Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411511 Posts in 69375 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 02:05:40 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeBest vector animation tool
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Best vector animation tool  (Read 1179 times)
Greender
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: October 01, 2014, 09:03:03 AM »

Hello,

I'm familiar with making graphics and animations using flash (I used to make flash games).
I was wondering if there is a good free alternative that can export the animations as sprite sheets and behaves similar to flash, I've read a little bit about Synfig Studio and Pencil2D but before trying alternatives I was wondering if any of you know of an alternative suited for a video game asset making orientation.

ActiveUnique
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 07:54:56 PM »

I can describe Synfig a bit. Version 0.65 (development version) is a steep improvement over 0.64 so skip right to it. It's nothing like using flash, Inkscape is still more feature-full by comparison, and there are very few built in macro optimizations. For instance, I can't edit more than one waypoint at a time in the timeline.

Also I began Ubuntu emulation to just to run 0.64 without crashing, and the new version required me to upgrade to ubuntu 14 for the Cairo package.

I think it'll be a good go-to for organic animations, and if you use the bones you could do some sprite animations, but it doesn't have games in mind, and I'm not aware of any plug-ins that would ease the load.

If you try it, mind telling us what you find?

I've read about the idea guy. Yeah, so, you should get a lazy team.
Greender
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 08:03:30 PM »

I will wait a little bit for info here then test some applications and post my conclusions here :D

SelfTitled
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 04:02:05 AM »

Havn't really used it much and it is not free ($25) but Spriter seems pretty good for animations, and for creating the vector graphics theirs Inkscape.

Polly
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 04:11:59 AM »

Why not stick with Flash? You can export your frames / animations as PNG sequence and generate a spritesheet with for instance TexturePacker.
Bilharzia
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2014, 04:31:15 PM »

Not free and does not have a built in sprite packer (I don't think) but the best vector animation tool I know of, that can also handle bitmaps is Anime Studio. It has a great 2D bones system which works well with vectors. Victor Paredes has made some great work with it:

Has flash export,PNG & other file formats.
Pro version is pricey but smithmicro are often having sales, chart here comparing versions:
http://anime.smithmicro.com/comparison.html
Debut version is much cheaper but has significant features missing.
Greender
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2014, 05:43:19 AM »

Why not stick with flash? ... I'm looking for free or inexpensive alternatives. Don't ask me how I used it before Tongue

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic