Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1043205 Posts in 42262 Topics- by 33925 Members - Latest Member: ewetcr

September 17, 2014, 01:35:03 PM
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallFaery Tale Online
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Faery Tale Online  (Read 3683 times)
lumin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: January 19, 2009, 11:09:59 AM »

Hello Independent gamers.  After several long months of coding, I am ready to launch a brand new PBBG.

Faery Tale Online is a Persistent Browser Based Role-Playing Game.  It is completely free, and my goal is to make it the most immersive computer RPG in existence.  The game has been in developed since June, 2008 and will be allowing player sign-ups in a couple weeks.

The main thing that sets Faery Tale Online apart from other online games is that it is the first game (that I know of) to introduce characters into the game through being born from a mother.  This means that all players have a real family in the game world.

Other implemented features include a massive world to explore, completely player-driven economy, player-built cities and objects, seasonal/latitude based weather, magic, and permanent death.

The game is not fully completed, as there are many more features I plan to implement in the coming months and years.  It is at a point, however, where players will be able to sign up for the game.

The game will launch in just a couple weeks, and I'll be sending out an official announcement on the forums and to all those who have signed up for the newsletter.

So come check us out: www.faerytaleonline.com

Reading this may help a new player understand what the general game-play is like.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 03:47:40 PM by lumin » Logged
reetva
Level 5

Bee dee bai do beeeee

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 11:31:24 AM »

Looks cool!  Though, I have a question: is the main part of the game battle, or can you take up other jobs?  I've always liked the idea of playing an influential political figure, for example.

Hello!  I am here to boogie.  Shall we?
lumin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 11:41:17 AM »

Looks cool!  Though, I have a question: is the main part of the game battle, or can you take up other jobs?  I've always liked the idea of playing an influential political figure, for example.

The game is absolutely designed for playing non-combat characters.  Basically, if you can imagine a character in a fantasy world, you can be it.  Of course, your family may have an influence on what you will become.  If your dad was a carpenter, you will gain more hereditary skill in carpentry.  If your dad was the King, you're more likely to become a heralded prince with great riches.  If your parents are poor, that may influence you to become a thief or bandit.
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 01:32:24 PM »

Sounds pretty cool so far!

Q: Is there player-vs-player combat (PVP)?
A: Yes, it is completely un-restricted. Since Faery Tale Online is attempting to be a simulation of a plausible fantasy world, we let players deal with their own problems. However, realize that no murder will go un-seen and players are free to make up their own laws and rules to deal with trouble-makers. If you live by the sword, you may die by the sword as well.
Durr...? I feel the temptation to be a total dick when I play this, though. Start an army of murderous bandits and the like.

I also like the bit in the FAQ that implies you should just kill anyone who speaks out of character too much.

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
reetva
Level 5

Bee dee bai do beeeee

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 02:54:56 PM »

Durr...? I feel the temptation to be a total dick when I play this, though. Start an army of murderous bandits and the like.
Personally, I don't see that as being a total dick; I just see it as playing the game.  If I established a city and you came and burned it to the ground, I wouldn't mind that.  It's kind of like Dwarf Fortress: Losing is fun!
I generally have weird opinions, though.

Hello!  I am here to boogie.  Shall we?
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 03:23:40 PM »

Well, see you in the war, mister Reindeer Big Laff

@Lumin: I notice you're promoting it with lots of stuff about the weather system and the "500,000 square mile world" thing. The latter is bigger than I can judge in my mind, and even then we don't know what it means in the context of the game. The weather thing is kinda interesting, but I think the blank-slate history and player-built civilizations are way cooler. Corny Laugh

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
lumin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 03:42:24 PM »

I'm going to actually remove that reference, because it isn't accurate.

The world size is a little confusing.  To fully appreciate the game you've got to abstract a lot.  Each world location spans many square miles, and while traveling from site to site, you're basically not allowed to do anything.  Once a location is reached, cities can be built, battles can occur and people can be interacted with.  The world size is basically only there to make things feel large.

On a related note, the game is designed to be played a little bit like a pocket pet or virtual life game.  You login for a few minutes a day, check things, change projects, etc, then log out again.  Completing projects, traveling and healing all take a very long time and happen even while you're not playing.  Chatting to people in the game can take a week.

If you'd like to get a better idea of what the game is like, check out www.cantr.net.  It's basically the same game concept.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 03:45:30 PM by lumin » Logged
J.G. Martins
Level 2

AKA anvilfolk

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2009, 02:43:49 PM »

Hey there, glad you're posting it around here. Might gather a few more players.

Subscribed to the newsletter, and waiting Smiley

Gold is for the mistress -- silver for the maid --
Copper for the craftsman cunning at his trade.
"Good!" cried the Baron, sitting in his hall,
"But iron, cold iron, is the master of them all."
--- Rudyard Kipling
battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2009, 03:08:57 PM »

This sounds really interesting.

Looking forward to playing it, and building citys so than Inane can raid them.

Wizard
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2009, 01:48:59 PM »

Oh hey, account sign-ups are enable. Seems like it'll be awhile before you play the game at this point. Durr...?

EDIT: Oh whoops. Read the announcement and it says he was holding off on sending any info out because he wanted forum-goers to get a headstart... Sorry Lumin! Epileptic
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 02:35:40 PM by Inane » Logged

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic