Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 06:35:49 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs"Phyersoft" enters the fray with "BARRICADE"!
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: "Phyersoft" enters the fray with "BARRICADE"!  (Read 3913 times)
phyerboss
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: October 09, 2014, 10:07:15 PM »

Howdy y'all!

Man, it has been a loooong winding up & down journey. Coach, no less! With getting this lil' nugget of ours to a point where its now finally presentable to the world!  Tears of Joy

Starting of course here on TIGsource. It brings me great pleasure to finally reveal and share with you guys. Our 1st game as Phyersoft. "Barricade"!

Title Screen

In Game

sorry its a bit dark. Its an effect of being paused. I only make getting a 9 block combo look easy because I been practicing & play testing the gameplay for a bit too long>.> Its harder than it looks. But satisfying once you get the hang of it!

ATTENTION:
Sorry for the huge span between updates! But this project is still going! I just tend to avoid spamming this thread with minor details. And instead just post things that are more major!

Currently we are really making some huge steps towards completion. We are targeting a the last half of March to release an open beta to the public!

Barricade:
Is a 2D pixeled arcade puzzle game. That draws very heavy influences from the older 16-32bit arcade & console titles from the late 90's. Our intention was to bring a game in with the "look" & "feel" of an older console game. But still offer players many modern conveniences. Gameplay as you might can guess is using your bot's(you'll have 8 to select from*) randomly generated cache of colored bullets to take down tricky walls of multi-colored blocks. To progress to the next challenge!

Sounds simple I'd imagine. Until you realize that you have a charge meter that continuously depletes! And the only way to keep playing is to replenish it! Easy! To do that, you simply destroy the energy construct blocks to regain charge...oh, wait! Its still not getting back enough?!

Hmmmm.

Well, 1 block at a time might not really cut it. So you might need to experiment and sharpen your skills to take out more than 1 at a time with "chains" & "combos"! Its really meant to be easy to pick up. But hard to master without a good bit of practice.

The game will show off beautiful animated 2D graphics. With a few well placed openGL effects. Support up to 2 players with gamepads and rumble. Online play. And leaderboards! We are also looking to ensure that the game will be able to run on virtually any low end PC. On both 32 & 64bit Windows7 & 8. Linux. And eventually OSX.

Barricade is the 1st game from us. But it is also our 1st game as a team. So we will be using this as a learning experience. And as a chance to get used to working with each other as a team. I will post what updates I can here as time rolls on.

Latest build:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/67f0yzqa6k67ri7/Barricade_win-2016-08-07.zip?dl=0
Progress can also be followed on these sites as well:
Website- www.phyersoft.com(Under construction)
g+- https://plus.google.com/u/1/101417414501483929925/posts
Twitter- https://twitter.com/phyersoftdev
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 08:15:15 PM by phyerboss » Logged

Beta Coming Soon!
Julien
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 10:46:03 PM »

This look awesome Smiley Any change that it would run on Android ? Or just desktops

phyerboss
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 04:37:13 AM »

This look awesome Smiley Any change that it would run on Android ? Or just desktops

Thanks! Unfortunately, "no". Regarding ports to mobiles

Beta Coming Soon!
Julien
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 04:40:08 AM »

Ok  Shrug

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 04:43:57 AM »

oh this is awesome! has a really great sega genesis columnsy vibe (with a lil' bomberman in there, too)

kinda WISHING it would port to mobile devices (it'd be fantastic on tablets, it looks like) but eh, that's fine. not enough good puzzle games on steam

phyerboss
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2014, 04:47:29 AM »

oh this is awesome! has a really great sega genesis columnsy vibe (with a lil' bomberman in there, too)

kinda WISHING it would port to mobile devices (it'd be fantastic on tablets, it looks like) but eh, that's fine. not enough good puzzle games on steam

Thanks! But, not going with Steam either.
Just clearing that up now than waiting later^^

Beta Coming Soon!
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2014, 04:52:32 AM »

welp! wherever you release it, hopefully there's a mac port, otherwise i'm not gonna be able to play it!

(unless you're saying it's a console exclusive)

phyerboss
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2014, 01:46:47 PM »

welp! wherever you release it, hopefully there's a mac port, otherwise i'm not gonna be able to play it!

(unless you're saying it's a console exclusive)

Yep, thats the plan. To eventually get it on OSX as well.

Beta Coming Soon!
phyerboss
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2014, 03:37:28 PM »

Sorry if things seem a bit slow from the Phyersoft camp. We're still very busy pushing further into our long awaited 0.5 build. Another thing is that I like to try to avoid making too many unnecessary posts.

Unless its something really major thats worth sharing Smiley.

So! On this go around we added in a new level.
And finally, I present you all with a short gameplay gif to show it off!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10549152/barplay.gif
WARNING: GIF is big!

ENJOY
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 05:28:53 PM by phyerboss » Logged

Beta Coming Soon!
phyerboss
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2014, 08:00:07 PM »

For those unable to deal with the giant sized gif.
We finally have a demo vid up showing off the title screens. Gameplay and scoring!

Beta Coming Soon!
phyerboss
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2014, 09:32:17 PM »

A taste of just how high a combo 1 can get!

This is actually not my highest Gentleman

Note:
OK I GIVE UP! Im old OUTDATED AND SUCKIN'!
How in the heck do you embed ytube vids on here?!!! Angry
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 09:42:29 PM by phyerboss » Logged

Beta Coming Soon!
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2014, 09:46:22 PM »

you literally can't.

(yet)

we're working on it, i think? there's a thread for it somewhere where there is talk about this

but yes, it is not possible

(yet)

phyerboss
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2014, 09:49:41 PM »

you literally can't.

(yet)

we're working on it, i think? there's a thread for it somewhere where there is talk about this

but yes, it is not possible

(yet)

Ok, thanks Rj...
So how in the world are others being able to post vids as of late?!

Beta Coming Soon!
Connor
Level 8

Smooth talker, musician. Loves all things 70s.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2014, 01:51:21 PM »

embed the link or simply type the website link.

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=52009.msg1280646#msg1280646

too bad eggybooms ents are actually men in paper mache suits and they NEED to be agile
phyerboss
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2015, 06:28:34 PM »

Greetings everybodeh! Cool

Its been a looong while. Our apologies for that! Ok, 1st off...

We are still working on this project. It is not dead! Its just that as simplistic as it looks. It really has a lot of "underlining" factors to cobble in! As they always say: Everything worthwhile always takes "time". Wink

So, with that out the way. Here's 1 of a few new updates!

1st, the Character Selection screen has been revamped. And given a bit more "energy".

Hey, thats great Mike! But, uuuuh...Who the heck are THESE other guys?!

Well, they are of the next string of updates I have to share;)

So till then! Please stay tuned!

Beta Coming Soon!
Photon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2015, 07:26:37 PM »

Watched the old youtube vids. Took me a little bit to grasp how it was more than a "shoot red w/ red, shoot green w/ green, etc." game but once I started to understand it it seemed kind of cool. Hope to see more soon from you!
phyerboss
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2015, 07:41:43 PM »

Watched the old youtube vids. Took me a little bit to grasp how it was more than a "shoot red w/ red, shoot green w/ green, etc." game but once I started to understand it it seemed kind of cool. Hope to see more soon from you!

Heh, glad you seemed to like it, Photon.

yeah, there is a good bit of strategy under all this. But its not meant to get too deep as its a pretty fast-paced game. So a player's thought style will have to lean more towards thinking "on the fly".

Theres much more to come. So that the player has more options on hand to score and survive each level.

Beta Coming Soon!
phyerboss
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2015, 11:21:54 PM »

Howdy y'all!

Posting to let you guys know things are still going full burst for us on the project!

I know its kinda hard to tell when Im so slow on the updates. Yeeeaah, Im a horrible poster-_-
Well, either way. I do have a small graphical effect update I can share for now!

For those that have been watching the gameplay vids. Im sure you all took notice to an odd effect with the large square blocks.

looked like this:

That my good fellows is the temporary sign we put in place to act as a visual aide for players. To know what blocks were close to being destroyed.

See, theres more robots planned than the red guy you've all seen. As stated in the description of the game. Each bot will have its own levels of SPEED and POWER. And the rectangular blocks. Along with the large square ones take a varying amount of hits before finally shattering. Despite having extra damage frames for the blocks indicating how close they are to going down. Players who might be more prone to getting too immersed into the game. May actually not pay subtle details like that any mind. If they are minding their charge meter and scanning the field for potential scoring chances.

So it was decided to add in another visual queue. That would be a bit more "noticeable". Thus the "shake" was born. But only as a placeholder till we came up with something better.

That day has finally come! And now we swapped it out for the more pleasing "pulsate" effect!

Now you all may now notice that not only the large blocks will pulsate when nearly destroyed. Even the medium rectangular ones will as well. And so far in play testing. It really does give a good idea at-a-glance. Which blocks are ripe for the breaking!

Now this was a pretty minor thing I admit. But its something nice we were all proud to share!

Beta Coming Soon!
phyerboss
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2015, 11:49:25 PM »

Ok gang! We got a newer update to share!

This time, "Using bombs to launch and push blocks!

This is a newer scoring tactic players can use to setup larger combos. It'll be tricky and take a lot of skill & precision. But should be worthwhile with the bonuses and multipliers!

As most have you may have seen from the vids posted. Steel blocks were the only things we had sliding and launching. But we thought "how cool it would be if the player could execute combos not just vertically. By dropping large blocks down. But horizontally as well"?! So we added in the ability to allow blocks that are not too damaged. To be pushed horizontally by a bomb's blast in the opposite direction!

Pretty much, the rectangular blocks wont have the power to inflict any physical damage on other blocks. Nor set off bombs. If anything. Pushing them could just be a tactic to move them where needed.

Only large blocks and steel blocks have the strength to directly damage anything in their path! However, damage only occurs if the block thats struck was the same color as the pushed block. This same rule applies when dropping these monsters on other blocks. A large block will either damage/destroy a block of the same color. Or change the color of the struck block to its own.

Large blocks will even set off bombs when slide into or dropped onto them!

And lastly. This illustrates how a launched steel block can cause damage or destroy a block.

Steel blocks are indestructible obstacles. That can be better used as "tools" to help remove blocks. They can be dropped, launched or slid into other blocks, stones or bombs. Also, it is only the steel blocks that can be launched.

When slid across the screen. Blocks will always fly over in the opposite direction of the blast that set them sliding. They will continue until stopped by another object. Or by the edge of the play area. Steel blocks will only launch up as high as 5 blocks its size. But can cause damage on the way back down or if dropped from a height of 4 blocks its size.

Well, thats it for now. The game is still coming along nicely. And there should be a bit more new features to show off soon! So till then. Stay tuned!

Beta Coming Soon!
phyerboss
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2015, 03:03:43 PM »

Hmmm...

"Puzzle Mode" anybody? Well, hello there!

Beta Coming Soon!
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic