Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 10:49:27 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesGames that you remember but no one else does.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
Print
Author Topic: Games that you remember but no one else does.  (Read 18296 times)
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: October 17, 2014, 07:45:36 AM »

P.N. 03, anyone?

dude i'd never forget the capcom five, even if this is the worst of the bunch. really funky weird jam. i feel like if the music was better (it was...pretty generic and nondescript) this game would have made much more of a splash. i'd love to see some of its ideas revisited in a newer game.

valrus
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 18, 2014, 10:05:10 PM »

On the subject of weird '90s French games, let's not forget Inca:

dude i'd never forget the capcom five, even if this is the worst of the bunch. really funky weird jam. i feel like if the music was better (it was...pretty generic and nondescript) this game would have made much more of a splash. i'd love to see some of its ideas revisited in a newer game.

P.N.03 was a game I really wanted to like, but I couldn't get into it.  Likewise Little Big Adventure.

mpolney
« Reply #82 on: October 23, 2014, 08:04:55 PM »

I played tonnes of obscure (and in many cases awful) DOS games as a teenager.

Excelsior:

Threat:

CD-MAN:

HURL:

Cyberia:

Also some weird Mac stuff.

Before Myst, Cyan made Spelunx:

Gold Pusher:

Glider PRO:

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: October 23, 2014, 08:28:20 PM »

Oh man, cd man was like the best pac man clone of the era. There was a version iirc with a player character sprite more remniscient of pacamn *hunts for it*

mpolney
« Reply #84 on: October 23, 2014, 08:37:40 PM »

Oops. I posted the wrong version. The version I played on my 286 had a pacman-like sprite, not the thing picture above.
Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: October 24, 2014, 02:07:41 PM »

Is Excelsior using text mode for its graphics? o_o The only other game I know that does it is Tetris Deluxe. (I know the top row of that screenshot seems to suggest otherwise, but also it seems to be missing 11 pixels, so probably it was cropped incorrectly and the top and bottom rows are truncated)
mpolney
« Reply #86 on: October 24, 2014, 08:24:28 PM »

I'm pretty sure it does use a text mode with custom glyphs.
Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: October 25, 2014, 03:43:57 AM »

Well, since I mentioned Tetris Deluxe I may as well post a screenshot:

The weird coloring on the Tetris logo is just me screenshoting in a bad frame >_> It's an animation where the colors keep sliding. And yeah, the game does a clever job at hiding that it's running in text mode (it was made in text mode because it was designed on a 4.77MHz 8088 and the guy needed a way to get it full framerate =P), though the readme program is even more impressive in that sense (it has smooth scrolling and split screen, again all of that in text mode).
oodavid
Level 8

Discombobulate!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: October 27, 2014, 01:46:44 AM »

I'm sure it's well remembered, but this thread jogged my memory... Speedball 2 - Brutal Deluxe

@mpolney - I loved the glider series so much!

Button up! - Out on Android and iOS

latest release: 13th March 2015
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: October 27, 2014, 02:12:57 AM »

diamonds, a 1992 action puzzler. really fucking good shit. unlike most brickybreaks, you play as the ball itself and control right to left movement with arrow keys.

cheesy house soundtrack.

listen to music and see it in action here:

it's now freeware since it was a licensing failure, so yeah. here's one windows copy, at least

i love this game. apparently there were two sequels. at least one is a shitty first person breakout thing (?!).

Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: October 27, 2014, 09:57:03 AM »

So that's what Bonkers from Action 52 (Mega Drive) is based on o_o
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: October 27, 2014, 10:48:31 AM »

it is indeed a poor weird clone of diamonds, yes

Siilk
Level 0

Techpriest software enginseer

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 27, 2014, 04:02:45 PM »

I'm sure it's well remembered, but this thread jogged my memory... Speedball 2 - Brutal Deluxe

Heh, a Bit map brothers' game! They all had this distinctive art style that let you recognise them in an instant. Which reminds me...

Gods

Chaos Engine aka Soldiers of Fortune

And now, for something completely different: Slap flight aka Alcon

Dragonmaw
« Reply #93 on: October 27, 2014, 04:10:50 PM »

Metal Marines

A very interesting RTS that sits solidly in the tower defense spectrum, and is probably one of the first TD games ever. You build up your base, adding income buildings and defenses and mechbays and missile launchers. Once you are ready to attack, you can tell your marines to go land on a specific spot at the enemy base, or tell your launchers to shoot missiles at a specific spot, or both. Once you give the order though, that's it.

Very great game, very underappreciated. I can't find the version I played anymore, unfortunately (Windows 95, the best version).
Siilk
Level 0

Techpriest software enginseer

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 27, 2014, 09:43:40 PM »

Metal Marines

Yea, I remember this one even though I never played it all that much. The idea behind it was nice but I guess it felt a bit repetitive.
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 27, 2014, 10:00:10 PM »

That DOS game with a black background and a guy reminiscent of Mario jumping on platforms, collecting diamonds and eventually a golden trophy cup at the end of each level.

I know I'm not the only one as I actually managed to stumble across someone who was doing a remake/port in Game Maker a few years ago, but I have once again forgotten its name. Does anybody know?

Carl Maxwell
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 28, 2014, 12:12:13 AM »

Titanic: Adventure out of Time

By Cyberflix, the people who made Dust. I really liked the intro to it (and that image links to a youtube letsplay of the intro.) The gameplay wasn't as exciting to me, though it was really cool being able to explore the ship. Return of the Obra Dinn actually reminded me of it, 'cause they both have pocketwatch-centered time travel-ish stuff.

Itinerant Story - Devlog | Website | Twitter
Türbo Bröther
Fidget Crooner
Pixelhead
Level 10

Rockin' it inside out

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 28, 2014, 04:16:24 AM »

That DOS game with a black background and a guy reminiscent of Mario jumping on platforms, collecting diamonds and eventually a golden trophy cup at the end of each level.

I know I'm not the only one as I actually managed to stumble across someone who was doing a remake/port in Game Maker a few years ago, but I have once again forgotten its name. Does anybody know?
Probably Aldo's Adventure even if the background is grey not black.
nox
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: October 28, 2014, 04:30:04 AM »

Revenant

Also, Omikron: The Nomad Soul (made by Quantic Dream, who later made Heavy Rain and Indigo Prophecy)

Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: October 28, 2014, 04:42:50 AM »

Revenant

I remembered this game to be WAY prettier :c

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic