Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411428 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 02:01:25 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralHuman Hugs
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 115
Print
Author Topic: Human Hugs  (Read 333861 times)
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2160 on: March 31, 2015, 02:08:54 PM »

Recently I've been having a series of panic attacks whenever it's late at night, because I start thinking about death. It utterly terrifies me, and there's no logic I can see to rationalize not being scared. Has anyone been through this, and does anyone have any advice? I don't want anyone I know to die, even though I've had pretty shaky relationships with people close to me.
I had a few phases like that. As you say it's a very rational fear after all and the only reason it usually doesn't bother us much is because it's useless.
All I can say is it'll pass eventually.
hugs I guess

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2161 on: March 31, 2015, 05:49:06 PM »

I'm not really talking about anyone in particular. A classmate of mine died about a month back and I started thinking about death and now I have a morbid fear of it constantly. I just don't want to die myself. I am completely and absolutely terrified about dying whenever I start thinking about it. So I get triggered by death in movies, and even laying down in the dark. The only solution I see is to ignore it, but then I'll have to face it eventually. Does anyone have words of advice on how to deal with my own mortality as an atheist?

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
JWK5
« Reply #2162 on: April 05, 2015, 10:28:58 AM »

I'm not really talking about anyone in particular. A classmate of mine died about a month back and I started thinking about death and now I have a morbid fear of it constantly. I just don't want to die myself. I am completely and absolutely terrified about dying whenever I start thinking about it. So I get triggered by death in movies, and even laying down in the dark. The only solution I see is to ignore it, but then I'll have to face it eventually. Does anyone have words of advice on how to deal with my own mortality as an atheist?
What is it specifically about death that scares you? Is it not knowing what happens afterwards? Is it the letting go? Is it the pain leading up to it? Narrow down your fears and get familiar with them to understand them better. Pain without meaning is just torture, it will drive you crazy. Fear is much like pain, it is a response to harmful stimuli. You have to give it meaning, it won't reduce the level of suffering but it will at least give you the tools to push through it.

I am claustrophobic so the thought of being buried alive, paralyzed, suffocated, trapped in a confined space (for example, having to do work under the house and getting stuck), etc. all cause an instant feeling of panic. It's something I force myself to think about often because what if, for example, one of my loved ones gets stuck in a confined space and I am the only one there to help them out? What would I do, would I just stand there on the sidelines watching helplessly while they suffered all because I was afraid? That is what I immediately start thinking about when the panic sets in. Not what would I do in a terrible situation, but what would I do for someone else in a terrible situation.

If it was just me in the situation (I was trapped), well then I am pretty much just fucked and I know it lol. However, like any crazy situation I've been thrown in alone I wouldn't know how to handle it until I was in it but once I was in it I'd figure out something, because that is what I do and so far it has worked (I am still here). That is the thing, you've evaded death for all these years so you're obviously pretty good at it. When push comes to shove just remember what you're here every day fighting to survive for and throw everything you've got out there for it and you'll be alright. You've got this far.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 10:35:56 AM by JWK5 » Logged
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2163 on: April 06, 2015, 03:22:22 AM »

Recently I've been having a series of panic attacks whenever it's late at night, because I start thinking about death.
I can see you. And I know it sounds rather simple but that is really how it is; the solution to that is simply not to think about it in the first place. So you won't trigger your horrific train of thoughts. What also helps is good weather and sunlight, might be difficult to get at night.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2164 on: April 06, 2015, 04:40:46 AM »

Does anyone have words of advice on how to deal with my own mortality as an atheist?
When you are dead, it's an orthogonal realm that deals for itself, just like a null-vector is orthogonal to any other vector. Use the realm of being alive to its purpose; when you go to cinema and start to reason what you will do afterwards instead of watching the movie then you will miss out the movie. So why did you go to cinema in the first place?

In short, life is about resolving those illusions which are bad for you, and instead shaping those which are good for you.
Illusions have a bad image, but image is again an illusion about an illusion;). Everyone is living illusions, it just happens some of them are true. It all makes sense once you realize it is a meta model of yourself. Ideally you just enjoy constant present as long as your plans and foresight allows.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2165 on: April 06, 2015, 07:13:13 AM »

Alright guys so I've been feeling much better recently. Thanks for all the helping words, some of it really did help.

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
Slader16
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #2166 on: April 06, 2015, 05:43:18 PM »

To be honest I think it would be hard dealing with the concept of death if you were an atheist, at least, that's just my opinion. I mean, as a Christian, my belief is that I would go to Heaven. So I guess the closest thing I could say that counts as advice is that, the time that you spend worrying about death is more time that you could of spent living. I hope that helps Smiley

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2167 on: April 07, 2015, 09:12:43 AM »

dumb, nobody goes anywhere until judgement day in christian cosmology
you can't just make things up

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #2168 on: April 07, 2015, 09:51:33 AM »

Hm, reminds me of something that happened to me quite often as a child because I would keep thinking about my great grandfather who died.

At that time I would just wait for it to pass and try to ignore it whenever it did happen. But now, I don't consider death that scary of a thing anymore, however weird that may sound. I kind of just know that it will happen anyways and that there is nothing to do about it. Plus, since I don't believe in any form of afterlife, I consider my life a precious and limited resource. My plans are to live happy, maybe find someone to marry and live with and do something fulfilling of my life. And as long as I can provide happiness for myself, I consider my life to be worth living.

Edit: And, of course, hug Smiley
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 10:50:10 AM by ProgramGamer » Logged

J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2169 on: April 07, 2015, 12:30:46 PM »

To be honest I think it would be hard dealing with the concept of death if you were an atheist
Keep in mind(of course only if you want to) that what you are actually saying is: It is hard to deal with the concept of death for an atheist from the perspective of a Christian. You actually have to know the other perspective to see what is true.

Canned Turkey
« Reply #2170 on: April 07, 2015, 12:34:57 PM »

Before you where born, you dead for a lot longer than you've been alive, and that wasn't too bad.

Just a thought.

Internet hugs going your way impmaster, glad you're doing better.
Slader16
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #2171 on: April 07, 2015, 12:49:47 PM »

To be honest I think it would be hard dealing with the concept of death if you were an atheist
Keep in mind(of course only if you want to) that what you are actually saying is: It is hard to deal with the concept of death for an atheist from the perspective of a Christian. You actually have to know the other perspective to see what is true.
Yeah, that basically sums up what I was trying to say, thanks Smiley

framk
Level 2

I don't know anything

View Profile
« Reply #2172 on: April 12, 2015, 07:13:33 PM »

There's no way this game is ready.

JWK5
« Reply #2173 on: April 13, 2015, 04:20:25 PM »

There's no way this game is ready.
What game? Why is not ready? What is it not ready for? What can you do to make it ready?
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2174 on: May 25, 2015, 09:54:49 AM »

I forgot about this thread after waking up in a drunk tank on saturday but anyway someone just called and said they found my wallet
the cash is apparently gone but it's still a lot less to worry about I guess

so yeah I could have used some hugs but I'm good now

Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2175 on: May 26, 2015, 08:43:06 AM »

I know I'm a little late and plugging books is not something I generally consider helpful or even nice, but this one has really helped me cope with mortality, among other things:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Book-Taboo-Against-Knowing/dp/0679723005

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #2176 on: May 26, 2015, 09:40:44 AM »

I know I'm a little late and plugging books is not something I generally consider helpful or even nice, but this one has really helped me cope with mortality, among other things:

Hm, this seems relevant. Will check it out.

JWK5
« Reply #2177 on: May 27, 2015, 04:06:43 PM »

Full audio readings of the book here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLC08230E51CF8718B
Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2178 on: May 27, 2015, 11:58:15 PM »

Full audio readings of the book here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLC08230E51CF8718B

Oh nice! So wish it was read by Watts himself tho, I adore his voice and speaking manner.

JWK5
« Reply #2179 on: June 13, 2015, 01:16:12 PM »

You're all awesome and I hope your day is chock full of happiness and pleasant surprises. That is all. Coffee
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 115
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic