Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 02:11:03 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhall[Android][Bullet Hell] OS Siege
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: [Android][Bullet Hell] OS Siege  (Read 657 times)
SeptemberCrab
Level 0

View Profile
« on: October 03, 2014, 11:29:16 AM »

Good evening,

For couple of months I've been working on SHMUP game for a handled device.

End product is a casual SHMUP game for android phones (and tablets), where you take a role of a friendly virus and attack evil OS.

Biggest I've stumbled upon is control in this type of game. So its still a thing i will polish based on feedback. At the moment movement is controlled by "virtual analog stick" and "virtual button" (tap'a'lot) to shot. Was thinking about replacements for analog stick, but you wont be able to survive bullet hell by obscuring view with your fingers.

Promo video -

Google play - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.septembercrab.furastorm

All feedback is welcome!

Zelun
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 03:34:31 PM »

Hey, SeptemberCrab! I didn't know that there were bullet hell fans over here.

I had some problem with controls too and my tip for you is that the less the player have to interact by touching and sliding is the better. An virtual analog stick is pretty tiring for the player and it does obstruct the player view too. Two things that can break all the experience for any good bullet hell.

My way to -fix- this was by just pointing where the ship (in my case sakura) had to go and it would go in a preset speed where you tapped. If the player does not want to go anymore in that direction just tap again to another point.

I guess i can't post my game here, because I'm new to this forum and it kinda is against the rules.

Btw, played you game. It is simple and fun! But controls are kinda clunky indeed.
SeptemberCrab
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2014, 01:32:20 AM »

Thanks for the tip Zelun!

Thinking about it... i have it already coded, but it didn't feel right to me. Ill do some brainstorming on that matter.

What about shooting then? If you can tap anywhere to move, then in order to shot should there be a "virtual button"?
Because shooting only when tapping on enemy would be kind of... tricky if they move at big speeds and you'll end up sending your SHMUPer there.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 01:37:39 AM by SeptemberCrab » Logged
Zelun
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 01:50:58 AM »

Actually, tapping to shot was something that i did not think of.

And the feel was really good.

Congrats about that! :D
SeptemberCrab
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 11:30:43 AM »

Did few changes to the game.

First of all, changed how tutorial "level" works. Tutorial will show "what to do" for 5 seconds, afterwards you will be able to skip it. If you manage to beat level 1, tutorial skipping will be shortened to 1 seconds.

Changed "life bar" system. Instead of "hard to spot" bar at the top of the screen, added a growing "color inverting" bubble, when player gets hit.

Made level 1 a bit more friendly. If person doesn't pick up upgrades, upgrades will come to the person, and he will learn "by force" that upgrades are marked with a black tracker marker.

Also added a scoring system and "your highest" score.

Also added a gameplay video to google play, instead of a promo video.

Hope this will solve some issues of game.
williemammoth
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2014, 05:21:28 PM »

Hey september crab,

I'm not sure I agree with the previous reply about the controls, they seem adequate to me and I've come to expect these types of controls for bullet hell games, I'm glad you didnt go with using the accelerometer Smiley

One piece of criticism is that the death/losing health animation doesn't really convey that you are dying, I thought I had a buff at first actually.
SeptemberCrab
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 10:49:01 AM »

Hey september crab,

I'm not sure I agree with the previous reply about the controls, they seem adequate to me and I've come to expect these types of controls for bullet hell games, I'm glad you didnt go with using the accelerometer Smiley

One piece of criticism is that the death/losing health animation doesn't really convey that you are dying, I thought I had a buff at first actually.

Thanks for the feedback lad! Appreciate it!

Oh my, that "life" thingy turned out to be great then :D
I understand that players might be frustrated but its really funny way of trolling. Expectations meet reality :D
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic