Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 18, 2024, 11:46:38 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralHuman Hugs
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 115
Print
Author Topic: Human Hugs  (Read 327712 times)
Ashkin
« Reply #1780 on: June 09, 2013, 09:44:47 PM »

I quit art.
Don't fall into Cellusios' cycle of being annoyed at art (or pretending to be), getting praised, then becoming full of yourself
You have talent, but it needs polishing, which is what makes art fun- you have room to improve, and getting better is a great journey
Ignore the praise, ignore the hate, sift through the actual critique for something valid.
Carrion
Level 10

crowbro

View Profile
« Reply #1781 on: June 09, 2013, 09:58:36 PM »

I'm just tired of art, and the internet. I've always just been half good at drawing and stuff, and I put out pixel art and it got me a smidgen of attention. The only reason I choose it as my primary occupation is because I'm lousy at everything else in life and being "creative" is a good excuse for how socially awkward I am. The only reason I got any attention in the first place is because of this dumb nostalgic retro tumblr-wave shit that has been going on. What happens when that's over?

I rarely share the things I do with others online and the second I do people pick it apart and assume that I'm coming off as some self proclaimed art savant. I know how vital critique is, and I know that there are always going to be those few haters out of the bunch, and I'm not really insulted by anything specific that happened...I appreciate every single critique that has been given, honest. I just feel like an impostor of some sort.

I'm not an artist. I just doodled a lot when I was younger and had some ambitions here or there but it's not my thing.  Every occupation that proves to be useful or relevant to the world is either taken up or out of my reach. So I jumped on the artist wagon. If I was this bad a hundred years ago I wouldn't be accepted as an artist at all, standards have simply dropped, and I got lucky.

Maybe I just think too much about it. It's just hard to feel good about what you do when the rest of the world is already so occupied. I'm not going to literally stop drawing or pixelating, I'm just confused as to why I have the urge to share it with others.

joseph ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1782 on: June 09, 2013, 10:09:18 PM »

you're not good at anything yet because you haven't devoted 10 years of your life to anything yet, dude. How old were you 10 years ago, like, 7? Nobody in your school is any good at anything yet either. This shit takes time. You feel like everything you could do is already filled by much more qualified people because you're young, and it is -- so take the time to get qualified.

relax, it'll come, stick with it (or whatever else you'd rather stick with)

clockwrk_routine
« Reply #1783 on: June 09, 2013, 10:43:12 PM »

poop like to put poops down
but you know poop always float back up
Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1784 on: June 09, 2013, 10:55:26 PM »

you're not good at anything yet because you haven't devoted 10 years of your life to anything yet, dude. How old were you 10 years ago, like, 7? Nobody in your school is any good at anything yet either. This shit takes time. You feel like everything you could do is already filled by much more qualified people because you're young, and it is -- so take the time to get qualified.

This guy knows whats up

Carrion
Level 10

crowbro

View Profile
« Reply #1785 on: June 09, 2013, 11:09:04 PM »

This is very true, thank you for that.

And Keo, that was fucking beautiful.

Kekskiller
« Reply #1786 on: June 13, 2013, 06:07:03 AM »

The last few weeks I've been working on a rather complex and powerful savegame system for a cross-platform game and now they effectively canceled everything I was working on. Clamped my daily need of sleep to 5 hours to get it done, even contributed highly optimized code of my own projects and all I get is that they just don't use in the final game? Just cause some dum UI designer is too lazy to implement some buttons for it? Geez, some days I don't know why I'm coding anyway. So many things are just plainly wrong. All these weeks I could've spent fixing bugs. Now I got just more and more work to do. Good bye much-needed vacation...

I could really use a hug now Sad
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1787 on: June 13, 2013, 06:38:27 AM »

I know that feeling, but that is why it's important to choose who you work with as carefully as you can given the current financial situation of everything.
Hugs cause the situation sucks anyway. Get some good rest over the weekend if you can.

Barch
« Reply #1788 on: June 15, 2013, 03:58:37 PM »

think of it this way, you got payed to create great! Something that tested your ability and skills. Learnt how to defy each step of the great evolution of sleep and replaced with code! Now that this code is in the palm of your hand you have another alonso weapon, a chimera of sorts that saves progress for not only this game my friend but the games of the future! Make no mistake this great task has not taken away from you - but taken you further then you ever have been.

So I say - thank the deserters, the unorganized and tricksters; without them you would of never had this new coding path to trod.
Kekskiller
« Reply #1789 on: June 15, 2013, 04:07:36 PM »

Well, yes, this is sort of true. True in a way that eventually some producer will have a "great" idead to throw in a few other changes I already did before but he forget about, yes.

Thanks for the kind words, I think I got over it by now.
Dread Knight
Level 0

Materializes Abolished!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1790 on: June 28, 2013, 05:48:14 AM »

The last few weeks I've been working on a rather complex and powerful savegame system for a cross-platform game and now they effectively canceled everything I was working on. Clamped my daily need of sleep to 5 hours to get it done, even contributed highly optimized code of my own projects and all I get is that they just don't use in the final game? Just cause some dum UI designer is too lazy to implement some buttons for it? Geez, some days I don't know why I'm coding anyway. So many things are just plainly wrong. All these weeks I could've spent fixing bugs. Now I got just more and more work to do. Good bye much-needed vacation...

I could really use a hug now Sad

Unfortunately game development is not a straight forward process *sigh*
Like it's not hard enough work, the game design tends to change along the way because we get to test things in action and see things from a different point of view and they don't always work as imagined. It's not ideal but it's something we must expect. I understand your sorrow though and I hope you'll feel better soon *hug* xD

www.AncientBeast.com - Turn Based Strategy Game. Master your Beasts!
Tazi
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1791 on: July 13, 2013, 04:26:15 AM »

Several day ago I sent an email to Cactus about if they're still looking for music for featuring it in HM2, and I also linked my better tracks.
Now I understand that my stuff might not be a good fit into the game, or not good enough, or no more space left, or anything, but it feels such a letdown. I mean I'd be happy even with a simple sentence reply like "sorry, but no."  Sad

Kekskiller
« Reply #1792 on: July 13, 2013, 05:33:13 AM »

Big hug to Tazi, I know that feeling. There was a time were I send bazillions of emails to developers cause I wanted to hear my music in a game I saw fit. They never anwsered and I chose a different path. Years later I realized that very often you have to know the people in person to into their projects. Not sure what's up with cactus (who seems to have vanished from TIGS?) but I'm sure he's quite selective about who he works with and what he wants to put in his game. I know a bunch of guys I never would've replied to on the internets cause I didn't know how I can actually work with them and whether their mojo fit's mine.

Don't let yourself absorb from this. Sometimes were just a blink of an eye. I mean geez, his game has become big-ass famous - can't blame him for beeing selective!
Tazi
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1793 on: July 13, 2013, 07:01:52 AM »

Thanks for the words (and hugs)! Smiley

Yeah, I know, he probably just has no time to reply everything that lands in his mailbox, yet it's still not a good feeling to be ignored.
Well, it's time to move on, maybe I should try the 'business' subforum here, to get in some project? I know I wouldn't have the time to create a full soundtrack (I have my own game's development going on), but I'd be glad to make some additional tracks for some cool game...

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1794 on: July 13, 2013, 07:43:22 AM »

you have to realize just how many emails he gets like that. it's hard to reply to them all. i'm nowhere near as famous as cactus but i still get several emails like that a month, musicians asking if i could use their music in my game or hire them to write music for my games and so on; there's a flood of composer emails that every indie has to deal with, and most of us have long since stopped replying to that flood (i stopped replying to them several years ago because it'd just take too much time)

ink.inc
« Reply #1795 on: July 13, 2013, 07:45:24 AM »

there are a lot of hungry musicians
joseph ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1796 on: July 13, 2013, 07:48:23 AM »

Yeah dude, that empty rejection feeling sucks, but it's what you're gonna have to grow to expect if you want to keep cold-emailing developers. Just carry on and keep making cool shit, eventually they'll be emailing you!

ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1797 on: July 13, 2013, 12:00:29 PM »

I've been on both sides of that... It's complicated. As the person sending the e-mail, I've learned not to expect anyone to necessarily reply to anything I send them, even if it's someone who knows me well. There's a multitude of reasons this can happen, and being ignored is only one of many. As the person receiving the e-mail, I'm sometimes pretty far behind in my inbox and it can take a while to catch up with replies - if only a few days have gone by, I wouldn't count on your e-mail even having been viewed yet.

I don't know if this is an introvert thing or just me, but replying to this type of e-mail takes a large amount of time and mental effort. I'm not content replying with something like "sorry, but no", because it isn't consistent with the way I'd like to present myself. Rejections are carefully and tactfully crafted (it's likely to take me an hour or so to write one), and they're still easier than the alternative! If I reply that I do want to work with you, I'm making a commitment to a new working relationship, which isn't something I do lightly, especially with someone I don't already know. It would mean a large amount of future time spent communicating and a lot of potential stress. I'm sure that's not true/not a big deal for everyone, but this is how it is for me.

I also have a bad habit of just letting an e-mail sit in my inbox if I'm not sure whether to say "yes" or "no". In fact, just a few days ago I replied to a months-old e-mail that was in this category. I'm probably not the only one who does this...

Another thing, specifically about musicians: It seems like there are way more of them than current demand can support. On another forum I frequent, the vast majority of posts in the classified section are musicians looking for someone to work with. Sometimes they can get very pushy...funny story from GDC last year: I was sitting in one of the lounge areas after sessions had ended for the day, and a guy comes up to me and strikes up a conversation. I show him one of my games, and he expresses interest in writing music for me. I wasn't particularly interested, but tried to politely play along while he gave me a demo CD, and had me awkwardly sit there listening to the entire thing on the spot. A few days after the conference, he sends me an e-mail that says something like "it was great meeting you. I'd like to help you out on the soundtrack for your next project. Please get in touch with me at your earliest convenience. Also, I don't have your phone number." Holy crap, dude, back off. I didn't reply to him, and I know he's an unusual case, but I have to admit that that experience biased me against cold introductions from musicians.

Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #1798 on: July 13, 2013, 12:06:48 PM »

How do you think girls feel their whole lives? But we still have to hit on them (gender substitutions possible)
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1799 on: July 13, 2013, 01:44:25 PM »

I've been on both sides of that... It's complicated. As the person sending the e-mail, I've learned not to expect anyone to necessarily reply to anything I send them, even if it's someone who knows me well. There's a multitude of reasons this can happen, and being ignored is only one of many. As the person receiving the e-mail, I'm sometimes pretty far behind in my inbox and it can take a while to catch up with replies - if only a few days have gone by, I wouldn't count on your e-mail even having been viewed yet.

I don't know if this is an introvert thing or just me, but replying to this type of e-mail takes a large amount of time and mental effort. I'm not content replying with something like "sorry, but no", because it isn't consistent with the way I'd like to present myself. Rejections are carefully and tactfully crafted (it's likely to take me an hour or so to write one), and they're still easier than the alternative! If I reply that I do want to work with you, I'm making a commitment to a new working relationship, which isn't something I do lightly, especially with someone I don't already know. It would mean a large amount of future time spent communicating and a lot of potential stress. I'm sure that's not true/not a big deal for everyone, but this is how it is for me.

I also have a bad habit of just letting an e-mail sit in my inbox if I'm not sure whether to say "yes" or "no". In fact, just a few days ago I replied to a months-old e-mail that was in this category. I'm probably not the only one who does this...

Another thing, specifically about musicians: It seems like there are way more of them than current demand can support. On another forum I frequent, the vast majority of posts in the classified section are musicians looking for someone to work with. Sometimes they can get very pushy...funny story from GDC last year: I was sitting in one of the lounge areas after sessions had ended for the day, and a guy comes up to me and strikes up a conversation. I show him one of my games, and he expresses interest in writing music for me. I wasn't particularly interested, but tried to politely play along while he gave me a demo CD, and had me awkwardly sit there listening to the entire thing on the spot. A few days after the conference, he sends me an e-mail that says something like "it was great meeting you. I'd like to help you out on the soundtrack for your next project. Please get in touch with me at your earliest convenience. Also, I don't have your phone number." Holy crap, dude, back off. I didn't reply to him, and I know he's an unusual case, but I have to admit that that experience biased me against cold introductions from musicians.

taking an hour to write a reply seems like a waste of time; even back when i did reply it never took me an hour, i just wrote something like 'i already have several musicians but i'll keep you in mind for future projects if i want some style they can't do'

Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 115
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic