Gimmick

no, you don't remember it, you saw it in a youtube video like two years ago

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
oodavid
Level 8

Discombobulate!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2014, 08:16:09 AM »

Asterax

OR Maelstrom.. Man that was good

Button up! - Out on Android and iOS

latest release: 13th March 2015
Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2014, 08:26:05 AM »

Wow those sprites look good for NES

Each character is using two palettes (so six colors), and in some places they use two sprites overlapping to work around restrictions (the obvious downside is that this requires smaller graphics, since only 8 can be shown in a given line and each sprite is only 8 pixels wide). Still, that's some pretty good job they did there.

Also another game: Reactor

Wow, this time it took way more than before to find a decent video of it... I wonder where the one I had seen before went.
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2014, 02:15:13 PM »

This is probably pushing it. Street Fighter II ibm was a totally unauthorised port of SF II released for DOS sometime near the start of the nineties. It was entirely in Korean but you could work enough out to start a game, all of graphics were taken from the Super Nintendo port, taken as in a video capture card was used (you couldn't exactly load up an emulator and dump all the sprites because that hadn't been invented yet) so it was grainy and off-colour. Win quotes were "hilariously" voiced which was kinda funny in actuality, some version had characters replaced with Fatal Fury characters (which was the one that I played) even beating M.U.G.E.N. to the punch and did I mention that it was SF II for DOS? That was even better than the official port. In my Street Fighter obsessed youth this was the bee's knees, sure it was keyboard only but the machine at the video store was always taken and the Mega Drive port wasn't out yet so I couldn't exactly enjoy it at home. Having a friend who owned a PC and who was keyed up was an asset, I got turned on to an unhealthy amount of games in those days but this is the best memory that I took away and that's even after the endless DooM deathmatches that stole entire afternoons.

I was one of the character scripters for that SF2/FF2 title. It eventually broaded out to "Street Fighter Remake," a spinoff engine with more character space and some simple Alpha/Marvel mechanics added in like air-blocking. It still played about 20 FPS, was choppy as shit, and only had .MID support; but that's where I got my start in developing!!

:D I FEELS ACCOMPLISHED DAT SOMEONE HERE KNOWS OF IT!

You ever use the EX movesets in it?

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2014, 02:35:30 PM »

Recoil.  It was the first competitive shooter I played.  It was one of the games that was available for LAN play at a computer camp I went to (along with Worms and one of the Mech Warrior games).  You played as a futuristic tank and could find powerups in the level for abilities like chain lighting and nuclear missiles.  I remember the level design being really great, with large, complex maps that meant you really had to search for the powerups.  The tanks were fun to drive around, and you could get some air if you went full-speed off a hill.

bitserum
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2014, 03:29:58 PM »

Also this:
Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2014, 05:19:22 PM »

:D I FEELS ACCOMPLISHED DAT SOMEONE HERE KNOWS OF IT!
I'm genuinely surprised that someone here has a link to it.

You ever use the EX movesets in it?
When did those make their way in they weren't present in the version I played.
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2014, 09:38:03 PM »

Might've been early SFR, but I think it's as easy as holding start as you choose them. P1 and P2 had seperate scripts in the original (even SF2, hence the P2-only glitches), which later turned into that potential. I wanna say '96-'97 was when they were implemented, because they mostly reflected Street Fighter Alpha and KoF '96.

Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2014, 09:53:39 PM »

That would've been after I played it. It was only SF2ibm that I played, back in ninety two maybe early ninety three so I wasn't exposed to SFR.
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2014, 03:54:25 AM »

No one seems to remember Nox much. I think it's one of the most underrated games, it's not a masterpiece but it definitely deserves more attention than it got.

Loved Nox. I havent thought about that game in a long time too Smiley

Here's a few

The Horde

Arcanum (maybe ??)

Blake Stone

Midnight Resistance

There's about 2 games in my head now I want to list but I have no idea what their name is.

Jondog
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2014, 05:01:01 AM »

Urban Assault, it's a weird hybrid of an RTS game where you make building and create units to fight and a vehicular war game because you can control any of the units you create.

I really liked that there was so many different vehicles. But it was too complex for me at the time, all the different vehicles meant there was lots of control schemes and I had no idea how to manage the units properly.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/urban-assault/screenshots/gameShotId,39797/
http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/urban-assault/screenshots/gameShotId,111370/

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2014, 08:33:56 AM »

futuristic racing game for N64. The game is, surprisingly, not as much of an F-Zero clone as you would think, though it's pretty obvious where the devs got their ideas from.

Rather than being hovercars that always stay close to the ground, the vehicles in Aero Gauge actually fly, meaning there's some amount of 3d freedom of movement. It's not exactly Descent: The Racing Game, but hey, it's something. The fact that you have another axis of movement to worry about (which the track designs take ample advantage of) + the high speed (this is way faster than F-Zero X) + the appropriately floaty controls + an enemy AI that I'm 99% sure is cheating make it pretty challenging too.

The vehicle designs, which look like weird, bulky, gaudy versions of real cars (and a flying N64 controller as a secret unlockable), are actually kind of neat in their own way and the music is top notch.

I later found out that this game apparently got bad reviews for lack of content, but fuck that, I still played the shit out of it at age 10.
Dragonmaw
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2014, 09:42:59 AM »

Urban Assault, it's a weird hybrid of an RTS game where you make building and create units to fight and a vehicular war game because you can control any of the units you create.

I really liked that there was so many different vehicles. But it was too complex for me at the time, all the different vehicles meant there was lots of control schemes and I had no idea how to manage the units properly.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/urban-assault/screenshots/gameShotId,39797/
http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/urban-assault/screenshots/gameShotId,111370/

I played a FUCKLOAD of urban assault. surprisingly great game.
Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2014, 10:52:32 AM »

Midnight Resistance

Eh, Midnight Resistance is actually quite well known... although the Mega Drive version, not the arcade version,

(seriously, the Mega Drive's music trumps the arcade's music pretty hard).
Jondog
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2014, 08:42:10 PM »

I played a FUCKLOAD of urban assault. surprisingly great game.

woah another person that's actually played it.
I originally only had the a demo disk with a bunch of microsoft published games on it and Urban Assault was one of those games.
So I played that a bit but got stuck on the third or fourth mission.
At some point I got some old game pad that used a serial port so I could use that for tanks which was pretty cool.

Much later on I actually found a copy in a Gametraders store so I picked it up and played it a bit, but dropped it because I cared too much about graphics at the time. I should probably go back and give it another go.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic