Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411511 Posts in 69375 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 01:47:46 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralWindows 10 - the best Windows yet
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Print
Author Topic: Windows 10 - the best Windows yet  (Read 5717 times)
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 09, 2014, 05:32:18 AM »

I like search in w98 where you save it as a file a use the list as click shortcut, saved time by having thematic file grouped together, power using is dead Sad

Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: October 09, 2014, 08:10:35 AM »

...you could save the search results?! O_O
mks
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 09, 2014, 11:48:16 AM »

The only real difference from 7 that affects me on my 8.1 work computer is that the shut-down button is in a different position.

You can use your PCs power button to shut it down...

When you're finished using your computer, it's important to turn it off properly—not only to save energy, but also to help keep your computer more secure and to ensure that your data is saved. There are three ways to turn off your computer: pressing your computer's power button, using the Shut down button (sometimes called the Power button) on the Start menu, and, if you have a laptop, closing the lid.

...says MS.

Where's the Spelunky 2 DevLog, Derek?
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 09, 2014, 11:59:46 AM »

duh it put in sleep mode by default  Shrug

mks
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 09, 2014, 12:22:39 PM »

Not my Desktop PC, but I'm riding on 7.
Shuts it nicely down, closing all open applications in the correct way.

Where's the Spelunky 2 DevLog, Derek?
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: October 09, 2014, 12:29:47 PM »

Yeah I have done that since win98. Too bad you cant do that over rdp (yes I could run a remote command, but sometimes rpc port management can be a bitch in certain tightly closed environments)

Interface
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 09, 2014, 05:28:14 PM »

I'm on 8.1, and it isn't bad at all. I dunno why people freak out about the start menu. Just push the windows key and start typing what application you wanna launch.

I agree. Plus on my desktop most of my frequent stuff is pinned to the taskbar anyway.
Siilk
Level 0

Techpriest software enginseer

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 09, 2014, 10:10:12 PM »

But from the quick preview I've seen, it looks ok, until I saw that 8 infected the start menu. The last thing I want to see is random scrolling ads every time I try launching a program from there. And apparently the "search" function in start menu also pulls results from internet! WTF Get ready for your grandparents accidentally installing loads of scammy stuff.

There's a way to deal with this start menu crap: Classic shell. It, and the 7TT are the only things that helped me survive in a post-XP world as I absolutely despise Vista/7 style taskbar(pinning, grouping etc) and non-classic start menu. But thanks to aforementioned programs my desktop looks like that(works with 8.1 on my home laptop just fine as well, not metro nonsense for me plz):

Honestly, all this tweakability should be native to win but oh well, as long as M$ is not interfering with 3rd-party stuff I can live with the newer incarnations of windows.

I'm on 8.1, and it isn't bad at all. I dunno why people freak out about the start menu. Just push the windows key and start typing what application you wanna launch.
No, thanks. If I wanted to type something, I'd used console instead. The whole point of having a menu is to let you navigate it easily with a mouse or cursor keys. If you have to type, the menu fails it's job to deliver it's content in an accessible manner.
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: October 10, 2014, 10:00:40 AM »

power using is dead Sad

Power users have all moved to Linux or have huge libraries of 3rd party tools and registry modifications under Windows.  I fall into the latter category.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 10, 2014, 10:46:58 AM »

time they make unity on linux

Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: October 10, 2014, 11:20:56 AM »

time they make unity on linux

Yes please, Unity and Guild Wars 2 are the last things I need Windows for. Although I might try Unity in Wine, I read it works with some tweaks.

Noogai03
Level 6

WHOOPWHOOPWHOOPWHOOP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: October 25, 2014, 07:54:11 AM »

so basically they fixed some bugs in CMD
added the start menu back in but more shit
made it so you can share your pointless shit on facebook to your non-existent friends who don't care
added features every other os has had for ages and that existed as separate applications for ages
made more people angry
generally undid loads of god awful shit they did in 8 and thus made it more like the glorious windows xp

So long and thanks for all the pi
Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: October 25, 2014, 09:51:00 AM »

Windows 8's Modern UI is horrible for anything that isn't a tablet and the contrast between Modern UI visual language and Classic Windows visual language is annoying. Windows 8 did bring good things (like a better Task Manager, native ISO mounts, and speedier launch times) but, even though I don't think the standard Windows menu is a be all and end all solution (I do like it, though), it continues to be better than Modern UI on desktop computers. Fortunately Windows 10 will solve (or, at least, mitigate) some of these problems.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic