Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 03:31:07 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralHuman Hugs
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 115
Print
Author Topic: Human Hugs  (Read 328998 times)
ithamore
TIGSource Editor
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1760 on: May 08, 2013, 01:09:01 AM »

I'm allergic to my fucking allergy medication.

Doctors sometimes don't ask the right questions. Ask your doc to quote the Hippocratic Oath.

Please help TimW, a longtime promoter of indie gaming everywhere and an old friend of TIGSource, to write about indie games full-time.
Trystin
Level 4

Nyoom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1761 on: May 09, 2013, 04:23:20 PM »

If this is true i'm overwhelmed by the irony.

ness io kain
Level 6

died and is a ghost.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1762 on: May 13, 2013, 06:04:50 PM »

I and have been unable to work sincerely on anything new for a very long time, because I'm sinking all my time into one project I've been chopping away at for about two years. I can't give it my full attention because I have to do other work full time to feed and shelter myself. I have no serious assurance it will be particularly well-received when it's finished. This is still what I love doing. But I'm learning "love" doesn't produce automatic satisfaction.
I have been reduced to "lurking" status for quite a while now; I only occasionally come here and browse, and when I do, I find myself (to my own annoyance and self-disappointment) grumbling, "Who are all these new kids? Where did everyone go?" Then I feel dissatisfied with the community as a whole, asking things like, "Why is everyone in their midtwenties, probably white, and male?" But I am all of these things, so I can't ever be part of the solution. And, anyway, there's nowhere better to go.

All that depressing rant to say:
I know I'm not the only one out there feeling disconnected and unfulfilled in his work. Everybody, everywhere: Keep working. The future is always different; I feel time and change are inextricably glued together. And if you're at the bottom, "different" means "better". But to get to different you have to work.
Or maybe you have to work because it's all you know anymore. But there's pride in that, too; you still have a choice, and if you're choosing to keep pushing forward, you're doing the best possible thing -- best of two is still best.
Either way, you're winning. Not prettiest. Not happiest. Winning. And in this life, little league advice from fathers has cut short its application: Winning is what matters. Because it's not people with feelings vs. people with feelings. It's those "person vs. environment" and "person vs. self" struggles you remember from fiction analysis in school. We're all "person". We're winning. It's enough.
 Beer!

Peace and hope,
OK

My music.
If your Twitter doesn't have enough depression and awkward pomposity, here you go.
s_l_m
Level 8

Open to collabs

View Profile
« Reply #1763 on: May 13, 2013, 06:12:58 PM »

peace and keep on truckin

Think happy thoughts.
mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1764 on: May 14, 2013, 06:02:45 AM »

So after my dad decided to leave my mom and we have been living in the house while they are "resolving" this mess. My mom is claiming my dad have had an affair for like a year which is very likely. I haven't spoken to my dad for like 2 months because I haven't felt like it and my mom really don't want me to contact him. Now he is going desperate and is trying to force us out of the house by contacting a lawyer and is suing my mom for a bunch of money. I guess I have been depressed for the past 6 months, I haven't had much contact with my friends and I don't have a job so I rarely leave the house but I do exercise often so that is stress relieving. I don't know what to make of this mess.

Smithy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1765 on: May 14, 2013, 09:48:43 AM »

I and have been unable to work sincerely on anything new for a very long time, because I'm sinking all my time into one project I've been chopping away at for about two years. I can't give it my full attention because I have to do other work full time to feed and shelter myself. I have no serious assurance it will be particularly well-received when it's finished. This is still what I love doing. But I'm learning "love" doesn't produce automatic satisfaction.
I have been reduced to "lurking" status for quite a while now; I only occasionally come here and browse, and when I do, I find myself (to my own annoyance and self-disappointment) grumbling, "Who are all these new kids? Where did everyone go?" Then I feel dissatisfied with the community as a whole, asking things like, "Why is everyone in their midtwenties, probably white, and male?" But I am all of these things, so I can't ever be part of the solution. And, anyway, there's nowhere better to go.

All that depressing rant to say:
I know I'm not the only one out there feeling disconnected and unfulfilled in his work. Everybody, everywhere: Keep working. The future is always different; I feel time and change are inextricably glued together. And if you're at the bottom, "different" means "better". But to get to different you have to work.
Or maybe you have to work because it's all you know anymore. But there's pride in that, too; you still have a choice, and if you're choosing to keep pushing forward, you're doing the best possible thing -- best of two is still best.
Either way, you're winning. Not prettiest. Not happiest. Winning. And in this life, little league advice from fathers has cut short its application: Winning is what matters. Because it's not people with feelings vs. people with feelings. It's those "person vs. environment" and "person vs. self" struggles you remember from fiction analysis in school. We're all "person". We're winning. It's enough.
 Beer!

Peace and hope,
OK

I suppose this is where I am as well. Ah well.

Mono: Good luck out there. Life is a mess. I wish I could figure it out myself.

Blambo
« Reply #1766 on: May 14, 2013, 05:02:40 PM »

If this is true i'm overwhelmed by the irony.

It's true, cruelly hilarious, and unfair.
ithamore
TIGSource Editor
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1767 on: May 15, 2013, 07:32:15 AM »

I don't know what to make of this mess.

Sorry you're in such a difficult situation.

This would be my first advice to keep in mind: it's not your fault. You might be old enough to not be feeling this sort of guilt much. But if such guilt does creep into your emotions, please try to remember that the conflict that is causing you trouble is between your parents.

A good friend of mine, who has been doing marriage and family consoling for decades, gave me this advice. Support your mom but don't completely abandon your dad forever. Who knows where your life will lead to in the future.

I would also add another piece of advice that was once given to me by a friend when I was going through tough times. Channel your problems into something creative, and give yourself daily goals that are achievable and reach them.

Please help TimW, a longtime promoter of indie gaming everywhere and an old friend of TIGSource, to write about indie games full-time.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1768 on: May 15, 2013, 08:46:20 AM »

This would be my first advice to keep in mind: it's not your fault. You might be old enough to not be feeling this sort of guilt much. But if such guilt does creep into your emotions, please try to remember that the conflict that is causing you trouble is between your parents.
my parents got divorced when i was 4 or 5 and i never felt like it was my fault.

anyway using work to distract yourself is probably a good idea for the short term but in my experience it can be a double edged sword. sometimes it gives you a temporary rush but once you're done you end up feeling even worse than before.

imo the most important thing is to have someone to talk about your feelings with.

so yeah, hang in there Smiley
Carrion
Level 10

crowbro

View Profile
« Reply #1769 on: May 21, 2013, 10:16:45 PM »

I hallucinate giant birds who tell really shitty jokes. I am the saddest of all turtles and suck at drawing, the end.

forwardresent
« Reply #1770 on: May 22, 2013, 11:40:30 PM »

Things are going a little bit bad right now, for a lot of people, but you're all excellent.
Blambo
« Reply #1771 on: May 23, 2013, 03:38:44 AM »

I hallucinate giant birds who tell really shitty jokes. I am the saddest of all turtles and suck at drawing, the end.

Is this a serious gripe? I personally like your stuff, bro.
s_l_m
Level 8

Open to collabs

View Profile
« Reply #1772 on: May 23, 2013, 05:48:17 AM »

Things are going a little bit bad right now, for a lot of people, but you're all excellent.

QFT

Think happy thoughts.
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1773 on: May 23, 2013, 07:26:09 AM »

My uncle just died, at 57. Very abruptly.
I'm not really sad. Just kind of off-balance. Head's fuzzy.
Suddently acutely aware of how old my parents are.
So it goes.

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
Jared C
Level 10

hostess with the mostess

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1774 on: May 23, 2013, 07:21:45 PM »

So sorry, Hangedman. Sad My dad just turned 58 today. I don't know how I'd be able to handle something like that.

My deepest condolences.

Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1775 on: May 26, 2013, 07:53:08 AM »

My condolences as well.
louisdeb
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #1776 on: May 27, 2013, 06:28:53 AM »

^ Sad
(very nice drawing)
Carrion
Level 10

crowbro

View Profile
« Reply #1777 on: June 09, 2013, 05:20:05 PM »

I quit art.

Blambo
« Reply #1778 on: June 09, 2013, 05:42:03 PM »

Carrion, get the fuck over yourself. You're awesome at what you do, and I'm sure everyone here likes everything you've put out so far.
Conker534
« Reply #1779 on: June 09, 2013, 05:56:09 PM »

Carrion you're a amazing artist dude, don't waste your pure talent. I love your work man, its original and amazing, don't do that to yourself.
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 115
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic