Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411499 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 09:24:40 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesLet's discuss Smash 3DS
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Let's discuss Smash 3DS  (Read 4042 times)
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« on: October 09, 2014, 08:59:00 AM »

Opening this can of worms with a simple statement:

Allowing Music Demo mode to function while in Sleep Mode?

Grin

BEST. FEATURE. EVER. "!!!".

Connect an Aux cable to your car stereo and BUMP THAT SHIT HARD.

Whiteclaws
Level 10

#include <funny.h>

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 11:18:23 AM »

its slow, a bit faster than brawl, but no wavedashes, no crazy combos and stuff, idk it looks really """casual"""
Zanenga
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 11:43:03 AM »

I like it a lot! Played it for hours with a couple of friends on launch day.
Mii's a definitely a highlight. I've been creating all kinds of characters from movies, animes, comics and stuff.

Hey! I'm a game designer/programmer/writer, and I like to make games. Smiley

@LucasZanenga Facebook
Glyph
Level 10

Relax! It's all a dream! It HAS to be!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 11:44:46 AM »

I've played a lot of it

its slow, a bit faster than brawl, but no wavedashes, no crazy combos and stuff, idk it looks really """casual"""

I disagree.

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 12:35:12 PM »

Opening this can of worms with a simple statement:

Allowing Music Demo mode to function while in Sleep Mode?

Grin

BEST. FEATURE. EVER. "!!!".

Connect an Aux cable to your car stereo and BUMP THAT SHIT HARD.

it'd be nicer if the audio was a bit nicer (it's kinda tinned/dropped/weirdly mastered for the 3DS speakers? like compare it to the animal crossing new leaf audio and you'll see a noticable difference) but yeah, the music in this game is fantastic; kapp'n's song has my favorite arrangement here

you don't seen fun

honestly the game is way more balanced now than it's ever been though i really do have to spend more time with it. but it feels great. satisfying and weighty without bein sluggish.

it's not fucking "slow," either; brawl was a little slow. melee was psychotically fast. this game feels faster than smash 64, i'd argue (though i haven't played that in years so i might be wrong)

Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 01:19:54 PM »

I really like it. The controls were a bit weird at first, but I'm warming to them. I like that the "adventure mode" was replaced by "smash run", which I find much funner.
Also:

Little Mac rules.

MrBones
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2014, 01:36:39 PM »

it's fun but it's not as good as melee in my opinion.
battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2014, 03:24:44 PM »

Every character is super deep and has a lot of tricks. Best Smash game yet imo.
Glyph
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2014, 04:08:26 PM »

Now that I have a bit more time I'll go a bit more in-depth on my impressions.

I used to play Brawl fanatically. Melee too, and even the original, but I was never good at those two. Last year I went to a low-key Smash tournament thing and it turned out to be in Project M. I won the tournament, but I still fucking hate PM. I don't want to rant though, so I'll leave it at that. Anyway, I'm glad the developers made some concessions, and this game feels like a good balance between 'accessible' and 'complex'. Or, if you want to generalize, between Brawl and Melee.

I was pretty bummed that Smash Run couldn't be played online (even if only with friends), and even more bummed that you couldn't actually encounter or chase down your opponents in the stage (though five seconds of thinking that through reveals why -- with powers and a speed stat to keep up with disadvantaged players, things could get nasty. But Kibry Air Ride allowed you to fight your opponents while gathering powerups, so I was hoping for something like that). I was most bummed, like extraordinarily bummed, by the inability to change the time limit from anything but five minutes. I want to get all my stats to 1000 and run around, damnit! Once I get someone to play Smash Run locally with though, it should be a great alternative to just straight-up smashing, and fighting the impressive roster of enemies to gather big honkin' powerups never gets old (to my OCD self, anyway).

The controls work well for what they are, my only big complaint being those damn unintentional wall clings. The input to do it is a bit too easy, making for some annoying situations.

Classic Mode is fun, but I was hoping for the enemies on 9.0 to have a bit more sting. The 9 AI was never crazy great in any Smash game though, so I guess it can't be helped, but since it's a carry-over from KI:U, I expected to die in three hits and lose all my gold. Master Core is definitely tough on 9.0 though, which is good.

The music is great, which shouldn't be any surprise. The Smash arrangements have always been top-notch. I was a bit underwhelmed by the the Final Destination theme (a remix of the otherwise good main theme). But I'm so glad that Shulk exists so I can listen to Xenoblade's superb soundtrack. I hope they'll have some more of the good ones from that game in the Wii U version.

Global Smash Power would be a lot better if it told you how many players it was out of, so you could know if you were close to the top or not. Anything over 1,000,000 generally is pretty good, but I'd still like to know the specifics.

Street Smash is a nice diversion, as are: completing the Challenges lists, playing Trophy Rush, or trying to get kills in Cruel Smash (I've only ever managed 4 before, and it was through AI screw-ups). Overall, there's a lot of stuff to do, and take all my criticism with a grain of salt because I actually have played this game for hours and hours and hours and am basically just whining about small stuff at this point.

I really like it. The controls were a bit weird at first, but I'm warming to them. I like that the "adventure mode" was replaced by "smash run", which I find much funner.
Also:

Little Mac rules.

Strange - I checked my Little Mac record for Home Run and I had 2,891 feet with a GSP of 1,109,789. So either the feet-to-meter conversion isn't the same as in real life (904.6m ~= 2967 feet) or GSP is different across regions. I guess that shouldn't come as a surprise, but it is "global"...

Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2014, 06:28:55 AM »

From what I read the GSP changes over time based on the scores that the game's players are getting. It's a peculiar scoring system, for sure. http://www.ssbwiki.com/Global_Smash_Power

Jondog
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2014, 10:01:02 AM »

Unlocking all the characters and stages was really fast, but there's heaps of other stuff to get now like the equipment and custom moves which will probably keep me playing for a while.

Noogai03
Level 6

WHOOPWHOOPWHOOPWHOOP

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2014, 12:24:35 PM »

it's not melee which in my opinion is a good thing; melee was extremely intimidating to a newcomer compared to Brawl; I play Brawl a huge amount and prefer it by miles to melee.
Massive character roster, pretty awesome stuff there (DUCK HUNT DOG)
no c-stick, automatically makes it less good imo which is a shame, but the WiiU version will be amazing  Kiss

So long and thanks for all the pi
Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2014, 12:36:12 PM »

Every character is super deep and has a lot of tricks. Best Smash game yet imo.

Love how all the newcomers are very unique. Having a lot fun playing as Rosalina, wasn't expecting to like her so much.

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2014, 12:53:53 PM »

loving the changes from brawl in established characters, too; captain falcon and toon link play so so well in this game compared to last time around.

also: sonic? sonic plays actually not badly at all? which shocks me

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2014, 03:15:48 PM »

I tried 3 stores and amazon for this and I cant find a physical copy Sad

Amazon does have it now but at a huge markup through a 3rd party (canadian amazon)

Glyph
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2014, 03:40:59 PM »

Yeah, I was quite sure before the game came out that it was one I had to preorder. I'm not a fan of the concept of preordering in general, but I was definitely right about it - all copies of the game were gone from my town in a night, and subsequent shipments emptied quickly too (I know this since I had a friend who wanted to obtain a physical copy, but eventually he gave up and got it through the eShop).

Same goes for the Wii U version, I will once again predict (it's a safe bet, though). I went and preordered that one tonight. Nintendo has all my money on lockdown Waaagh!

And some Wii U version differences:

...Event mode! Board game mode!? 8-player! Stage editor! Mewtwo!

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2014, 06:45:29 PM »

question: do you two live away from a major city? i just walked to my local target (in the chicago loop) and they had ten copies just lying around

i'd think it would be harder in a major city, not easier, to find a copy. if the opposite is true, then that's a major whack in the head for me

Jondog
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2014, 07:13:26 PM »

On launch day I ended up getting a copy at a games store instead of a general retailer because they were sold out.

I'm kind of annoyed about all the extra stuff in the Wii-U version, makes me feel like I bought a severely cut down version for the 3DS. I knew there was going to be more stages, music, trophies etc. but I didn't think they would cut off access to a lot of the fighting modes and stage creation.

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2014, 07:22:33 PM »

it's really not....cutting off access, so much, though

the 3DS version barely fucking holds together as it is. i had my first ever system crash on my 3DS due to processor overload with smash bros. and i've had the game since launch.

the fact that it runs at all is a miracle. the amount of content that it has in addition is pretty amazing.

it's literally as much as it could probably be, i think; i'm not an expert, but from the amount of sticks-and-glue-and-tape ingenuity that's seemingly necessary to make it even work, i'd wager that the 3DS simply can't even handle the modes exclusive to the wii u edition

plus they gave us smash run, at least

if there's one smash bros. 4 complaint i have above all else, it's that there's no kind of target break mode like melee or even brawl's. target blast is...really not very fun.

Glyph
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2014, 07:57:00 PM »

question: do you two live away from a major city? i just walked to my local target (in the chicago loop) and they had ten copies just lying around

i'd think it would be harder in a major city, not easier, to find a copy. if the opposite is true, then that's a major whack in the head for me

Small college town, so I guess supply is low and demand is high in my case. Guess this makes me an outlier, though.

As for the cut-down argument, I agree in some capacity. No item commonality settings (other than on/off) or advanced options for Smash Run do leave something to be desired. But as for the content that's there, beyond the nitpicks -- 50-some fighters, an abundance of stages, and all that other shit under Games & More has given me plenty of stuff to do. Also 100something challenges to complete if that's your thing. The online play is pretty impressive as well, unless you run into someone playing off of a toaster. It's great to play with my brother and a friend with perfect connection when we're hundreds of miles away though, and same goes for anonymous matches.

I do feel like there's a lot to miss out on if you don't have friends that have the game, though. I've pretty much gotten every use out of it thus far, from StreetSmash to local Smash Run, so I don't feel like I'm missing much. This is a game reliant on friends, though, so this almost goes without saying.

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic