Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 08:25:19 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralWindows 10 - the best Windows yet
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Author Topic: Windows 10 - the best Windows yet  (Read 5712 times)
JimmyJ
Level 1

Hi!

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 03, 2014, 04:09:10 PM »

It seems way too soon to release a whole new OS right after 8.1. I don't even see what makes this more substantial than a update, and they're going straight from 8 to 10? They really don't want it to seem like a good value.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 03, 2014, 06:05:30 PM »

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/new-product/windows/3496959/windows-10-release-date-price-features-beta-technical-preview-launch-event-free-update/

According to Indonesian news site Detik, the president of Microsoft Indonesia, Andreas Diantoro, has confirmed that Windows 9 - now 10 - will be a free upgrade for all Windows 8 users.

i wonder (read: im too lazy to do research) how much MS actually makes from selling retail copies of windows. i think most ppl just use the OS that comes preinstalled with the computer they bought and don't upgrade. i wonder if they could go the apple route and make all OS upgrades free in the future.
Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: October 03, 2014, 06:32:18 PM »

They still get money from the copies preinstalled by the OEMs. But yeah, they know that the big money is on enterprise stuff (who tend to demand lot more), not consumers...

But yeah I recall that the idea was to make the upgrade free to users of Windows 8 (and possibly 7). Also there were rumors that since this version Windows (or at least upgrading) would be free and they would focus on making money from the store instead. Whether that last part ends up being true, we'll have to wait until it comes out.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 04, 2014, 02:09:31 AM »

They still get money from the copies preinstalled by the OEMs

yeah i meant non-oem versions
Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: October 04, 2014, 03:58:28 AM »

In my opinion the changes look good so I don't really understand the hate. Then again I'm ok with my 8.1 and think I like it more than 7 with exception of metro (which I don't really need to use). I also welcome the multiple workspaces and osx-like expose which are features I have missed on Windows.

In general I find OS-bashing a bit weird since most of the time people who bash osx, windows 8.1 etc. the most have never actually used them  Huh? Though there is of course valid reasons to not like a certain OS. I have my gripes with each of them Tongue

Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: October 04, 2014, 06:10:29 AM »

They still get money from the copies preinstalled by the OEMs

yeah i meant non-oem versions

Well, to be fair most people stick to whatever Windows version is preinstalled in the computer (and when it breaks they outright buy a new computer), so the amount of non-business people who'd get Windows separately is tiny (and of those, the vast majority are going to be using pirate copies anyway), so yeah, no real loss there.

I imagine the only reason to keep charging people for new copies is to be able to justify keeping charging the OEMs.

In general I find OS-bashing a bit weird since most of the time people who bash osx, windows 8.1 etc. the most have never actually used them  Huh? Though there is of course valid reasons to not like a certain OS. I have my gripes with each of them Tongue

Eh, to be fair the only complaints I have so far are the name (couldn't they just have gone with something else, seriously?) and that from what I've heard the workspace feature is kind of broken (as in they seemed to have failed to implement properly even the basics - just hiding the windows is not the same as completely getting them out of the way, and yes it has some implications regarding what events can affect them).
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: October 04, 2014, 06:19:36 AM »

i work win with 2012 server and i really get annoyed with the mnetro features there

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: October 04, 2014, 06:38:42 AM »

i work win with 2012 server and i really get annoyed with the mnetro features there

You'd think they would keep the no-nonsense classic theme for the server versions at least.

Xbone tanking, Bing still irrelevant, phones and tablets DOA .. Microsoft is derping on all cylinders at the moment.
Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: October 04, 2014, 06:43:36 AM »

Xbone tanking, Bing still irrelevant, phones and tablets DOA .. Microsoft is derping on all cylinders at the moment.

They have so much momentum in the Widows brand that they could probably go on for over 10 years making only products that nobody likes before people finally switch to something else.

And I guess most people will rather enjoy Windows 10.

Ammypendent
Level 0

Indiedev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: October 05, 2014, 11:33:02 PM »

One of the best reactions I've heard.

Microsoft power leveled Windows from 8 directly to 10 because there was so much XP

But from the quick preview I've seen, it looks ok, until I saw that 8 infected the start menu. The last thing I want to see is random scrolling ads every time I try launching a program from there. And apparently the "search" function in start menu also pulls results from internet! WTF Get ready for your grandparents accidentally installing loads of scammy stuff.

Twitter
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: October 06, 2014, 02:56:00 AM »

And apparently the "search" function in start menu also pulls results from internet! WTF Get ready for your grandparents accidentally installing loads of scammy stuff.

That was going to happen anyway, they're just streamlining the process. Waaagh!
Conker534
« Reply #71 on: October 06, 2014, 11:12:54 AM »

why is everything so terrible now
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 06, 2014, 11:30:01 AM »

And you are young, what this left for me Huh?

Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: October 06, 2014, 02:23:29 PM »

And you are young, what this left for me Huh?

Code:
C:\>A:
A:\>FORMAT C: /S

(obvious serious note: don't try that =P)
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 06, 2014, 02:28:27 PM »

This is was teh quickest way to fix problem back in the day, just after restarting the computer, you have no idea how many time I had to input this lol glorious teen days

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 06, 2014, 03:34:23 PM »

And apparently the "search" function in start menu also pulls results from internet! WTF Get ready for your grandparents accidentally installing loads of scammy stuff.

That was going to happen anyway, they're just streamlining the process. Waaagh!

my parents (who are probably as old as your grandparents) don't even know how to use the search function.
Interface
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 08, 2014, 06:20:05 PM »

The worst was windowed RDP sessions... good lucking getting to the start menu. Luckily R2 brought the start button back. I just pin everything I need to the taskbar, no need for metro after that.
jolene
« Reply #77 on: October 08, 2014, 09:51:01 PM »

search in 8.1 already has web intergration. but the reason you actually should be happy about search in 10 (and in 8/8.1) is that it's not complete shit like vista and 7
saturdaymorning
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 08, 2014, 10:30:54 PM »

I'm on 8.1, and it isn't bad at all. I dunno why people freak out about the start menu. Just push the windows key and start typing what application you wanna launch.
Uykered
« Reply #79 on: October 08, 2014, 11:09:33 PM »

The only real difference from 7 that affects me on my 8.1 work computer is that the shut-down button is in a different position.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic