Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 02:44:13 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessHow much should I expect to pay for custom 3D spaceship models?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: How much should I expect to pay for custom 3D spaceship models?  (Read 880 times)
GroZZleR
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: October 06, 2014, 10:58:04 PM »

I've only worked with 2D artists in the past and I'm trying to find some rough numbers for 3D models / artists.  The problem is that most of the figures revolve around humanoid models with animations and rigging.  Removing the organic nature of the model and the necessity for it to be rigged and animated would lead me to believe that the cost could be significantly reduced.

Anyone have input on the matter?  I'm not ready to commission an artist just yet, but I'd like to be prepared with a reasonable budget for when I reach that point.

Thanks.

(Not sure if this belongs here or on Art, my apologies)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 11:03:33 PM by GroZZleR » Logged

knifeySpoonie
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 11:41:41 PM »

Surely it all depends on your full spec... I mean one human with one set of clothes, rigged and animated etc... Or a super battleship with working animated parts all over the ship, internal sections you can walk around etc...

Or do you mean an external model only? and small like a fighter plane size thing.. Even then there could be a lot of work making somthing awesome... Not to mention the work of designing the ship, multiple iterations etc... Most character modelers I work with these days have shit loads of assets ready and kit bash them together fast before doing anything custom, their workflows can be extremely fast, custom hard surface can easily take as long as character art with the way pipelines have been improving on the character/organic side of things.

Best sugestion find some artists who are interested and ask for quotes based off your specs... I mean you might find some varying prices, or you might find that everyones like 5 days of work at $XXX a day etc..

Founder and Creative Director |  KnifeySpoonie Games  |  Tpickarddev.com | @TPickardDev
joe_eyemobi
Level 3

Fledgling Indie Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 12:17:07 PM »

If costs are an issue, as it is usually for us indies, go for premade assets.

E.g. something like the Unity Asset Store has tons of awesome spacehips for affordable prices:
https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/category/48/page/1/sortby/popularity

A chap called Bulldog makes some really impressive ones.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic