Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411502 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 03:06:32 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Professional Languages and Libraries
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Professional Languages and Libraries  (Read 2162 times)
Layl
Level 3

professional jerkface

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2014, 05:22:50 AM »

I agree with the statement that C++ is great when your goal is to use C++.
Tribune
Level 0

Burn, heretics!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2014, 10:17:16 PM »

I did find Project Euler, which is really good, so I guess I'll take all of your advice and build up my skills methodically. Baby steps.
hammeron-art
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2014, 02:49:57 PM »

People always rely on languages and libraries when the most important skill a game programmer need to have is solid fundamentals in math, methodology, troubleshooting, algorithms and optimization.
So how would I be able to learn that? Do I really have to go to Uni and take a Mathematics course? I suppose there's always the internet, but something tells me that it's not going to be sufficient.

Regarding mathematics, if you already know enough of some language and/or game engine you can start be setting the right mindset with talks like that:

And then apply some concepts with channels like that: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLW3Zl3wyJwWOpdhYedlD-yCB7WQoHf-My
Also books about math for developers.

Do not go memorizing formulas or only thinking about numerical results.
Use programming to apply mathematical concepts and increase your possibilities.

Chromanoid
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2014, 04:38:23 PM »

When you want to become a AAA console game programmer in a big company you should learn C++ and GPU programming. Get into the demoscene or so. I think this

gives you a nice impression in what you are getting into when striving for the C++ expert route.

When you want to make games on your own use Unity etc. whatever you are comfortable with. Don't overthink, start making games already...
This is a great article by Lars Doucet on whats about following your dream to become an independent game developer: Follow Your Dreams!...Or Maybe Don't.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 04:49:43 PM by Chromanoid » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic