Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411414 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 16, 2024, 09:48:19 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingSuper Skeleman - Almost Done Edition
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Super Skeleman - Almost Done Edition  (Read 4260 times)
Beanallean
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2014, 06:30:53 PM »

Played Again, the game is much better now.

But when the triple jump comes in, things get a bit messy. I do backflips when I don't want, and triple jump is almost impossible to execute, it needs more time to catch input on ground. I would suggest if I keep the jump button pressed the player would then keep jumping, so it would be easier.

Also I thought that octopus that teaches triple jump would kill me haha.
(I remember metroid, when a couple of creatures teach wall jump).

Almost impossible? The timing is already pretty generous. If it was any more generous you'd be doing triple jumps on accident too (Working on making backflips non-accidental, but the happy-medium is super tough to get). Hold-to-jump could fix the problem, but I don't really like that in games. Jumps feel less intentional.
debugchicken
Level 1

Out of the sky, into the dirt.

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2014, 06:46:36 PM »

Played Again, the game is much better now.

But when the triple jump comes in, things get a bit messy. I do backflips when I don't want, and triple jump is almost impossible to execute, it needs more time to catch input on ground. I would suggest if I keep the jump button pressed the player would then keep jumping, so it would be easier.

Also I thought that octopus that teaches triple jump would kill me haha.
(I remember metroid, when a couple of creatures teach wall jump).

Almost impossible? The timing is already pretty generous. If it was any more generous you'd be doing triple jumps on accident too (Working on making backflips non-accidental, but the happy-medium is super tough to get). Hold-to-jump could fix the problem, but I don't really like that in games. Jumps feel less intentional.

Haha i'm not kidding, I cant execute it easily. Lets see if anyone else has the same problem. Well I do think holding to do the triple jump would solve the problem.
Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2014, 08:35:47 PM »

I normally find the triple-jump really easy to pull off, except sometimes near ledges where the last jump doesn't always fire for some reason. I mean, I don't even jump at all when that happens and I end up just falling into spikes or something even though I smashed my jump key audibly while my character was on the ground. That only happened in one spot, though (turquoise area).

The only thing that really gets in the way of the triple jump for me most of the time is...can you guess? The backflip. I'm tempted to suggest that a backflip should count as a first and second jump because it throws off the timing so much, but that would probably break too many things.

Hold-to-jump sounds terrible to me, for the reason you mentioned.

My Old Game: We Want YOU - Join the Fight for Freedom

Twitter - Mostly comments on games, old and new.
Beanallean
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2014, 03:45:38 AM »

I might just have to stop changing the triple jump and backflip for the most part. I think I'm at the point where any changes I make to fix a problem will only create another. The general consensus seems to be that the game is pretty fun. So even though they aren't perfect,  does the backflip or triple jump prevent the game from being enjoyable?
debugchicken
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2014, 10:21:46 AM »

I normally find the triple-jump really easy to pull off, except sometimes near ledges where the last jump doesn't always fire for some reason. I mean, I don't even jump at all when that happens and I end up just falling into spikes or something even though I smashed my jump key audibly while my character was on the ground. That only happened in one spot, though (turquoise area).

The only thing that really gets in the way of the triple jump for me most of the time is...can you guess? The backflip. I'm tempted to suggest that a backflip should count as a first and second jump because it throws off the timing so much, but that would probably break too many things.

Maybe that's because you/I are/am pressing the button before the character hits the ground. I mean, visually he hits, but for the physics system it doesnt. I always add a 50-100ms of input ghost for this, so when the character hits the ground, the input still counts.

I might just have to stop changing the triple jump and backflip for the most part. I think I'm at the point where any changes I make to fix a problem will only create another.

I sometimes have this feeling too. Well its always your choice.
Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2014, 11:37:32 AM »

So even though they aren't perfect,  does the backflip or triple jump prevent the game from being enjoyable?

Sometimes. The backflip issues brought down everything else. The reason I didn't want to backtrack in the turquoise area? The long backflip-requiring sections, particularly through areas with shooting enemies. It's something that, if I wasn't testing the game for you, may have just caused me to stop playing and go on to something less frustrating.

My Old Game: We Want YOU - Join the Fight for Freedom

Twitter - Mostly comments on games, old and new.
Beanallean
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: October 30, 2014, 02:22:38 PM »

So even though they aren't perfect,  does the backflip or triple jump prevent the game from being enjoyable?

Sometimes. The backflip issues brought down everything else. The reason I didn't want to backtrack in the turquoise area? The long backflip-requiring sections, particularly through areas with shooting enemies. It's something that, if I wasn't testing the game for you, may have just caused me to stop playing and go on to something less frustrating.

I'll try and make backflip less necessary like the dive, which sort of became a replacement for a sprint (which I like).

Maybe that's because you/I are/am pressing the button before the character hits the ground. I mean, visually he hits, but for the physics system it doesnt. I always add a 50-100ms of input ghost for this, so when the character hits the ground, the input still counts.

I might just have to stop changing the triple jump and backflip for the most part. I think I'm at the point where any changes I make to fix a problem will only create another.

I sometimes have this feeling too. Well its always your choice.

The triple jump window is checked with the collision system, which is checked before jumping, so you can jump at the exact moment you hit the ground and have it still count. I think your problem comes from confusion with the solid black outline objects have.

There may also be very rare instances where the triple jump wouldn't go off for whatever reason but your issue sounds pretty consistent, so it wouldn't be that. With the exception of these rare occasions that I could never pinpoint, the backflip and triple jump not working is because of "player error." I put that in parenthesis because it's usually due to level design that doesn't synergize well with the mechanic (which I'm fixing). It's like the issue platformers with double jump face where a player might run off a ledge and jump but "not have a double jump" because they lost it when they ran off the edge. It's tough to fix without adding crazy exploits or making it too easy to do on accident.

So along with the other stuff I need to add I'm just going to change the level design itself, not the physics/activation/whatever code. The next update will probably just be the finished game.
debugchicken
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 30, 2014, 03:39:18 PM »

I don't want to argue about the game anymore, I see you made up your mind and thats fine, the game is still fun indeed.

so you can jump at the exact moment you hit the ground and have it still count.

But I wanted you to know there is no such thing as "exact moment". The input has delay, the render has delay, the eye has delay, that why it is needed to make a lot of milliseconds adjustments everywhere if you want the controls to feel good.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic