Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 06:08:41 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingA Dance of Fire and Ice - tough-as-nails one-button rhythm game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: A Dance of Fire and Ice - tough-as-nails one-button rhythm game  (Read 1119 times)
fizzd
Level 0

View Profile
« on: October 04, 2014, 06:01:48 PM »

Hi guys,

>>PLAY<<
(also on Android for 99 cents)

Summary
A Dance of Fire and Ice is a one-button rhythm game (just like my other game Rhythm Doctor) originally made for the last Ludum Dare, in which the theme was 'Connected Worlds'. It did pretty okay, scoring #6 in audio! Since then I've been working on this for a month and a bit, and am proud to show you the first version I'm quite happy with. Let me know what you think!

BONUS: How To Make a Rhythm Game
debugchicken
Level 1

Out of the sky, into the dirt.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 05:19:23 PM »

Hmm nice game.

Made me remember of amplitude (ps2) and geometry dash (android/ios).

But I think I can spot the main fault of the game:

the gameplay is based on the percurssion of the music. Well, the percurssion dictates the rhythm, of course. But both of the games that I quoted use the harmonic instruments or voice to match the touches/button pushes/clicks instead of the percurssion, so the games gets much more variation for each part of the music, each riff is a new combination of gameplay.

In your game sometimes the rhythm string is so big I get lost and kinda annoyed by repeating the same movement, I guess this is no problem for drummers but it is for me. XD

o/
dimoniy
Level 0

Raging mage

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 09:17:50 PM »

I only got to 1_X, but here are my thoughts so far:
when stuff gets really fast visual feedback becomes completely irrelevant, you just have to click with the rhythm. Visual cues are useless because the background is flashing and the ball trace disappearing too slowly making the area where it's going to land very busy. The problem is that during the starting section of 1_X there the percussion does not provide the beat and the visual cues are useless making this infuriating  Lips Sealed
Other than that, I really like the game and the soundtrack is awesome! Keep it on! And maybe add difficulty levels for the rest of us which would let you make predetermined number mistakes. Hardest difficulty will allow no mistakes, normal would let you go with two and so on..
dtraposo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 05:37:09 PM »

I played up to 1-X. I like the idea, but I think it's a bit unforgiving, and too rooted in trial-and-error. One doesn't know how the breakbeats are going to go until you've heard the music already, and once you have it's too late and you've already died. As well, I don't think there's enough visual feedback for the breakbeats. Also, sometimes hitting the same button at the same rhythm for extended periods of time can get old. I do like the visuals and music though, they give the game a great feel that obviously rhythm games need. I definitely think there's a great game to be found here, but for me it needs a bit of a push.
RinseWashrepeat
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2014, 03:24:58 AM »

I think people suggesting repeated clicking is right. Just add a few things to try to break it up.

How about sections where you have to hold down the mouse button? Sections where you have to let go. Even something simple where the circles rotate the other way?

Great idea.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic