Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411418 Posts in 69362 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 17, 2024, 06:18:21 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudio**VOTING** TIGSource Musical Challenge XXXIV - "A Cymbal the Beats"
Poll
Question: Who is... Cartman's dad!?  (Voting closed: October 06, 2014, 07:23:29 PM)
Michael Marhal - Symbiotic Casting - 6 (46.2%)
pgil - Stucco - 0 (0%)
Arnold Savary - Tailpipe Heroes - 7 (53.8%)
Total Voters: 13

Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: **VOTING** TIGSource Musical Challenge XXXIV - "A Cymbal the Beats"  (Read 6097 times)
ZackParrish
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« on: October 01, 2014, 07:23:29 PM »

So, was a tough decision as always, but I picked the 3 I felt best conquered the challenge. The feedback I gave on all the tracks was me forcing myself to find something wrong with all the tracks so treat it with as much salt as you want. Overall the turnout was great and I enjoyed listening to every piece... always a treat to hear how someone goes about doing things when presented with limitations such as these. But who cares what I think... it's up to you now!  Now VOTE. Hand Shake Left WTF Hand Shake Right

For quick reference here are your four finalists' tracks:
https://soundcloud.com/michaelmarhal/symbioticcasting/s-M2M5B
https://soundcloud.com/pgil-1/stucco
https://soundcloud.com/asavary/tailpipe-heroes

FEEDBACK(Take it with some salt):
Nathan Cleary - "March of the Kalimbas"
https://soundcloud.com/nathan-cleary-123/march-of-the-kalimbas
The mix seems a bit heavy in the mid range, which is a wonderful side effect of using marimbas. Harmonically it's nice, a pleasant sounding progression and a melody to accompany it from the start. The melody sounds nice at the intro but is difficult to hear when everything else comes in later in the track. Seems like you were trying to make the mix loud instead of
trying to balance it. Volume is great but not at the expense of drowning out the focus point of the track(one would assume that's the melody in this case).

Python Blue - "Arrival of the Natives"
https://soundcloud.com/pythonblue/arrival-of-the-natives/s-O4zOn
I like how daunting it starts out, definitely has a tribal feel from the start to the finish. The shaker that plays throughout is a tad loud to me, or perhaps too 'present' in the mix. You could deaden it a tad with EQ and it would still be
find at it's current volume. It could also be because I have a headache while I'm listening to it... so who knows(not the songs fault, just a long day at work). I also enjoyed the progressive nature of the track, gradually adding pieces to the mix
and increasing the 'tension', constantly building to a climax. I felt like the 'climax' could've had a bit more of a sudden buildup just before it hits though. It's hard to explain in words, but think of how an orchestra has a suspended cymbal and timpani roll JUST before the climax... that kind of build up right at the end there. Helps bring the listener into the peak more naturally. As it is now, on first listen I was taken aback by the sudden cease of rhythmic delite because I didn't feel like it wanted to end at that particular point in time(nothing drove me there mentally).

Felx325 - "Loug Tig Samba"
Your link is dead...

Kyle Preston - "SeĀ“ance Of The Moon Rabbit"
https://kylepreston.bandcamp.com/track/se-ance-of-the-moon-rabbit
I like how it starts, interesting rhythm and choice of percussive instruments. All the parts accent each other well, and the humanization of the parts was well done... sounds believeable as a real ensemble. The addition of parts over time was nice, but they felt too similar to the instrumentation that was already established in the rhythm, and choosing something a bit more contrasted in terms of timbre would've helped the newer parts stand out more, especially when the metallic hits/drones were becoming louder and more frequent. The end of it was okay, was kind of dull compared to everything else but still worked. I disliked how quickly it cut out after the last hit though, since the natural decay of the instrument wasn't there and was prematurely cut... with no real noticeable reason to me. For having the bulk of it sound so natural, having such a forced and unnatural fade at the end wasn't so great.

Pearl Pixel - "Missing Summer"
https://soundcloud.com/pearl_pixel/missing-summer-tigsource-mc-xxxiv
Piece as a whole is charming, follows a nice direction with the harmony and melody. The mix was pretty heavy on the mids. Curse of marimbas, and really any wooden malleted instrument. Cutting the midrange with EQ can help push the presence of those nuissance instruments back. The rhythmic parts are pretty robotic and have no dynamic variance from what I can tell. They could use some difference in velocity between individual notes, particularly to accent certain beats/offbeats. Also feel like the stereo separation of the parts could've been handled better. A piece with so many similarly ranged instruments it can be difficult to get a balanced sound in regards to panning, but it's also imperative that when you do pan things they still make sense aurally.

LeoJ - "Banzai!!!"
https://soundcloud.com/joelmclean/banzai
This piece was definitely interesting to say the least. The mixing on it was pretty rough though, and the volume was excessively loud. I kept hearing pops/clicks in the mix as well... not sure if that was intentional but going out on a whim here and assuming it was buffering issues with your DAW. The most interesting part is the part a little over a minute into it, which only last for about 15-20 seconds before it makes a 180 and does some weird vocal thing. Experimental is one word that comes to mind when listening to this, but so does the concept that you have crafted schizophrenia with audio. There was no apparent direction in the track, so if chaos was your intention you nailed it. It had it's moments but overall it felt way too disjointed.

Michael Marhal - "Symbiotic Casting"
https://soundcloud.com/michaelmarhal/symbioticcasting/s-M2M5B
Great job on the mixing, no complaints there. Everything sounds balanced, panning was pretty solid, etc. You did well on keep the same basic rhythm throughout while also evolving the parts so that it didn't FEEL like it was the same.Normally I'd gripe about robotic sounding use of percussion but seeing as it's written with robots in mind... it makes more sense. It's also heavy with synthetic percussion which is more believable to be robotic.My biggest beef was the end of the track... wasn't terrible but it just didn't feel right. Kind of like going to a fast food joint, ordering a sprite, drinking the sprite, and you notice quickly that it clearly lacks the syrup and you are basically drinking carbonated water. It was going where I wanted it to go but never quite made it. That probably didn't make sense but I'm tired.

Andrew Mushel - "Percussive Sojourn"
https://soundcloud.com/andrewmushel/percussive-sojourn
I feel like the beginning could've used more variation in the velocity of the notes, particularly when it repeats the same note back to back. The beginning of the piece is kind of weird harmonically but quickly makes up for it when you start bringing in more parts and expanding things. Not necessarily weird in a bad way, just kind of made me cock my head sideways at first because it was unclear what direction you were going, then you kept going. The second half was great, kept getting better and better toward the end, and you mixed all the varying timbres together quite well. The way it ended was a bit of a disappointment... because it just ends. Nothing lead me to that finish naturally, and so when I get to that point I am left wanting. It's like you kept waving this bag of reese's cups in front of me and saying how good they are, and when you finally hand me the bag it's empty. There is nothing more to be had. Needs a proper ending to round it out, that or make it loop and fade it out.

pgil - "Stucco"
https://soundcloud.com/pgil-1/stucco
Very well done on the humanization of the different parts. Sounds very natural. The mixing is well done as well, everything is balanced, the panning is nice. Even the steel drums feel like they belong. The steel drum part sounds a bit random at times and unstructured, and I had a hard time really following it melodically. I like the syncopation throughout, makes the track stay interesting to listen to and nothing ever sounds out of place to me. My only real complaint is the track never really goes anywhere and is just kind of 'chill', which isn't a bad thing... just a preference.

Arnold Savary - "Tailpipe Heroes"
https://soundcloud.com/asavary/tailpipe-heroes
I like the beginning of this, the melody on the xylophone was nice. The rhythm was nice, but when you get to the runs on it, as well as the following section I'm not as excited anymore. The intro was really nice and then it goes on a kind of uninspired tantrum. The part that progresses after that section ends is nice, especially when you get to around 2:25 into the track and bring a lot more parts together. The fusion of electronic and acoustic sounds in that part was well mixed / balanced. With the exception of the 'runs' section you kept my attention rather well with the piece, definitely taking advantage of the many timbres available with percussive sounds. I felt like you could've kept the 'climax' at the end going just one more time through to really drive it home before going to the outro, especially with how long the build up to that part was.

Matt Beckett - "Matti's Island"
https://soundcloud.com/mattimeatball/mattis-island
Harmonically this is quite a pleasant piece of music. The melody is also well done and enjoyable to listen to. It doesn't really do anything for my rhythymically, and the hihat(or shaker), kick, and snare become a bit tiring after a while. You also have a lot of stuff in the center of the mix so things like the hand clap, while still there through out... are kind of hard to hear underneath the hat/shaker, the snare, kick, and glisses on the mallet instruments. I think if you had panned the rhythmic parts away from the center more, and also kept the melody and counter melodies pushed away from the center a tad the mix as a whole would've come together better, while keeping most if not all the parts clearly audible. The piece doesn't ever really go anywhere, just kind of stays the same throughout and then ends on a single chord. That last chord just felt like a 'whatever' kind of end.

marhal
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 09:03:40 PM »

YAY!!!! Thank you for including me in the top 3! :D   SMB Castle Flag

I agree with your feedback about the end of the track!  I really piled on the ideas for the last phrase of the track.  xD  My mindset was the robots go into overdrive mode kind of like a fast assembly line. 

Kyle Preston
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 08:33:46 AM »

Nice job everyone! So glad to see so many people submitting music.  Panda

Matt Beckett
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 11:32:15 AM »

That was fun - good stuff all around!

-------------------------------------
http://mattimeatblog.tumblr.com
http://thebicycles.bandcamp.com
-------------------------------------
Voltz.Supreme
Level 3

Iron Synth Chef & Voltage Architect

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2014, 01:43:03 PM »

Not bothered about the results at all but it's a shame you didn't fully get the piece. Thanks for the constructive feedback though. I was hoping it would speak for itself but maybe I should have explained it. Disjointed, chaos, experimental, yes, but each chunk had a specific reference to an element of ww2, hence the name.
There's suspense, confusion, mental insanity, connecting gun shots, sounds from inside a tank, air strikes and of course a banzai charge before it all starts again. Maybe I've just got a big imagination... Haha
As for the sound quality. I mentioned I didn't use an actual DAW or use any of my studio equipment. The whole piece was literally recorded and mixed on my phone across a wide range of locations including industrial work sites, inside big steel cavities, Japanese streets (and a preschool), and obviously just a room with the drum kit. For a ww2 piece I wanted it to be gritty but recording with a phone is a lot of fun and it really opens up the possibilities for recording anything, anywhere at any time. As long as you're ok with the lofi sound  Wink and yeah buffering is a random problem on the phone.
All the best to the three finalists! It's quite difficult to pick my fav.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 07:03:33 PM by Leo J » Logged

pgil
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2014, 06:08:22 PM »

Thanks Zack!  This was a fun challenge to work on. 

I agree my tune could use a little more progression.  I wasn't really sure how to build on it without taking a 180 turn near the end. I'm thinking now that more variation on the main rhythm parts (the drumkit and the xylaphone that plays chords) would have helped.

Oh, and the steel drum!  That's just something I sloppily improvised.   What you're hearing is my second attempt.  The first sounded too bluesy, and I din't think if fit with the mood I had going on.
amushel
Level 0

Nice jump, human.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2014, 08:06:18 AM »

Hehe. I'm pretty much in agreement on your critiques there. I think the velocity concerns in the beginning may just be a limitation of the sames. I did try various things to change it up, but the number of velocity layers and lack of real round robin were an issue. As for the ending, I just tacked that on once I decided I felt like stopping. It was last minute and half-assed. Grin

I had a lot of fun working on this one.

Game Audio Designer and Composer.
andrewmushel.com | Soundcloud | Twitter
ArnoldSavary
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2014, 09:26:01 AM »

Ow, so you didn't like the runs? I thought of that part sort of like a Guitar Hero style arpeggio solo, but played on tailpipes, hence the name of the track. Now that you mention it, I absolutely agree with your comment about the short length of the last part though. I didn't even consider the buidup / release balance.

Good luck to my fellow finalists.

PythonBlue
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2014, 04:14:20 AM »

Critique acknowledged, Zack. Yeah, it was difficult getting all the many drum sounds balanced in volume, and I guess some sounded louder than they should have, as you noted with the shaker. As for the climax, that sudden end was intended, as many tribal-style pieces that Ive heard tend to end similarly.

Best of luck to the finalists!

Also, sorry I took so long; had to attend a cousin's wedding, among other reasons.

Python Blue - composer for NeonXSZ
Official Website
Bandcamp
marhal
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2014, 03:42:20 PM »

Looks like voting is over.  Congratulations to Arnold Savary.  Thank you to the people who voted for me. 

ArnoldSavary
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2014, 01:33:35 PM »

Hey, I won! Thank you to all the people who voted for me, and thank you ZackParrish for hosting the challenge, it was a lot of fun.  Smiley

I'll start thinking about the theme of the next challenge then. How often do these take place ?

ZackParrish
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2014, 01:41:00 PM »

Usually within a few days after the last one finishes, and generally about a month for the deadline.

KeepItSimple
Level 0

Classically trained composer and trumpet player.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2014, 08:08:21 AM »

Actually I'd rather we go back to two weeks or so for the deadlines. Anyone agree/disagree?

my pros for shorter cycles:
- Faster challenge cycles allowing for more variety in the challenges.
- You don't have to wait a month to know how well you did.
- Flattens the field between those who have time to work on their submission over a whole month and those who only have a couple of hours to put in to something like this.
- When people see they have a month, they might get the wrong idea about the scope of these challenges. These are supposed to be (by my personal opinion) small fun horizon expanding exercises - not month long projects.
- Can't commit to the current challenge? Don't like the current theme? No worries! In three weeks or so the next one will start! (As apposed to a month and a half.)

Keep it simple.
ZackParrish
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2014, 10:03:12 AM »

I don't really have a preference on the time constraints... just do a month because all the challenges I've entered in so far have been a month for the deadline.  Undecided

pgil
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2014, 05:55:06 PM »

I kind of prefer shorter deadlines too.  It would be a little more fun and spontaneous that way, and having less of a time commitment might encourage people to worry less about refinement and experiment more.  Like KeepItSimple says, it's supposed to be an exercise, not a project.

I don't know about everyone else, but I tend to wait until the last week or so before I do anything in these challenges, anyway.
KeepItSimple
Level 0

Classically trained composer and trumpet player.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2014, 10:48:14 AM »

No pressure. It's up to whoever wins to decide. If I really wanna change things I'll just have to win this time  Evil

But seriously it's no big deal...

Keep it simple.
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2014, 05:49:41 AM »

gonna throw my hat in the ring in support of the shorter deadlines as well

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic