Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 06:35:39 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallRetro-Pixel Castles > NOW ON STEAM! :D! <
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Retro-Pixel Castles > NOW ON STEAM! :D! <  (Read 1669 times)
Rayvolution
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: September 29, 2014, 08:09:32 PM »

Retro-Pixel Castles is at heart a village simulator. But, where most village simulators focus mostly on balancing your village, RPC also throws in a heavy blend of raw survival and tactical gameplay. If you could imagine a roguelike village sim, that's what this game is all about! In RPC you will lose. Endless survival is impossible, the goal is to see how long you will survive. RPC takes it's inspiration from other village management games like Dwarf Fortress and Banished and mixes them together with elements of survival games like Don't Starve with a sprinkling of some RTS elements seen in games like Command and Conquer there are even some classic Tower Defense concepts to help you bottleneck and handle the onslaught of monsters trying to kill off your poor little villagers.

You can't win!
Yeah, that's right. Not being able to win is a feature! The problem with nearly all village sims is you tend to reach an inevitable point where you can't lose the game. You just become so skilled at knowing exactly what to do, and in exactly what order, the game loses all of it's appeal and you run off to play something else. That's not the case with Retro-Pixel Castles! RPC aims to make a game you can't win. Every game day, the game gets progressively harder with no end in sight. The goal of the game isn't to win, but to survive as long as humanly possible.

Build a village, and die trying!
A major part of the game is village management, and trying to discover new and creative ways to keep yourself alive as long as possible. In RPC, you will plan many days in advance how you're going to build your village and survive the inevitable onslaught of the monsters that will attack you!

Unlock Content Through Gameplay
You will find yourself in a harsh and unforgiving environment, constantly trying to find new ways to keep your little villagers alive for just a few more days. As you play, you'll unlock more content, like additional buildings, items and units you can use in your next attempt to see if you can survive even longer than the last!

Even though you can't beat this game, you most certainly can make progress in it! Every round you play you'll gain experience, unlocks, and other interesting goodies that will expand the game.

A Whole Bunch of Mobs!
Still somewhat under wraps are the monsters of Retro-Pixel Castles, there will be tons and tons of monsters all over the map that will do everything in their power to eat your poor little villagers, and every night more spawn at ever progressively higher difficulties. Good luck surviving!

Massive maps!
Each map is a massive 512x512 tiles in size, and a typical play through you may find yourself only playing in a small area, usually in about 128x128 chunk of space. Each time you play, you start at a different location on the map, and each location has it's own challenges. So each of these massive maps are like having multiple maps all in one!

Tons of map set themes!
Every set of maps will follow a certain theme (Forest, Desert, Underground, etc). Most of the current screenshots only feature ONE of these map sets, the Forest! But many, many more are planned.

FULL-FEATURED Built in Map Editor!
Built right into the game engine itself is a very robust, feature filled map editor. The same one used to make the official content for the game! You'll be able to make maps using the same tools I did and share them with your friends, or even share them over on the Steam Workshop if we can all band-together and get RPC Greenlit!

Orchestration-Retro Hybrid Soundtrack!
A full, original soundtrack, made by Bibiki Garcia that blends orchestral instruments and old 8 and 16 bit retro era music together in a beautiful blend that fits Retro-Pixel Castles perfectly!

DRM-FREE FOREVER
SixtyGig Games is a DRM free independent game developer! Retro-Pixel Castles will not now or ever in the future have any sort of DRM! Piracy protection only hurts you guys, the loyal paying players. So you can rest assured knowing once you buy yourself a copy of Retro-Pixel Castles you'll never again have to concern yourself with nagging questions about if you can continue playing the game down the road due to something like always-online logins, lost registration codes or because you bought a new computer and you're only licensed to put the game on the old one. All I ask from you is to be reasonable and responsible, you can buy the game and play it as much as you like, wherever you like. Just tell your friends to support my DRM-Free philosophy and buy their own copy! Smiley Free Content Patches, no paid-DLC

ALL CONTENT PATCHES/DLC ARE FREE!
I don't believe in paying for Downloaded Content. If you buy Retro-Pixel Castles you will have access to the entire game and all the content I'll ever create for this game! I believe DLC is greedy, and you deserve to have the full gaming experience from day 1, right out of the (figurative) box!

Even if you don't back the Kickstarter, Your feedback is extremely important. You can head on over to RPC's official website, Steam, or you can visit the various forums I maintain a thread on and post your suggestions! I'm always looking for feedback. Just pick your flavor below! Smiley
Pick Your Flavor:
- Official Site -
- Steam Greenlight - (Don't forget to vote!)
- IndieDB -
- Twitter -
- Tumblr -
- Java-Gaming -
- TIGSource Devlog -

How can you help out?!
Many people keep asking me what they can do to help, one cool thing you can do is get other people to back the Kickstarter or vote for us on Greenlight. Although if you want to be extra-extra awesome, post about RPC on your forums, message news sites and ask them to cover RPC or message your favorite youtuber and get him to do a let's play! Be my viral media! Smiley

« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 02:27:07 AM by Rayvolution » Logged

- Raymond "Rayvolution" Doerr.
Retro-Pixel Castles - Survival Sim/Builder/Roguelike!
Rayvolution
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2014, 06:56:08 PM »

Past few days have been a bit crazy, but I'm still developing away as usual. Recently I've been working on adding children to the game, a much larger feat that it lets on. Part of adding the children is also coding the foundational support for animals and monsters in the future. So there's a ton of stuff going on behind the scenes. Smiley

But on to the kids. Your villagers start off without a mate of any kind, if their happiness is high enough they may start partnering up. Once they partner up a whole new branch of AI opens up and they begin visiting each other when they're bored or sad, they also attempt to live in the same house and if they're both in a good mode, they may even go back to their house and get frisky!

Some villagers partnering up.

.. and gettin' frisky!

Once said friskiness happens, there's a slight chance one of the two will get pregnant (Spoiler alert; the female!). Once a villager is pregnant, her production speed across the board slows down, but she can still work and function like a normal villager.

A Pregnant Villager

Eventually, the villager will give birth. Once that happens, out pops a little child. The child will gain one-forth of the combined statistics of both parents. So for example, if both parents are level 10, the child would be a level 5. (10+10) / 4 = 5. Same goes for all the other stats, like STR, DEX and INT. Additionally once the trait system is completed, the children will also inherit a few random traits from either parents and have a chance to spawn an entirely new one on occasion.

Children can't work, all they do is wander around the village bugging people, eventually I will be adding schools, orphanages and other activities they can do to gain XP on their own before they finally grow into adults.

Some kids in this shot (The ones in the lavender clothes)

After a certain amount of time, you guessed it, they grow up! Once they're fully grown they can work and function just like any other villager in town.

I have tons of long term plans for the entire process, currently though it's somewhat simple. I plan to add more elements to the game, like the risk of the mother or child dying during labor, and clinics that can lower the chance of that happening. As mentioned a little before, I'd also like to eventually add buildings child-specific that can help them when they're growing up get a slight head start, like schools they can visit to "learn" (gain XP).

Rayvolution
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 10:51:21 AM »

Retro-Pixel Castles is now funded and greenlit on steam!

That's right! RPC WILL BE RELEASED ON STEAM!

*queue victory music*

Rayvolution
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 05:35:59 PM »

PRICE IS NOW CONFIRMED AT $14.99 ON STEAM!
If you're interested in getting a copy, you can also check out the already-funded kickstarter that still has about two weeks left, there are many tiers that offer a free copy of the game that are much lower than the $14.99 pricepoint Steam has authorized. Smiley

NEW STABLE BUILD RELEASED!
The latest and greatest build has finally been released! This build features a ton of tuneups, bug fixes, runs faster, uses less memory and it much more stable! Woot!

Full Changelog:
- Overall load speed increased by about 25-30% (More on lower end machines)
- Villagers no longer attempt to grab resources that are on a blocked tile.
- Fixed a bug that would cause farmers to stop farming entirely.
- Resources are now pushed out of the way if you attempt to build something on top of them.
- Added Children. They are not allowed to work, but will eventually grow into adult villagers. They inherit stats/experience from their parents when born.
- Hovering over "total population" on the top GUI now shows how many adults and children you have.
- Zooming added, you can now zoom between 1x and 8x zoom with the + and - key on your numpad. (Last build was locked at 3x)
- The interface GUI is now set to 2x scaling (Last build was 3x)
- Minimap colors rebalanced, and the minimap renders faster.
- Shadows generate much faster now.
- Lighting style changed, now more retro-like. Also renders faster.
- Created proper launcher files/executable for Windows, Mac and Linux.
- Patched a crash related to lighting values dropping below 0.
- Fixed a crash related to villagers trying to do mate related AI functions and their mate dies before the action is completed.
- Fixed a crash that would fire when a villager is starving to death and looking for food.
- Farmers now distribute food more evenly.
- Builders now build from first to last, not everything all at once.
- Many other tiny bug fixes and tweaks.

You can fetch the latest copy of the game here.

Screenshots from the new build on a WIP map made by Dragonisser.

Rayvolution
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2014, 02:27:18 AM »

Rayvolution
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2014, 11:20:55 AM »

Just a friendly reminder to fans everywhere, Retro-Pixel Castles is now on sale during the length of the Steam Autumn sale! If you've been eyeballing the game but haven't decided if you want to fetch it, now is the time!

Already own a copy? Go convert-- err tell your friends!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/328080

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic