Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411505 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 07:34:48 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignIdentification of Common Problems In Game Design
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Identification of Common Problems In Game Design  (Read 1319 times)
Nidre
Level 0

Out of range

View Profile WWW
« on: October 07, 2014, 12:44:14 PM »

Hello Everyone!

I am a Games Design Masters Student in University of Central Lancashire and I have decided to make a small survey to identify common problems in Games. Survey takes only about 5 minutes and you just have to fill in some simple questions such as the problems you are most unhappy with the games.

Than I may try to find a solution to specified problems depending on the survey results. More data i have will result in more efficient and correct results, therefore you can freely share this survey in any web page, blog or social media.

Thank you for the help!

Note : No personal data is collected.

Survey : https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1e3y_oH-AhnlvY6YWh8Hamabq-lqgzCeOxbsrkfd0fTQ/viewform?usp=send_form

I am a humble game designer and developer.

Blog : www.erdinkacan.tumblr.com
Save The Comet : www.stcdevblog.tumblr.com
starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 05:45:59 AM »

I didn't complete your survey. It seemed more like it was trying to collect anecdotes than data - lack of focus.

I'm not sure what you expect to find with this methodology.

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
Nidre
Level 0

Out of range

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2014, 03:48:27 AM »

Hello @starshift,

What i am trying to achieve is to discover some of common problems. I agree methodology is not focused. I am planning another survey after a while for a more focused approach.

hmm
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2014, 01:49:23 PM »

Interesting idea! Reminds me of A Pattern Language which is basically a set of design patterns for architects/builders to turn to when they encounter common problems.

I also came across a similar idea while studying industrial design at university: there's some collection of established design problems and potential solutions. Always wondered if this could work for games.

Good luck!

Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 09:43:22 AM »

Yeah, too generic. I am doing all of the work, in that survey.

But good effort though.
valrus
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2014, 11:59:00 PM »

I also came across a similar idea while studying industrial design at university: there's some collection of established design problems and potential solutions. Always wondered if this could work for games.

I've seen various design patterns collections for game design, although now that I think of it they're not really doing what A Pattern Language or the Gang of Four Design Patterns book did.  They were more lists of game mechanics, not really solutions to specific problems.  So yeah, finding the problems ain't so bad a way to start.

Nidre, may I suggest a methodology that might be use to you?  If you assemble of corpus of discussion about games (whether that's reviews, forums, etc.), you could make a tag cloud or something that lets you see the most frequent important words, and pick out a variety of negative terms ("bored", "frustrating", "quit", "unfair", etc.)  Those can be turned into questions:

"Describe a recent episode in which you felt bored while playing a game.  What made you feel like that?"
  "What kind of game was it?"
  "Is this a common problem in games of this type, or is it unique to this game?"

You could make a gamer version (the above) and also a dev version ("Have you ever had a complaint that an aspect of your game was boring?  What aspect was it?").

(Also, if you have such a game discussion corpus, you can do things like run correlations on genre terms and negative words, to see what people are negative about when they talk about different genres.)
Nidre
Level 0

Out of range

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2014, 09:26:09 AM »

That sounds like a very good idea Valrus. Also i am aware that the survey was too generic. I am not very experienced in terms of creating surveys so i agree there were problems. Future surveys will most likely be in a more focused and target manner.

Thank you for the comments!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic