Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411485 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 04:21:19 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)TutorialsCocos2d-x with C++ tutorial series
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Cocos2d-x with C++ tutorial series  (Read 2800 times)
Serapth
Level 2

View Profile
« on: October 06, 2014, 09:28:22 AM »

Hello All,

Off and running with a new tutorial series, this one covers using the cross platform Cocos2d-x library with the C++ language.  Hopefully it will eventually cover all aspects of creating a game in Cocos2d-x, but for right now it consists of:

A Table of Contents

Installation, Creating a Project and Hello World

Basic Sprites, Positioning, Parenting and Coordinate Systems

Handling Mouse and Touch

The series is under very active development, so expect frequent new parts.  If you have gone through some of my previous tutorial series, you will find this one each tutorial part is a bit longer and more detailed.  Each tutorial part being about comparable to a book chapter, at least when the content merits it.  I also added a Table of Contents and Navigation links right from the start, to make it easier to go from part to part.

This tutorial is using the most current release of Cocos2d-x ( 3.3 as of writing ) and hopefully will stay mostly current with the language's development.  This is important as a lot of the material out there is for 2.x, which due to a great deal of refactoring ( mostly for the better ) is now rather out dated.  Cocos2d-x recently started moving from a Objective-C style to a C++ style, and it has had some serious ramifications.  Additionally in my own writing, I am trying to use modern C++ as best as possible, so you will need to use a reasonably current C++ compiler to follow along.  In examples I am using Visual C++ 2013 and Xcode 6 ( so, GCC or Clang ).

Of course, I spend a lot of time in various languages, which certainly means I make no claim on being a C++ master.  If you see me do something stupid, let me know and I will correct it.

Of course, any and all feedback is appreciated.  If there is something specific you want to see covered, please let me know.  If you see a mistake, or have a question about something I did, please also let me know.

I hope it proves useful.  Cheers.
Serapth
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 05:44:52 AM »

Added a new post, Handling Keyboard Events which covers well, handling keyboard events.  This included responding to keyboard events, using the soft keyboard for data entry in iOS and Android, and finally rolling your own solution for polling keyboard status, something currently not supported.

Table of contents page and navigation links updated as well.
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 11:06:33 AM »

Thanks for this, I'm about 5 years rusty on writing C++, in the times mostly doing C# and Actionscript, I've been hoping to learn some C++ and Lua.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Serapth
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 10:17:57 AM »

http://After some serious delay,[/img]] I have resumed this tutorial series with a tutorial on sound effect and music playback.

I am also in the process of creating video versions of all the prior tutorials for those that prefer video to text.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic