Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 02:25:58 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioWhat Instrument Is This?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: What Instrument Is This?  (Read 842 times)
Kyle Preston
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« on: October 02, 2014, 08:49:17 AM »

From the film "Enemy At The Gates",

is the song. It's the aggressively picked/plucked instrument that carries the melody for the first 35ish seconds. It's one of those instruments I've heard in so many different contexts but I'm not sure how to recreate it. I'm assuming it's Eastern European or Russian, maybe just a violin played with a pick? Anyone know?

ArnoldSavary
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2014, 10:22:20 AM »

Isn't that just a mandolin?

And if we're playing the instrument game, I have a question too:

at 1:40 onwards, what is happening with the chords exactly? I can hear a piano on there, and a bass probably, but I'm not sure what's playing the high notes. Maybe an electric guitar?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 10:32:03 AM by ASavary » Logged

Kyle Preston
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 11:29:30 AM »

After doing some more detective work, I'm pretty sure it's a Domra, a Russian mandolin, demonstrated beautifully

; my god she can wail!

Wow, beautiful Man Of Tai Chi song. Totally did not notice it when I saw the film....shame on me! As far as that high part that plays with the bass and piano, it sounds like a synth pad with a higher delay output than input, which kind of mimics the Ostinato technique. Kind of what's used heavily in this Coldplay (apologies, first band I could think of)

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 02:08:59 PM »

this thread is literally only five threads below yours as of this writing

ZackParrish
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2014, 04:23:50 PM »

More likely a balalaika than a domra. Balalaika, considering it's used more frequently in folk Russian music, and usually played with a lot of tremolo picking. The tone of it is pretty much on point with the sound of the instrument in the opening of the track you linked...

Kyle Preston
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2014, 11:32:42 AM »

Thanks Zack,

The Balalaika seems to really match the timbre of the instrument.  Nice detective skills; all this talk of Russian instruments makes me want to spend the day on Wikipedia doing loads of research.

ArnoldSavary
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2014, 02:53:02 PM »

This isn't so much a "what instrument is it" question, more like a "how can I get this sound" question.

How can I get such a sweet sounding contrabass / drums combo?

For the contrabass, at the moment I'm using Kontr from the Acoustic Samples free collection. It sounds okay but are there any better ones?
About the drums, I don't actually have anything to emulate drums played with a brush. I've recently heard of the "Roots" expansion for Superior Drummer which might be pretty cool. Are there any good sounding alternatives?

ZackParrish
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2014, 03:24:16 PM »

http://www.orangetreesamples.com/corebass-pear-upright-bass <-- Perhaps this might interest you for the bass...

For drums...
Battery 4 has some nice brush kit sounds, can't say how anything outside of that will sound since it's the only percussion set I've come across in the past 10 years that has any extensive sampling of brushed hits included with it. :\

http://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/drums/battery-4/

If you want free stuff... can't help you there.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic