Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411489 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 03:06:34 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingBorealis - Pixel Art Platformer - Looking for honest feedback
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Borealis - Pixel Art Platformer - Looking for honest feedback  (Read 4741 times)
debugchicken
Level 1

Out of the sky, into the dirt.

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2014, 12:53:59 PM »

Quote from: vitorLanna
Hmmm. Is there a shorter name? xD
Also... Did you look up the meaning of Asellus Borealis? I mean, if you translate it from latin.

Well.. just Asellus would be shorter XD.
Yes it means.. northern donkey. But the meaning does not matter.  Just the sound. It was actually based in this character: http://www.zerochan.net/964003#full Its from a PSX game called saga frontier.

Quote from: VitorLanna
Although... Why not make her walk cycle in 3/4 view, like her idle animation?
Sprites from similar games are often like this. Take a look:
http://www.spriters-resource.com/snes/smarioworld/sheet/53664/
http://www.spriters-resource.com/snes/magicalqueststarringmickeymouse/sheet/1216/
Also, those who talkes about arm length were right... A stretched arm should reach the thigh, normally.

Well I copied from the megaman x4 zero sprite. XD I like this way

Quote from: vitorlanna
Hmm yeah it's synched! I just didn't notice, sorry ^ ^"
But maybe the idle animations could de be less subtle, with more movement?

No its not synced!! haha I was just saying that, should I sync it, it would be better if it indeed had more movement.

The idle animation was like, the first animation I did in my life. But I'll note that, if I have the time I'll implement a fun animation like when sonic gets bored. - But more related to the music. Thanks!

Practical use? You mean since you can hit them directly, deflecting their attacks at them wouldn't be useful?

Yes, because since you don't controll exactly where the project will go, it takes a lot of time and precision to make it go back exactly in the enemy. But its fun to do that anyway.

If that's it, well, there are many ways it can be usefull. For instance, that bomb enemy at the Fire Stage - maybe its shell is too hard for hitting directly but you can deflect is bombs back at it?
Or maybe you can use hitting the armadillo to make it hit many enemies easily, or to destroy some walls.

This is actually genius. I already made the armadillo invencible, I'll change the level design for him to be used as a tool to hit other enemies.

I'll also make some projectiles hit enemies back, like the iron ball of the mantis.

But I don't want to lose the feel of hack n' slashness, in fact I'll use it to improve the killing spree like you suggested on the armadillo, but not to create a dificulty for killing enemies, like you suggested on the turtle.

Althought I think I'll use the deflect as a dificulty on a boss, so the player needs to figure out he has to deflect projectiles back at the boss instead of directly hittin it. I feel that the boss would be a moment to use it this way.
Well this actually remembers me of zelda too, deflecting ganondorfs magic balls ;-; , but I guess it will be fun anyway - I could sync this part with music.

Also! You said you were using Unity, right? I think this plugin can help a lot with level design! http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/ferr2d-terrain-tool.204436/

I haven't bought it, but it looks really helpful and all the reviews are positive.

haha I don't think this is doable anymore. I use a system like megaman x4, with some ground variation, but its not this dinamic. Maybe for another project. maybe if I had an artist working with me.
debugchicken
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2014, 12:59:45 PM »

That... Is a bit complicated, it would be easier with the actual sprites. I'm on a notebook so I have to press fn+print screen (on opposite sides of keyboard) + -> to try and take the screenshot, and not all frames of the animation have the issue in a clear way...

I've tried to identify her skeleton to see if it would help. It seems there are some issues with the head - can you see it?

Wow there is some serious drawing shit going on here.

But I really don't get exactly what you're trying to say.

Here are some sprites for you to show better:

I choosed the worst ones.
vitorlanna
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2014, 04:44:33 PM »

Here!
Mostly the head is squished horizontally and the clothes have no volume, so those are the things I tried to change.

Also just for kicks I went and did my own take on her design xD
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 07:25:52 PM by vitorlanna » Logged

debugchicken
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2014, 06:28:22 PM »

Here!
Mostly the head is squished horizontally and the clothes have no volume, so those are the things I tried to change.

Also just for kicks I went and did my on take on her design xD

WOW

now I realize it. I'll correct every frame and then post the animation again. thanks A LOT

Also I liked a lot your version XD

The light is 10 times better then in my animation ;_;

wouldn't you like to work with me in this project? XD

Well made graphics would lead to a exponentially better game...
vitorlanna
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2014, 09:35:24 AM »

Well, I'm interested  Smiley Let's talk by pm!

debugchicken
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2014, 09:31:35 AM »

**Update**

New build, with much better art, new things you can do with your bat, and a better demo presentation.

Windows:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5246832/Builds/BorealisDemoWin.rar

Mac:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5246832/Builds/BorealisDemo_Mac.app.zip

Implemented almost all of the suggestions mentioned here, people who saw them can see their opinion and the help they made on the new build.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 09:44:36 AM by mirrorlink » Logged
Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2014, 11:03:54 AM »

The level select is very nice to have. It does feel a bit weird, though, because I can't select one with the keyboard even though the rest of the game is entirely keyboard-controlled.

Which art has changed? I didn't notice anything that stood out, but maybe my memory of the old version is inaccurate. I'm surprised that the character is exactly as she was before, considering most of the comments were about her.

What can I do with the bat that's new?

The music is good. The tank enemies in the second level are interesting. It's not that often I see an enemy with two different attack styles, and I didn't expect them to actually aim at me so that was good to see as well. It was also kinda cool to see one shoot a wasp out of the sky by accident.

The controls feel weird to me. I'm so used to Z being Jump that using it to attack throws me off. Also note that people with AZERTY keyboards will probably have a hard time playing with those controls.

Sometimes when I jump, it seems to act like I've released the button so the character falls again right away. It doesn't happen often, but I'm not sure why it happens at all.

I really like how the music cuts out when you find a chest. That was a nice touch. I didn't like how the text took forever to go away, though. It would be nice to be able to skip through it quickly (or can I? maybe I was pressing the wrong button for that). It also was very unclear what the gem did when equipped.

My Old Game: We Want YOU - Join the Fight for Freedom

Twitter - Mostly comments on games, old and new.
debugchicken
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 01, 2015, 04:28:55 PM »

Quicksand you're always so solicitous to people, you deserve a medal!

Quote from: Quicksand-S
The level select is very nice to have. It does feel a bit weird, though, because I can't select one with the keyboard even though the rest of the game is entirely keyboard-controlled.

You're right. This level select is for demo purposes. I'll make a super-mario like world map, with points being stages and lined being the way, full keyboard-controlled.

Which art has changed? I didn't notice anything that stood out, but maybe my memory of the old version is inaccurate. I'm surprised that the character is exactly as she was before, considering most of the comments were about her.
The animation is much much better, specially the walk animation. But the attack improved a lot also. I didnt change anything in the design itself, but only a few people commented about the design of the character, which I didnt want to change. I'm thinking for the next build to animate a smaller version of the character, but no changes in design.

What can I do with the bat that's new?

Like vitor lanna suggested, you can reflect some attacks at the enemy, like the rain boss and the mantis. Mostly it XD. I'll implement a charged attack though, but it will be an upgrade in the final version.

The music is good. The tank enemies in the second level are interesting. It's not that often I see an enemy with two different attack styles, and I didn't expect them to actually aim at me so that was good to see as well. It was also kinda cool to see one shoot a wasp out of the sky by accident.

haha nice, thanks :]

The controls feel weird to me. I'm so used to Z being Jump that using it to attack throws me off. Also note that people with AZERTY keyboards will probably have a hard time playing with those controls.
hm I didnt know AZERTY controls were a thing. I'll search about their popularity. Well its weird because you said before that the keyboard controls did work. Maybe switch Z and space may solve it? maybe Z and X, but I do think not using space is a waste.

Sometimes when I jump, it seems to act like I've released the button so the character falls again right away. It doesn't happen often, but I'm not sure why it happens at all.
I'll check that out.

I really like how the music cuts out when you find a chest. That was a nice touch. I didn't like how the text took forever to go away, though. It would be nice to be able to skip through it quickly (or can I? maybe I was pressing the wrong button for that). It also was very unclear what the gem did when equipped.

Thanks.
hehe ehhh you can't skip at all ._. I'll try to make it a bit faster.

Thanks again for the feedback quicksand!
debugchicken
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2015, 04:32:27 PM »

Released the online build:

http://gamejolt.com/games/platformer/dragon-slayer-borealis-beta/43864/

Also, for those who played the old version and want to compare with the new one, here is the old version:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5246832/Borealis3.6.rar
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic