Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411504 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 05:21:38 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTiny Empire - a pixel art puzzle/artillery game (August 27th!)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Tiny Empire - a pixel art puzzle/artillery game (August 27th!)  (Read 5194 times)
Gabriel Naro
Level 0

View Profile
« on: October 07, 2014, 10:34:09 AM »

RELEASE DATE: August 27th!

Hello fellow devs! My name is Gabriel Naro and I work on the sound at a small indie studio called Mother Gaia, based in Brazil! Its been almost a year developing this game and we have just finished all the polishing! In other words: Tiny Empire is READY TO BE RELEASED!!!

TRAILER

- WHAT IS THE GAME?

A physics puzzle/artillery game featuring 80+ carefully designed levels, gorgeous pixel art and an epic soundtrack to accompany you with your orc exploding duties! The game started as a free-to-play game, but this has changed because we noticed that we suck at crafting retention and user acquisition loops and campaigns: we'd prefer to focus on the game mechanics and polishment instead.
Since we decided to follow this philosophy the final phase of dev went thru quicker and smother, and our souls are lighter!

The game will be priced at U$2.99. No InApp purchases inside.

Interested? Follow our TWITTER, like us on FACEBOOK, of if you don't do social networks, send me and E-MAIL!

We also love feedback!

Cheers!  Toast Right
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 11:56:45 AM by narolol » Logged
Gabriel Naro
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 01:41:31 PM »

Developers, developers, developers! Hi!

Today I'll elaborate a little more on our only best feature: firing the cannon!

As said on the original post, you touch and drag do aim, and release to shoot. Simple and intuitive! To message this we need a matching and resposive animations, this is how the canon rotates:

YEAH THEY SPINNIN'

We also have 3 different bullet types. They vary on explosion radius, which will be our main level design tool, using those distances to populate each level with enemies/allies.

Bullet Power 1

Bullet Power 2

Bullet Power 3

So, what do you think? Voice your opinion below (:

Cheers!  Toast Right

BONUS GIF!
RecidivistSW
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 02:47:41 PM »

Looks good so far!

Gabriel Naro
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 05:44:05 PM »

Looks good so far!

Thanks! Glad you like it (:
Gabriel Naro
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 04:00:18 AM »

As usual with physics puzzle games, the player can perform excellent or poorly and still complete the stage. To telegraph how good the player did a 3-star system is often used, 1 star meaning "meh,ok" and 3 stars being the best score. We have chosen to go with this star system, and here are the animations which will follow my last post bonus gif:

Hope you like it! (:

Cheers!  Toast Right
Fenrir
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2014, 04:19:13 AM »

Looks good!
I may have missed it, but what are you supposed to destroy with the catapult?

Gabriel Naro
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2014, 08:32:04 AM »

Looks good!
I may have missed it, but what are you supposed to destroy with the catapult?

Thank you!
You didn't miss anything! In the future there will be two "classes" of objects on the map: enemies and allies. The game will consist in shooting enemies while not hurting any of the allies, and the stars will be awarded accordingly. I'll post them once they start looking as finished! :D
Gabriel Naro
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2014, 10:23:14 AM »

Hello again, update time!

This time i'm here to show how our world map is coming together! When I said the levels would be like Mario 64 star-doors, this is what we envisioned. It may be more like Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed, if you're familiar with that game. It basically works like this: each stage can award you 1, 2 or 3 stars, and they will all go to your "star wallet". Further on the game you will be required to have at least X stars to go beyond that certian point. This will be used to make sure the players are doing well enough, and not overwhelm them with new game elements too soon!

How the map looks so far! (click for full size image)

The banner animations previously shown, now with context!

World Map Screen

Voice your opinion below, what do you think about it so far?

Cheers!  Toast Right
Gabriel Naro
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2014, 03:25:05 AM »

For anyone wondering, this is the sprite atlas we use on the World Map to keep everything small! Weaker smartphones rejoice!

Gabriel Naro
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2014, 02:00:07 PM »

Hey there!

As posted before, the game will have 3 different bullet strenghts. This strenght will change the explosion radius, whih will be used to design levels further on. The number of possible shots are also limited, represented by the number on the left. Here is how the bullet selector looks like:

THEM BULLETS!

We also implemented temporarly a little overlay that show us the bomb radius in the explosion, so we could have a visual clue of what is happening. From weakest to strongest, here is the explosions:

So, what do you think?

Cheers!  Toast Right
bigosaur
Level 1

Bigosaur.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2014, 02:23:31 PM »

Looks cool so far. But what will the player destroy?
Gabriel Naro
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2014, 04:03:56 PM »

Looks cool so far. But what will the player destroy?

Orcs!
Code:
                        _,.---''```````'-.
                    ,-'`                  `-._
                 ,-`                   __,-``,\
                /             _       /,'  ,|/ \
              ,'         ,''-<_`'.    |  ,' |   \
             /          / _    `  `.  | / \ |\  |
             |         (  |`'-,---, `'  \_|/ |  |
             |         |`  \  \|  /  __,    _ \ |
             |         |    `._\,'  '    ,-`_\ \|
             |         |        ,----      /|   )
             \         \       / --.      {/   /|
              \         | |       `.\         / |
               \        / `-.                 | /
                `.     |     `-        _,--V`)\/        _,-
                  `,   |           /``V_,.--`  \.  _,-'`
                   /`--'`._        `-'`         )`'
                  /        `-.            _,.-'`
                              `-.____,.-'`
Gabriel Naro
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2014, 08:15:09 AM »

Todays post is about my own recently finished work, the world map theme!

This is the world map:

How the map looks so far! (click for full size image)

This is the theme: https://soundcloud.com/rednoisevgm/tiny-empire-world-map-theme

I would very much like to know what you guys think of it. Does it fit the map and the tone of the game? Feedbacks are greatly appreciated! :D

Cheers!  Toast Right
Gabriel Naro
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2014, 12:20:15 PM »

Hey there

Its been some time since te last update. We just got back from Unite Brazil 2014, and it was great! They showed us a little about the new features, such as the Enlighten lightning system, the new Directors animator and my favorite, the new Audio engine, completly bad ass!

We had some cool updates before our little tour through Sao Paulo, tho! We have just finished the other sprites (other than the cannon, that is). There this two screenshot show you how we envision that each stage will look like!

CLICK FOR FULL-RES IMAGES!

Please voice your feedback!

Cheers!  Toast Right
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 12:31:20 PM by narolol » Logged
Gabriel Naro
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2014, 09:22:31 AM »

Sup!

I'm sorry I haven't updated this devlog in a while! A lot of things are going on and sometimtes stuff gets forgotten.
On the bright side: we have a lot of updates to show you, and a lot of new decisions I'd like to talk about , so here we go (:

Enemies and the Extra Campaign

We finally come to conclusion on what the game progression will look like. Remember the "star-wallet" system? Well, the game will launch with a certain number of levels which will be unlocked upon certain progression has been made by the player. Those levels will be part of the Main Campaign. Campaigns are a set of levels that feature new mechanics, new elements and new stages! Each campaign will have its own "performance currency", which means that unlocking all stages in one campaign will not grant you access to all the stages from every campaign: we do this to control progress and measure the learning curve on each campaign, since gameplay elements change!

The game will have 2 campaigns at launch, the main campaign and the Desert Campaign(placeholder name). To unlock this extra set of levels you can either gather stars on the main campaign or spend a little to unlock it right away!

- This is your army (allies), killing them makes you lose 1 stars of the 3 possible in that level

Soldier                  Eagle-rider Mage

- The Hostage, same star-losing rule apply

Hostage

- Main Campaign enemies

the Orc!                     Beholder

- Desert Campaign enemies
                                    Gray Dwarf                         Crow-riding Mage                              The Stone Golem

Changes to the Game Design

There is a big change we made to the game that I'd like to elaborate a little more: the way bullet types work.

In previous posts I explained how each stage would be beaten: the player would be presented with the challenge and he/she could chose between 3 types of bombs, the only limiting factor would be the total number of shots he/she had. The problem with this is when you have a stage screen that does not scroll the level design suffers, one way or another. We could design stages where certain shots needed certain bullet types and that was our design philosophy, but we figured out we were taunting players with a false sense of freedom, and this is very frustating.

This is how our bullets used to be, a choice:

THEM BULLETS!

The new "don't make me choose" approach:

Now the player is shown how many shots he/she has and in what order they come. This allowed us to design better levels and made it clear to players that he/she already have the necessary tools to complete the stage, now the focus is how to do it, and thats exactly the shift of attention we wanted.

Consumables

The game will also feature a set of consumables: itens that are deleted (consumed) when used and provides help on a stage. The consumables are bought using another currency: Diamonds, a "hard-currency" that will be obtainable naturally via timed events or bought via IAPs. Now, to make it clear:

EVERYTHING IN THE GAME WILL BE OBTAINABLE FOR FREE. That includes new campaigns. It'll just take more time and skill Smiley

Now those are the consumables already implemented:

- The Shield: the shield protects your allied units for 1 hit. It does not expire naturally.

- The Target: shows the entire trajectory of your bullet when you aims.

To sum it up, here are some new screenshots of the game!

Voice your feedback below!

Cheers! Toast Right
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 10:06:36 AM by narolol » Logged
Gabriel Naro
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2015, 10:20:08 AM »

Read OP, it is updated!
Gabriel Naro
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2015, 12:44:28 PM »

Hey there! We made a new video about some changes we decided to do before rolling out the beta on Testflight, k? So, to everyone who has signed up in the beta forms, please wait a little longer, it will be worth it! We have done an internal playtest and thought the game lacked some things to its feel.

In other words, them bombs weren't heavy enought! The explosions fell dull, so we made the gravity heavier, added shockwave to the explosion effect and a screenshake. One other major change was the aim trajectory: we changed it so there is no confusion about what bomb you are going to shoot (:

Check it out in the video below:
Gabriel Naro
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2015, 11:57:45 AM »

Bump! Release date update!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic