Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411501 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 03:05:11 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsCow Abductors
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Cow Abductors  (Read 7209 times)
oodavid
Level 8

Discombobulate!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2014, 10:47:19 AM »

Following, cool name and looks like a really fun game - makes me think of the Desert Strike games for some reason

Button up! - Out on Android and iOS

latest release: 13th March 2015
Oleg Klishin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2014, 11:12:05 PM »

I like this idea a lot as for a casual mobile game! I'll be watching Well, hello there!

Art portfolio and social media links: olegklishin.com
ananasblau
Level 2

dressed up

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2014, 12:04:50 AM »

What do you guys think? It would really help to hear some other opinion on this. I personaly like #3. What about you?

I always prepare for #2 even if I go #1. But in this case, #3 is best.

Voltz.Supreme
Level 3

Iron Synth Chef & Voltage Architect

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2014, 01:10:20 AM »

#3 !

redplanet
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2014, 02:33:35 AM »

#3 works best for me, I think.

Looks like it has potential to be a fun game!
Sorsy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2014, 05:04:03 AM »

Hey guys, I'm very happy to have such a great support Smiley Also thanks for you opinions on the colour palettes, ananasblau once again couldn't disappoint me, thanks dude! :D

Just to show you how it looks right now, here is a screenshot:

I changed the saucer a bit. Now it has lights (yaaay!) which corresponds to it's health. You can see it gets shot by a soldier, so that's why it has only two left.

Then I worked on menu. I did quite a big animation which will play when you get into it. I'm not sure if the overall look isn't too simple as it's just a text and a couple of rectangles. Or if it should have something from the game? Like aliens smoking, jumping on pogo-sticks, cleaning laser guns and accidentally shooting other ones... Something crazy like that? Right now it doesn't look too connected to it. What do you think?

Oleg Klishin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2014, 07:50:45 AM »

Or if it should have something from the game? Like aliens smoking, jumping on pogo-sticks, cleaning laser guns and accidentally shooting other ones... Something crazy like that?
That sounds great!

Art portfolio and social media links: olegklishin.com
Sorsy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2014, 01:32:28 PM »

OK, I guess that is the way I'll go ;)

Last week when I was on a train I had an idea. What goes well with UFO? Crazy headlines in newspaper. And so I wrote some - a lot to be clear. And then I was thinking how I could implement them, if it would be like a hidden object in-game which you would have to tap on and it would show or something else. After some thought I came up with kind of achievements. I have aversion to them mainly because I think many developers can't use them. Like WT actual F. Achievements for completing tutorials or progressing story? That is really stupid. When I get one of those I am like: "Well, what an achievement to get to chapter 3!" ... I think you get what I mean and that is certainly not the route I'm going.

I have a mockup ready for you to see which I put together in Gimp:

This one will show when you finish a level while coming close to a farmer but not abducting him. After that you can find your unlocked newspaper headlines in Extras menu. Also what are your thoughts on telling players what they have to do to unlock achievements? I think i depends upon cases and in this one it would be fair to let them know so they can try to get them intentionally.

Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2014, 09:18:32 PM »

I'd not tell the player directly what to do for all the achievements. Maybe you could add a hinting system. At the start, all achievements are locked, the only hints could be the names. If the player gets an achievement, you could unlock a hint button on one or more other achievements, so the player has the choice to figure out everything on it's own, or using the unlocked buttons and 'cheat' a little bit.
Sorsy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2014, 05:42:16 AM »

That does seem a bit too complicated to me. It's like adding a guess game into it. But on the other hand it may add a new goal to some people who like completing games 100%. Decisions... Hell if I know!

Thanks for your suggestion!  Beer!

Voltz.Supreme
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2014, 04:24:54 PM »

Put an interesting and interactive map on the screen and this will be great. Use the map to your advantage by trapping cows etc and blocking off fast soldier vehicles etc.
A lot of effort but you really should be able to fly through small towns and reeeek havoc...  Corny Laugh

If it's too much work for you, I'd be getting an artist to do really nice and detailed maps.

Sorsy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2014, 05:38:56 AM »

I don't know if I made it clear that this game is level based. Which means building a open world like that really is an overkill. But sounds cool for sure, just not for this one.

Thanks a lot anyway, every idea is welcomed as it gives me new ones :) Like level where you should harass a little trailer town, that sounds like something worth adding.

Voltz.Supreme
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2014, 12:02:38 AM »

Not suggesting open world. Simply put detail into what ever levels you create and make it interesting. What every crazy stuff you can think of, throw it in there!

Sorsy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2014, 03:15:05 AM »

Isn't that how good games are made? Why would I want to do anything else? :)

Voltz.Supreme
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2014, 03:57:08 AM »

Ha! Looking forward to it!

Sorsy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2014, 09:25:04 AM »

Hello guys, last two days I did nothing on the game because I worked on the website for it which you can visit right HERE. Not some webdesigner's wet dream but it works :D Probably not something you will be too interested in because I will update it monthly.

But hey! Sorsy! Are you really just shamefully advertising your website?! Nope! Then why you don't write anything more? I am, you see?

What I was trying to do today was that darn score combo system which I'm not sure if I talked already about. Basicaly how you do in level will be decided based on the score you get... I think... So. What I thought of is this. You can do different things in a level, like abduct cows, farmers, drop probbed farmers which then can knock out FBI agents... I want to give you points based on chains of those actions. Example:

You abduct one cow - you get 1000 points.
You abduct another cow - you get another 1000 points but also one "multiplier" point which will get you extra 10% points more of those 1000.
If you abduct another cow, you get 1000 once more but now you get 20% extra.
If you abduct farmer you break the extras and it counts from zero for farmers which you can also chain together.

So I will give you 1000 for abducted cow, 500 for abducted farmer and 700 for knocked-out agent. All of those can be chained. But there is more. Every level will have it's own combo which will get you even more points. So imagine there is combo, where you have to abduct two cows, abduct farmer and abduct another cow. If you do this in different level you get 3600 points (1000+1100+500+1000) but you did this in level where this was special combo so you get like 5000 or so.

What do you think about this? I have this just on paper, nothing in-game so there is really nothing to show (I doubt there would be even if I had).

Sorsy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2014, 03:41:34 PM »

I did that score combo system which was pretty easy. It's getting close to releasing a pre-alpha or something playable, who knows how that is supposed to be called.

I had some fun putting together newspaper backgrounds. Here are some of them:

Pictures in those are just resized images I found on the web.

ananasblau
Level 2

dressed up

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2014, 11:30:29 PM »

I had some fun putting together newspaper backgrounds. Here are some of them:

If it is set in earlier times you might want to change terrorist into communist.

Sorsy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2014, 05:11:52 AM »

That is a good point. I wasn't thinking about the time period this game sits in.

ananasblau
Level 2

dressed up

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2014, 07:27:29 AM »

That is a good point. I wasn't thinking about the time period this game sits in.

How about a parallel timeline where McCarthy who defected to the Russians bringing them the plans for the atomic bomb and for space rockets, all of which he stole from wannabe-defectors he interrogated. As a reward the Russians later fulfilled a life-long dream of his and made him the first man in space where he had a freak accident with the last Nazi Flugscheibe still in orbit and had a horrible death live on television. Incidentally his defection in '47 caused such a media outrage that the Roswell Incident was never covered and the visitors from outer space went unnoticed for many years to come. Until that day they decided to abduct cows...

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic