Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 07:55:22 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingSuper Skeleman - Almost Done Edition
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Super Skeleman - Almost Done Edition  (Read 4253 times)
Beanallean
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2014, 03:09:03 PM »

Double jump input wise? How would that work without it being just... a double jump?

Well... Visually, the animation is different, and mechanically, the backflip goes in the same direction as you came from (only, well, higher).
But anyway the suggestion was just so the backflip wasn't so inconvenient to use, but there are already some other suggestions here that might be better.

Backflip has been perfected now! I changed it so you just have to change direction and jump instead of the super awkward change direction twice in succession. I'm super happy :D

*EDIT* To clarify, I don't mean I changed this in the demo, I mean in the current version of the game I'm working on. The demo won't be changed again until I've finished all of the rooms. Then I'll give a pre-release thing. I think I've said that already though.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 03:15:22 PM by Beanallean » Logged
Siilk
Level 0

Techpriest software enginseer

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2014, 05:32:31 AM »

Backflip will still be inconvenient to use if implemented like that, I expect a lot of unexpected backflipping when player would try to reverse the movement direction and jump. If you absolutely adamant in having a special "high jump" move, make it's combo "up arrow + jump" instead. It feels more natural for higher jump and prevent accidental usage.

As for difficulty spike in a bat'n'spikes room, it feels artificial; it is frustrating rather than tough so I strongly suggest making it less demanding or moving it to a later part of the game.

Spiting thingies near the end of the demo are hart to distinguish from the background. It might be intentional but in my opinion if you can't tell for sure if that's an enemy or a part of the landscape not because the enemy is hidden or something but because it's sprite is indistinguishable from the props, it's a bad choice of art style for this enemy.

The rest of the game is solid. Controls are tight, art is functional and the chiptune music is rather neat. BTW, I discovered the ability to "sliderun" by repeatedly pressing jump while sliding and then pressing dash again. Was that intentional? You might want to take that into account when designing gameplay elements that will rely on player having some specific movement speed(timed escape sequences, enemies chasing player etc)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 05:43:21 AM by Siilk » Logged
Beanallean
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2014, 12:15:47 PM »

Backflip will still be inconvenient to use if implemented like that, I expect a lot of unexpected backflipping when player would try to reverse the movement direction and jump. If you absolutely adamant in having a special "high jump" move, make it's combo "up arrow + jump" instead. It feels more natural for higher jump and prevent accidental usage.

As for difficulty spike in a bat'n'spikes room, it feels artificial; it is frustrating rather than tough so I strongly suggest making it less demanding or moving it to a later part of the game.

Spiting thingies near the end of the demo are hart to distinguish from the background. It might be intentional but in my opinion if you can't tell for sure if that's an enemy or a part of the landscape not because the enemy is hidden or something but because it's sprite is indistinguishable from the props, it's a bad choice of art style for this enemy.

The rest of the game is solid. Controls are tight, art is functional and the chiptune music is rather neat. BTW, I discovered the ability to "sliderun" by repeatedly pressing jump while sliding and then pressing dash again. Was that intentional? You might want to take that into account when designing gameplay elements that will rely on player having some specific movement speed(timed escape sequences, enemies chasing player etc)

New backflip will be ok. The only places where it would really be done on accident is in the vertical shaft areas where you're jumping back and forth in succession. I'm redesigning those areas with the the new backflip in mind. If people still don't like it, I can always change it to jump + up.

Difficulty everywhere unfortunately feels a little artificial. I wonder sometimes if it would be better to redesign the challenges to basically one big jumping puzzle. That would be difficult to pull off though. It gets a bit more challenging and intelligent with the enemy placement and spikes later in the game. Everything is prime to change though.

I assume you mean they blend into the background when they're hidden right? They're supposed to blend in because they're supposed to surprise you. I can make their range bigger though, because I don't want them to be annoying.

Run-slide is a glitch and has been fixed.

Thanks for the feedback! :D
Siilk
Level 0

Techpriest software enginseer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2014, 05:01:30 PM »

New backflip will be ok. The only places where it would really be done on accident is in the vertical shaft areas where you're jumping back and forth in succession.
That's my concern, in a nutshell: if you know in advance that your key combination for an action can be triggered by accident in some situations, you might be better off reconsidering said combination right away. But I might be overreacting here, after all I haven't had any real issues with backflip during the demo playthrough. So I guess it's not that bad.

Difficulty everywhere unfortunately feels a little artificial. I wonder sometimes if it would be better to redesign the challenges to basically one big jumping puzzle. That would be difficult to pull off though. It gets a bit more challenging and intelligent with the enemy placement and spikes later in the game. Everything is prime to change though.
I think the problem with the difficulty is that it relies rather heavily on long dash jumps which are rather hard to pull off reliably. I suggest trying to change that to be a series of timed shorter jumps instead with patrolling bats or disappearing platforms/appearing spikes interfering with the player's acrobatics.

I assume you mean they blend into the background when they're hidden right? They're supposed to blend in because they're supposed to surprise you. I can make their range bigger though, because I don't want them to be annoying.
No, that wasn't the case. I saw those guys rather easily, I just had no idea it was an enemy and not an animated prop until the moment it spat at me. The activation range is sort of ok, but it should be crystal clear that it's an enemy when it pops up. How about adding some sort of common style(a colour or a pattern, maybe just making them filled with a solid colour) to all the enemies in the game(at least in their active phase) so that players will be able to instantly identify the danger on sight?

I also think you should take a look at Montezuma's revenge. It's gameplay is a bit similar in some aspects(emphasis on exploration, lack of weapons in a usual sense, crisp primitivistic graphics) so you might get some insights from this one.
Beanallean
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2014, 05:32:38 PM »

New backflip will be ok. The only places where it would really be done on accident is in the vertical shaft areas where you're jumping back and forth in succession.
That's my concern, in a nutshell: if you know in advance that your key combination for an action can be triggered by accident in some situations, you might be better off reconsidering said combination right away. But I might be overreacting here, after all I haven't had any real issues with backflip during the demo playthrough. So I guess it's not that bad.

I think the problem with the difficulty is that it relies rather heavily on long dash jumps which are rather hard to pull off reliably. I suggest trying to change that to be a series of timed shorter jumps instead with patrolling bats or disappearing platforms/appearing spikes interfering with the player's acrobatics.

No, that wasn't the case. I saw those guys rather easily, I just had no idea it was an enemy and not an animated prop until the moment it spat at me. The activation range is sort of ok, but it should be crystal clear that it's an enemy when it pops up. How about adding some sort of common style(a colour or a pattern, maybe just making them filled with a solid colour) to all the enemies in the game(at least in their active phase) so that players will be able to instantly identify the danger on sight?

I also think you should take a look at Montezuma's revenge. It's gameplay is a bit similar in some aspects(emphasis on exploration, lack of weapons in a usual sense, crisp primitivistic graphics) so you might get some insights from this one.

Some great advice here. To not ramble I'll just say I agree with everything and will experiment. Smiley

Also thank you for reminding me about Montezuma's Revenge. Someone else told me about that and I forgot to look into it. I'll look at some youtube playthroughs and take mental notes.
Boder
Level 0

Player One

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2014, 05:03:12 PM »

I'm stuck on the "red +", does anyone have hints? I see the possible opening in the floor to the far right. Do I have to open that first and how? Above it is the "red o".
Beanallean
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2014, 05:24:16 PM »

I'm stuck on the "red +", does anyone have hints? I see the possible opening in the floor to the far right. Do I have to open that first and how? Above it is the "red o".

Your monitor may be different but for me there isn't anything red in the game. However there is an orange area, which sounds like what you're describing. I should have probably clarified this before but there are areas currently inaccessible because it's only a playtesting demo. Sorry! D:

When the full thing is done, those areas will be accessible.
Boder
Level 0

Player One

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2014, 02:56:03 PM »

I've looped around to the beginning and there is still that '+' in the forth screenshot in the bottom corner. Is that unreachable?
Beanallean
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2014, 07:30:55 PM »

I've looped around to the beginning and there is still that '+' in the forth screenshot in the bottom corner. Is that unreachable?

Yes. You shouldn't need it though.
Tcrakman
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2014, 02:04:56 PM »

The game movements feel very good!

Played through all, enjoyed most of it.
The only thing that caused me a bit of a trouble was the triple jump ability since it took me a while to understand it. The instructions gave me the impresion that i needed to press < (or >) + Z  three times in order to keep jumping until reaching the last jump (sort of like double jumping from air).
That Didn´t worked so i tried different things until a higher second jump from the ground gave me a hint of what i needed to do.
Jump three times from the ground just like Mario.

It has been said before that the room you have to use the triple jump, in many cases, is very small so, do you think it will affect the game too much if you only have to press z in order to trigger the jumps? that way you can triple jump while not having to move at all.

Lastly, just jurious, will there be a wall sliding-jumping mechanic? I think it could be fun too!

Beanallean
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2014, 06:12:47 PM »

The game movements feel very good!

Played through all, enjoyed most of it.
The only thing that caused me a bit of a trouble was the triple jump ability since it took me a while to understand it. The instructions gave me the impresion that i needed to press < (or >) + Z  three times in order to keep jumping until reaching the last jump (sort of like double jumping from air).
That Didn´t worked so i tried different things until a higher second jump from the ground gave me a hint of what i needed to do.
Jump three times from the ground just like Mario.

It has been said before that the room you have to use the triple jump, in many cases, is very small so, do you think it will affect the game too much if you only have to press z in order to trigger the jumps? that way you can triple jump while not having to move at all.

Lastly, just jurious, will there be a wall sliding-jumping mechanic? I think it could be fun too!

A lot of this is being taken into consideration. A lot has changed since this demo and hopefully the problem of not understanding the powerups won't come up when I release the full thing.

Wall slide is going to be a thing... sort of. I Don't want to spoil it.

Thanks for your input! Smiley
valrus
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2014, 11:57:12 PM »

I'm not sure I enjoy having 3d Mario's moveset in the kind of tight, one-hit-kill "punishment" platformer mode of YHTWTG/VVVVVV/MNWS/etc.  I think I'd rather bound around outside or in big rooms, somewhere where there are challenges made for a high-inertia leaping & bounding moveset, rather than for a low-inertia placement & evasion moveset.
Beanallean
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2014, 03:53:34 AM »

I'm not sure I enjoy having 3d Mario's moveset in the kind of tight, one-hit-kill "punishment" platformer mode of YHTWTG/VVVVVV/MNWS/etc.  I think I'd rather bound around outside or in big rooms, somewhere where there are challenges made for a high-inertia leaping & bounding moveset, rather than for a low-inertia placement & evasion moveset.

I know where you're coming from, but I don't want to just make 2D Mario 64 or 2D Mario Sunshine. I want people to be slightly uncomfortable playing the game. It's sort of an experiment, but I think it's going to work out.
Beanallean
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2014, 05:52:45 PM »

The game is pretty much complete and I'd love to see some feedback on the areas and mechanics! A lot has changed, so make sure to check the new description.

Thanks!
Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2014, 08:51:12 PM »

I'm going to make a lot of comments here, but don't let that discourage you. Most of the issues are minor and for the most part I like this game.

The lack of a "getting up" animation at the very beginning feels a bit weird, but I guess it's not too bad.

I notice you still use keyboard_check_direct(). In that case, maybe freeze the game when it's not in focus (it's a setting in the Game Maker 8 game options).

I would really, really prefer to be able to skip dialogue. It stays on screen at least four or five times longer than it needs to. It was also strange that it stored up my inputs while the dialogue box was open, so I jumped as soon as it closed. It also stores up inputs when I die, which sometimes causes issues as well.

Nice job making the world move to the beat of the music. It's kind of a cool effect even if it's weird for chains to be dancing. (The turquoise area didn't go with the beat as well, though, which was a bit disappointing.)

I'm not sure if I mentioned this before, but the checkpoints should really have a more noticeable sound effect associated with them. I hear it fine in the orange area, but not in the starting area where it's most important to notice them (while the player is learning).

...I just reached a save point. Huh? I was under the impression that checkpoints saved my progress, so I would've been pretty annoyed if I'd quit and returned to find that they don't. It's very strange to see a game with both non-saving checkpoints and savepoints, especially where the savepoints aren't actually at the beginnings of areas.

I actually find the backflip much harder to reliably pull off than I did before. I fell down that purple fish area at least four or five times because the backflip just didn't occur. I'm not entirely sure why. On the flip side, I keep doing it accidentally because there are a lot of places where I have to turn around and then jump. It's gotten me killed a bunch of times.

My counter at the top of the HUD was at 1 after I used my first key and went to zero a few screens later (or maybe when I died). What does it mean, if it's not the number of keys I have or the number of keys I've used?

Nice job using the frog, Super Metroid-style. One thing, though. When I got the triple-jump, I used it on my next jump. Maybe that means I had already jumped twice before getting it, but if you're counting jumps, maybe that counter should be reset when you get the powerup.

Sometimes checkpoints respawn me facing the wrong direction. This was most noticeable at the yellow "stairway" area shortly after getting the triple jump. Every time I spawned and tried to jump right, I'd do a flip and throw off my triple jump completely.

I didn't really like that I could go down long paths of multiple rooms only to find that I didn't have what was needed and have to go all the way back.

Having to stop in order to activate save points is a bit weird. I almost missed one because I just ran past it and then wondered if it had worked or not.

I have no idea how the walljump works and there was no explanation or demonstration. The second jump works fine pretty much every time, but the first works for me about 10% of the time. I gave up right after getting it. It was driving me crazy. I got out of that room, but couldn't get through the next one.

Apart from the control issues, I really, really like this game. It's too bad almost every single one of my deaths felt unfair because they were all caused by the character not doing what I wanted him to.

My Old Game: We Want YOU - Join the Fight for Freedom

Twitter - Mostly comments on games, old and new.
Beanallean
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2014, 10:32:45 AM »

I'm going to make a lot of comments here, but don't let that discourage you. Most of the issues are minor and for the most part I like this game.

The lack of a "getting up" animation at the very beginning feels a bit weird, but I guess it's not too bad.

I notice you still use keyboard_check_direct(). In that case, maybe freeze the game when it's not in focus (it's a setting in the Game Maker 8 game options).

I would really, really prefer to be able to skip dialogue. It stays on screen at least four or five times longer than it needs to. It was also strange that it stored up my inputs while the dialogue box was open, so I jumped as soon as it closed. It also stores up inputs when I die, which sometimes causes issues as well.

Nice job making the world move to the beat of the music. It's kind of a cool effect even if it's weird for chains to be dancing. (The turquoise area didn't go with the beat as well, though, which was a bit disappointing.)

I'm not sure if I mentioned this before, but the checkpoints should really have a more noticeable sound effect associated with them. I hear it fine in the orange area, but not in the starting area where it's most important to notice them (while the player is learning).

...I just reached a save point. Huh? I was under the impression that checkpoints saved my progress, so I would've been pretty annoyed if I'd quit and returned to find that they don't. It's very strange to see a game with both non-saving checkpoints and savepoints, especially where the savepoints aren't actually at the beginnings of areas.

I actually find the backflip much harder to reliably pull off than I did before. I fell down that purple fish area at least four or five times because the backflip just didn't occur. I'm not entirely sure why. On the flip side, I keep doing it accidentally because there are a lot of places where I have to turn around and then jump. It's gotten me killed a bunch of times.

My counter at the top of the HUD was at 1 after I used my first key and went to zero a few screens later (or maybe when I died). What does it mean, if it's not the number of keys I have or the number of keys I've used?

Nice job using the frog, Super Metroid-style. One thing, though. When I got the triple-jump, I used it on my next jump. Maybe that means I had already jumped twice before getting it, but if you're counting jumps, maybe that counter should be reset when you get the powerup.

Sometimes checkpoints respawn me facing the wrong direction. This was most noticeable at the yellow "stairway" area shortly after getting the triple jump. Every time I spawned and tried to jump right, I'd do a flip and throw off my triple jump completely.

I didn't really like that I could go down long paths of multiple rooms only to find that I didn't have what was needed and have to go all the way back.

Having to stop in order to activate save points is a bit weird. I almost missed one because I just ran past it and then wondered if it had worked or not.

I have no idea how the walljump works and there was no explanation or demonstration. The second jump works fine pretty much every time, but the first works for me about 10% of the time. I gave up right after getting it. It was driving me crazy. I got out of that room, but couldn't get through the next one.

Apart from the control issues, I really, really like this game. It's too bad almost every single one of my deaths felt unfair because they were all caused by the character not doing what I wanted him to.

Sorry! I think you told me not to use direct last time and I just forgot, I fixed it the second I read this.

The dialogue uses sleep() which is why it locks everything during the dialogue. It's sort of a lazy way of doing things though, so I might change it to just freeze the player in place and allow skipping.

The reason why there are savepoints separate from checkpoints is because it would lag the game if you were saving that frequently. I can try it I guess, but it might not work out well. If it works without too much lag then I'll remove the other savepoints.

So the backflip has been bothering me like hell. It has a lot of trouble in those upward shaft areas and it's not that the backflip isn't working it's that it's awkward to execute in those areas. Example: When you jump up the shaft back and forth you'll jump through the platform and probably turn around when you hit the wall BEFORE you hit the ground. The backflip window activates any time you change direction. So if you turn around just above the platform you'll miss the window by the time you try jumping. The only way to fix this from a code perspective is to also make it activate when you touch the ground and keep moving, but that would obviously be broken. The way I plan on fixing it is to not require backflip in vertical shaft areas.

I've never noticed that problem with the counter. It is counting keys so I don't know what would be doing that. I'll look into it.

I'll make it so checkpoints save your direction when you pass them.

The only really bad dead end (and what I assume you're referring to) is when you go right instead of left when you first go to the orange area. I'll find a better way to block that off, because that is pretty annoying.

I'll change it to the up key if I keep savepoints. Don't know why I haven't already done that.

The walljump was an experiment of sort. It's actually never required after that point (which I did to prevent unnecessary backtracking) and was something I just added recently. It was originally going to be a walljump you start with but are never told you have it, which allows for some cool exploitation for sequence breaking. I'm changing it back now and changing the room where you get it to just have a key.

Also, which runes did you get before you quit? There's only one in each area except the green area.

Thanks for the feedback!
Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2014, 11:25:32 AM »

The reason why there are savepoints separate from checkpoints is because it would lag the game if you were saving that frequently. I can try it I guess, but it might not work out well. If it works without too much lag then I'll remove the other savepoints.

Are you using Game Maker's built-in save feature? If so, maybe that's overkill since there are only a few variables that have to be saved. I'm not sure, but I'm thinking that maybe creating the file yourself might speed up saving quite a bit.

It might also make sense to remove some of the checkpoints later in the game. For example, at a point where players should be very good at the jump+dive maneuver, there's no reason to have a checkpoint before and after a pit of spikes. (I think that was in the yellow area, but I could be wrong.) In the orange area, there are a lot of places where you hit a checkpoint, leave the screen and hit another checkpoint right away without any dangers in between.

I'm also thinking that maybe the reason save points bugged me is that they are placed in the same way as the checkpoints. If save points had their own rooms, or at least a little alcove in the wall or something, that might make them feel more special/important.

The way I plan on fixing it is to not require backflip in vertical shaft areas.

I think that's a good partial fix (I was going to suggest it, but apparently I forgot).  

The only really bad dead end (and what I assume you're referring to) is when you go right instead of left when you first go to the orange area. I'll find a better way to block that off, because that is pretty annoying.

It was in the yellow area, I believe. I had to do a triple jump up some steps with spikes in between, then I dropped down, used a key and went over into the next room only to find what I'm guessing is a door that's unlocked by getting all the runes or something. In a way, I guess it makes sense to find that sort of thing early but if that is what it was, I feel like it should be on the main path not in a dead-end somewhere.

Also, which runes did you get before you quit? There's only one in each area except the green area.

I only got one rune during that whole time. I don't remember which section it was in, but it gave me a dot at the bottom left of the HUD element. I just got a second rune. It seemed like the runes were really spread out, but apparently I just had to backtrack instead of always trying to explore the new areas. I guess I avoided backtracking because I wasn't sure how many abilities there were, so I didn't want to go back to old areas to find out it was for no reason.

Two more comments: The purple fish in the area near the turquoise section seem placed in such a way that it's usually impossible to get by. Their timing is just really frustrating.

It's also annoying to get into situations where you can't leave without dying and respawning. I think it was the orange rune that was like that. In a game like this, I try to get through while dying as few times as possible, but some places seem like they are set up to require death or at least to make it more likely (in the case of certain checkpoint placements that get me killed because my character jumps after respawning).

Anyway, I've gotten three runes now. I'll probably finish today.

Edit: Or not... I really, really hate the turquoise area. I've had to backtrack once already because I hit a door that had to be opened back in alcoves connected to where I just was. Now I just hit a second door that I had almost no way of knowing was there. It's a pretty long way to backtrack and I have no desire to do it again so soon...but I also can't save the progress I've made recently...
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 11:38:57 AM by Quicksand-S » Logged

Beanallean
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2014, 12:02:36 PM »

Are you using Game Maker's built-in save feature? If so, maybe that's overkill since there are only a few variables that have to be saved. I'm not sure, but I'm thinking that maybe creating the file yourself might speed up saving quite a bit.

It might also make sense to remove some of the checkpoints later in the game. For example, at a point where players should be very good at the jump+dive maneuver, there's no reason to have a checkpoint before and after a pit of spikes. (I think that was in the yellow area, but I could be wrong.) In the orange area, there are a lot of places where you hit a checkpoint, leave the screen and hit another checkpoint right away without any dangers in between.

I'm also thinking that maybe the reason save points bugged me is that they are placed in the same way as the checkpoints. If save points had their own rooms, or at least a little alcove in the wall or something, that might make them feel more special/important.

The way I plan on fixing it is to not require backflip in vertical shaft areas.

I think that's a good partial fix (I was going to suggest it, but apparently I forgot).  

It was in the yellow area, I believe. I had to do a triple jump up some steps with spikes in between, then I dropped down, used a key and went over into the next room only to find what I'm guessing is a door that's unlocked by getting all the runes or something. In a way, I guess it makes sense to find that sort of thing early but if that is what it was, I feel like it should be on the main path not in a dead-end somewhere.

I only got one rune during that whole time. I don't remember which section it was in, but it gave me a dot at the bottom left of the HUD element. I just got a second rune. It seemed like the runes were really spread out, but apparently I just had to backtrack instead of always trying to explore the new areas. I guess I avoided backtracking because I wasn't sure how many abilities there were, so I didn't want to go back to old areas to find out it was for no reason.

Two more comments: The purple fish in the area near the turquoise section seem placed in such a way that it's usually impossible to get by. Their timing is just really frustrating.

It's also annoying to get into situations where you can't leave without dying and respawning. I think it was the orange rune that was like that. In a game like this, I try to get through while dying as few times as possible, but some places seem like they are set up to require death or at least to make it more likely (in the case of certain checkpoint placements that get me killed because my character jumps after respawning).

Anyway, I've gotten three runes now. I'll probably finish today.

Edit: Or not... I really, really hate the turquoise area. I've had to backtrack once already because I hit a door that had to be opened back in alcoves connected to where I just was. Now I just hit a second door that I had almost no way of knowing was there. It's a pretty long way to backtrack and I have no desire to do it again so soon...but I also can't save the progress I've made recently...

Yeah I can make that fish section easier.

I get what you're saying about the death requirement thing but it's meant to be more of a convenience. If there was a death counter and those instances were more frequent, I'd change it.

Ironically, the turquoise rune was made in that way to prevent annoying backtracking. I wanted to make it so it required 3 runes to get to and if I put them all in a row and you only had 2 runes it would really suck if you went all that way with no payout. One thing I just thought of to prevent backtracking is save warping. If I moved the save to the far right of the turquoise area near the entrance to the 'rune tunnel' it would help a lot. Example: You go through there to find the door, warp back to the save and go unlock all of the doors, then warp back to the save again and continue to the rune.

If I did that I'd also move the saves around to make things more convenient for warps.
Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2014, 12:05:48 PM »

Save warps sound good to me.

debugchicken
Level 1

Out of the sky, into the dirt.

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2014, 04:38:14 PM »

Played Again, the game is much better now.

But when the triple jump comes in, things get a bit messy. I do backflips when I don't want, and triple jump is almost impossible to execute, it needs more time to catch input on ground. I would suggest if I keep the jump button pressed the player would then keep jumping, so it would be easier.

Also I thought that octopus that teaches triple jump would kill me haha.
(I remember metroid, when a couple of creatures teach wall jump).
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic