Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 05:57:03 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsElevator action clone
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Elevator action clone  (Read 2620 times)
xrm0
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: September 29, 2014, 05:22:27 PM »

Goal:
A 3D game heavily inspired in Elevator Action.

Why
I've been using Unity for some months now but never did a 3D game. So, I'll use this project as learning experience. Also, I'll be using Blender for the first time to make the 3D models.

How
I'll split the development into iterations. In each one I'll work on the tasks listed below. I don't know how many iterations there will be.

Iteration 1: Build a raw playable level.
0% of iteration 2: fix bugs, refactor code, make something to build a level faster and some polish
Iteration 3: 3D models of the player/enemies. I've never done this before, I'll do something quick and refine it later.
Iteration 4: Huh?

Videos
There's a playlist in youtube where I'm uploading very short videos showing each improvement:

Latest video: Player dying

Tasks:
  • player model
  • enemy model
  • stairs
  • enemy ai
  • expand sample floors to a complete building (one level)
  • crouch
  • jump
  • doors to steal the documents
  • player dies
  • lamps
  • winning condition
  • loosing condition
  • hud
  • title screen
  • winning screen
  • gameover screen
  • fx
  • extras ??

Updates:
2014-10-24: edited this post to reflect the game current status
2014-10-19  title screen, enemy ai: use stairs, fx, enemy ai: attacking
2014-10-16: jump, cannot move while crouching, can change direction while crouching, bullets cannot collide with a dead enemy, hud (docs left and hp)
2014-10-11: elevator respects the limits of the elevator shaft, ai improvement on how to use the elevator, cleaned up the floor and each segment is now better aligned, sample level
2014-10-07: same basic enemy ai
2014-10-05: crouching
2014-10-04: lamps on each floor roof, winning condition, winning screen, blood spatter when an enemy is hit
2014-10-03: player dies, enemy shoots (always, every 0.5 seconds!), game over screen, loosing condition
2014-10-02: updated post with goal, task list and status.
2014-10-01: stairs.
2014-09-30: static enemies, enemy dies when hit by bullet, support for doors, enemy appears from doors every X seconds.
2014-09-29: a floor, a character that moves and shoots and a very basic functional elevator.

After each iteration is finished, I'll delete my update replies to remove the clutter on this thread.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 01:50:40 PM by xrm0 » Logged
Low_Chance
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 05:04:18 AM »

Awesome, I love me some elevator action! Looking forward to seeing where this goes!
xrm0
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 11:55:40 AM »

Thanks Low_Chance!

Today's update is mainly about enemies:
  • Added static enemies
  • Enemy dies when hit by bullet
  • Added support for doors
  • Enemy appears from doors every X seconds

Videos:

Enemies popping out of doors:

Shooting some enemies:

Neeko
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 03:37:53 PM »

Very cool! Elevator Action is one of my favorite classics. I did somewhat of a clone myself for one of the past Ludum Dares.

I'll bee keeping an eye on your progress, best of luck!

Currently developing Demons with Shotguns, a 2D competitive platformer arena game.
MindShaft Games
xrm0
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 02:24:58 PM »

@Neeko, great! Is your clone online?

Today's update is: Stairs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fR9HqtHCh3Y&feature=youtu.be
AtomicAlert
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2014, 04:26:39 PM »

I like the sound of this.
One question though..
..To me, Elevator Action is all about the controls. For example, the first Castlevania game can definitely be described as stiff and rigid - but Elevator Action is full-on clunky. The game became more about planning and strategy than fast-paced arcade action.

Will you keep true to that tradition to atleast some degree? I like the original Quake as much as the next guy, but the slower, slightly more tactical feel of Quake 2 will always be my favorite.
xrm0
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2014, 07:45:31 AM »

I don't really know what this will turn into. I certainly don't want to create and exact copy of Elevator action, but a new game based on it. After having a playable level and playing a bit with it I'll see which path to take.
xrm0
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2014, 09:38:17 AM »

Update: Some basic enemy ai, they appear on random doors, wander around the floor and enter doors to disappear. They know whether the elevator is on the same floor or not, so they can avoid falling throught the elevator shaft.

Video:

xrm0
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2014, 01:42:39 PM »

Update:
  - title screen
  - enemy ai
  - use stairs
  - fx
  - enemy ai: attacking

Video: Player dying

Voltz.Supreme
Level 3

Iron Synth Chef & Voltage Architect

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2014, 02:41:36 PM »

Looks like it could be fun! You seem to be making decent progress.
There's a few remakes around but I've never played them. I imagine you've checked out a few?

Let me know if you need any tunes in the future. I could have a lot of fun with this!
I whipped together an elevator track for a little comp on these forums just the other day...
I imagine you'd be after something a lot more action/spy and less tropical oriented but here it is anyway.
https://leoj.bandcamp.com/track/take-me-to-the-island-in-the-clouds-elevator-music-2014

All the best!

xrm0
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2014, 06:18:28 AM »

Thanks Leo.

I haven't seen any of the remakes. As a matter of fact, I've only seen the original until yesterday when I saw some gameplay video of Elevator Action Returns.
My idea is to make something heavily inspired by Elevator Action but not an exact copy.

I like "Take Me To The Island In The Clouds" (and Salvajes OST is great!). I might contact you later.
Voltz.Supreme
Level 3

Iron Synth Chef & Voltage Architect

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2014, 01:44:51 PM »

Thanks! And I'd be happy to throw ideas your way to help you make it a bit more unique when you get a bit further along.

xrm0
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2014, 01:52:34 PM »

Update: Nothing changed in the game, but I've edited the original post showing the game current status and the new iterations' goals.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic