Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 09:08:09 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Tutorials[REQ]Making and maintaining a local dev scene?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: [REQ]Making and maintaining a local dev scene?  (Read 904 times)
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« on: October 06, 2014, 08:36:27 PM »

It turns out a lot of my friends are interested in... at least aspects of game development... and give or take a headquarters to operate from, I'd like to put together a jam group. Thing is, we're all learners, I'm still mid-level at best (and have yet to even 100% a "thing of my very own")... and most of them are just eager beavers a little further down the line than I am.

So...

Those of you that make meetups/jams; what is the usual flow of events? And how do I aim them to the stuff they need, that I don't really know about yet?

knifeySpoonie
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 01:45:29 AM »

Ok... So I can't give you a full run down as I've never started a club from scratch, but I have helped friends run it, or been an advocat for it and helped keep it in the public eye... soooo heres a few things that are important..

1... Make it fun, if your old enough make it social/beers/pizza type event to begin with..

2. Add the Jams in after once a group is established who are going to come and participate, if people won't come for beers and pizza, they might be flakey for weekend Jams etc...

3. Be really active and treat it like a proper social club, the more active you are organising things, the more active the community will become as they see the effort your making.

4. keep it interesting, you say your learning, so find tutorials and post monthly competitions to keep people competetive and engaged..

5. Don't be dissilussioned if its hard work and you don't get much appreciation to begin with, event organising is a difficult thing to do.

Founder and Creative Director |  KnifeySpoonie Games  |  Tpickarddev.com | @TPickardDev
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic