Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 05:06:24 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesGames that you remember but no one else does.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8
Print
Author Topic: Games that you remember but no one else does.  (Read 18068 times)
Canned Turkey
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2014, 08:50:34 PM »

I used to play this EVERY DAY back in kinder-garden.
I lived in a small town with 80-90 people, and I was the only child in that class that knew how to use a computer.

Achievement unlocked: Ultra obscure
Ammypendent
Level 0

Indiedev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2014, 11:14:38 PM »

Dug through my stuff and apparently I still have Lighthouse: the dark being CD. It was one of those pre-rendered 3d First person adventure games (like MYST).

But one game I remember playing the heck out of and actually beating was SNES Hyperzone. It was a 3rd person forward moving shmup (similar to starfox). I know of no other people in my life who has owned or played it.

Twitter
battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2014, 07:34:43 AM »

But one game I remember playing the heck out of and actually beating was SNES Hyperzone. It was a 3rd person forward moving shmup (similar to starfox). I know of no other people in my life who has owned or played it.
I bought it a few years ago because Jun Ishikawa did the soundtrack. It's a weird little game! Sort of a Mode 7 graphics tech demo, haha. It's like F-Zero + Axelay.
GalaethGames
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2014, 10:19:46 AM »

Android 2 on the Commodore 64,

hard to find photos of it on Google

It was really tough and used to look so much scarier!

Kyle Preston
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2014, 06:47:58 PM »

Maybe I'm getting old and spending too much time with younger gamers, but 95% of the time that I ever bring up Gauntlet, for NES, I get these Huh?

Love this game; still haven't beaten it but I refuse to do it on an emulator.

Interface
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2014, 07:28:45 PM »

Wacky Wheels on PC, a Mario Kart clone http://www.3drealms.com/wacky/.
And Terminal Velocity / Fury3 http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/fury/screenshots. This was a boring and easy game in a way, but some good mindless distraction and for some inexplicable reason I played it a lot.
Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: October 06, 2014, 11:20:27 PM »

And Terminal Velocity / Fury3 http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/fury/screenshots. This was a boring and easy game in a way, but some good mindless distraction and for some inexplicable reason I played it a lot.

Oh god thank you! I remember playing this game on my father's PC, I was too young to understand what was going on and how to play it (I think I was 7-8 years old tops), but I still loved it. Totally forgot about it!

knifeySpoonie
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2014, 04:19:12 AM »

There was a demo on a PC disk, about building a little village and then raiding and attacking your neighbours, it was set in the highlands and you would raid and defend and build... the demo seemed awesome but I think it got canned... I wanted it so bad when i was a kid, I would look through PC gamer every month for more info on it... never to be seen again 'sigh'

Founder and Creative Director |  KnifeySpoonie Games  |  Tpickarddev.com | @TPickardDev
pelle
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2014, 09:12:48 AM »

The Ancient Art of War (PC CGA version ~1984).

OK, I know a few others remember it, and it even had two sequels (last one around 1994 or so?). It has been mentioned in articles about old RTS games, although it predates Dune 2 of course and it doesn't play at all like any game of the "RTS genre" it just happens to be a strategy game that is also real-time, and it is a fantastic game. It is a rather casual, light wargame, with very nice graphics (best CGA 4-color graphics in any game ever probably?) and also, unusually, some hints of realism (eg the supply system and terrain effects).

Images from the fantastic unofficial AAoW fan-site that has been live for about as long as www has been. The guy that has it is the only other living fan of the game I know of. He used to have a forum but we were never more than 3 active readers. The most amazing thing there were when the son of one of the original designers stopped by to make a few posts, including mentioning that there had been plans for a GBA port. Very sad there was never a port to GBA or some other mainstream console because I can not see how this game would not then be a very well-known and widely copied game still today.

Oh, after the forum died (and all content was deleted Sad ) he started a google group or yahoo list or something. Last time I checked the only two members were him and me. So sad. It really seems forgotten. Making a modern game inspired by it is always close to the top of my TODO-list.

http://ancient-art-of-war.0fees.net/the-ancient-art-of-war.htm
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2014, 12:20:17 PM »

Pacman 2: The new adventures, which plays nothing like pacman, but rather like those children tv shows, where pacman is a huge doofus and you with a slingshot and pointing indication guide pacman to do some chores like bringing milk for pack baby. its all tongue in cheek and pacman has a huge array of moods which affect the outcome of many situations.

i played that game so much as a kid. its weirdly depressing, pacman gets kinda brutalized throughout the game

Ah yes, the hundreds of ways pac-man can die, and some of them required to progress through the game (like having the rock at the glider cause pacman to fall off a cliff, so that the rock in turn hits the larger rock so it unlocks another exit).

Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: October 07, 2014, 12:39:05 PM »

Pretty sure you don't need to kill Pac-Man in that part...
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: October 07, 2014, 02:05:13 PM »

I dont recally if you can set it to persuade pacman to kick it, but could have swron there was no other way. Not that I would do it any other way

Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: October 07, 2014, 02:37:19 PM »

No, I think you had to make him kick a machine that would then move the rock blocking the exit... but yeah getting him to actually make it work is extremely hard (he will keep messing with the machine but in the wrong way).
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: October 07, 2014, 02:55:43 PM »

thats for the cart ride, not the hang glider rock

Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: October 08, 2014, 02:16:15 AM »

Well, I never had to kill Pac-Man in the glider and the section after the glider is that, so o.O; (although if you want to get Pac-Man out of the way before the glider there's a vine in a tree, just so you know)
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: October 08, 2014, 01:02:44 PM »

Well, I never had to kill Pac-Man in the glider and the section after the glider is that, so o.O; (although if you want to get Pac-Man out of the way before the glider there's a vine in a tree, just so you know)

Yeah, I just searched through a FAQ, and found it was to unlock a secret area:

Secret Runway
First, go through the Ropeway. Then, when you see the DANGER sign, make Pac-Man mad and he will walk past it. Now, shoot the coiled rope hanging from the ceiling. Pac-Man will climb it. When you reach the top, have Pac-Man look at the sign. After you're through, shoot the small rock once. Then have Pac-Man walk up to it. If he's happy (he should be) he will kick the rock and it will fall and hit the big rock situated on the platform. Now climb down the rope and walk right. You will walk past a small natural fountain and you will see that the rock has smashed a pile of logs that were there earlier. An arrow is pointing behind the wall. Have Pac-Man look up, and he will follow the arrow. You will then find yourself at a secret runway.

Siilk
Level 0

Techpriest software enginseer

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 12, 2014, 06:11:20 PM »

Arcanum (maybe ??)

Heh, that's a rare one to be mentioned, not a lot of people remember it these days. It's a real gem, but sadly an unpolished one. Had a ton of rather nasty bugs on release, subsequent patches made fixed some of 'em but sadly not everything. But the story was rather captivating and man, the world was fantastically unique. Art style and soundtrack were rather neat too.

There's about 2 games in my head now I want to list but I have no idea what their name is.
Try describing them, there's a good chance some of us will recognise them. Wink
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: October 12, 2014, 06:26:34 PM »

I dunno, while Arcanum wasnt as popular as bioware or black isle games, it has been mentioned in every community i have been part of.

Siege of Avalon, Legacy of Qin and Throne of Darkness however...

Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 13, 2014, 06:08:01 PM »

Carnage Heart was one of those "different" games that occasionally snuck their way out of Japan during the life of the Playstation. Usually when you get a game that is "different" the concept ended up being better than the execution but this time we lucked out. I'd like to say that this was a game that I cherished, I really would but at the time I just couldn't come to grips with it probably because it was a rental and it didn't have the manual which is pretty much required to get a foothold. However it was one of a handful of games that was key to my transition from the SEGA Saturn to the Playstation ( if you're curious the other ones were Armored Core, Bushido Blade, Tobal and Tenchu. Then a scant few months later Metal Gear Solid. 1997-1998 was an ace time to be playing games in).

It's a game where you program robots and send them out to fight and to die and like good soldiers they followed orders without question. Not being able to directly control the robots probably killed it for a lot of people and I can't imagine that something this niche was marketed heavily so I which really was like sending it out to fight and die. It was the nineties after all, for all the hipness that Sony was trying to inject into their console who the hell was going to buy some nerd game about programming when you've got Tekken, Gran Turismo and FIFA to play. One night I stumbled upon a good mech design admittedly by accident that got me through a bit of the campaign, I was thrilled to bits but that was sixteen years and memory card or two ago so it's been ravaged by time. I'd probably be better at it now but I'm unwilling to resort to emulation to find out so in the memory banks it will stay.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 13, 2014, 09:36:50 PM »

I dunno, while Arcanum wasnt as popular as bioware or black isle games, it has been mentioned in every community i have been part of.

Siege of Avalon, Legacy of Qin and Throne of Darkness however...

ya arcanum is a cult classic
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic