Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 10:56:15 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallNeptune, Have Mercy.
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Neptune, Have Mercy.  (Read 1257 times)
Octopodo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: October 11, 2014, 02:52:39 PM »

Neptune, Have Mercy.
 An exploration focused Roguelike set on Neptune's largest moon, Triton.

Neptune's moon Triton beckons, but deep below its surface a subterranean ocean contains a dark mystery. Explore an abyssal alien ecosystem by navigating submarines through procedural cave systems in this exploration focused roguelike.

You steer a submarine around an underwater cave system on Triton, with the goal of descending as far as possible. You control the weapons and utilites of the submarine to interact with the environment and creatures there in. You'll unlock new tools through exploration and crafting, and they will help you reach new areas on each playthrough. The game features procedural environments, vehicle customization, and lots of strange alien planet ecosystem.

The world is ever-intriguing and tremendously dangerous .

We're developing Neptune, Have Mercy. in Unity and aiming for a Steam release in the first half of 2015.

Each playthrough a new cave system is procedurally generated and populated with alien flora and fauna. The world is masked by darkness, your submarines meager lights and the bioluminescence of the oceans other inhabitants are the only light sources. You'll have to rely on sonar as much as light to navigate.

Exploration means :
  • Mapping the tunnels and their entry/exit points
  • Finding Secret Areas / Cave Branches
  • Resource Gathering - Mineral and Biomaterial harvesting
  • Item/Module Collection - Think wreck salvaging
  • Research / "Teching Up"

These will be detailed individually as we progress with development! Updates will be posted here.

Choose your descent vessel from a library of unlockable submarines. Each vessel is built in a modular fashion, with a series of hardpoints positioned around the hull. You can snap all kinds of tools onto the hardpoints - Lights, weapons, research utilities, resourcing tools, etc. Choosing the modules you think are the best fit for the situation will be a constant dilemma. There are obviously many configurations, some are probably more useful than others, and some are just stranger than others...

Equipped modules can be switched in "Hangars" found in the world. They may be few and far between, so planning ahead is important. You can also use these hangars to repair any damage.

Some new modules can be acquired right at the hangar, while others need to be crafted or found in the world. We're working to generate a big big library of interesting modules and consumables to make the game highly replayable.

A bizarre and unique alien ecosystem is core to the experience of Neptune. Much like earths ocean, it's often the case that the deeper you descend, the stranger things get. We're striving to make intriguing and unfamiliar creatures to inhabit the waters - both in form and function. Perhaps some fish are just fish, but most creatures carry a function that may be useful in puzzle solving.

Puzzle solving is naturally one of the core drivers of exploration. As the environment is generated, puzzle obstacles will be inserted to block progression and access to treasures.

These "puzzles" can be as simple as a big mean fish, or something more nuanced, like a thermal hazard. Most obstacles have several solutions, so on a given obstacle, even if they don't have the right tools on the submarine, a crafty player can make use of the environmental assets to clear it.
Glowing octopus + harpoon gun = Portable flashlight.

Gathering minerals and bio-materials in the world allows you to craft new modules and consumables for your submarine. This means additional lights for your sub, better sonar, motors, weapons, research equipment and so on. We're working to generate a big big library of interesting modules and consumables to make the game highly replayable.

We're developing a crew management menu for the interior of the submarine - a little bit FTL style.
This part is changing day to day, but feels like it could be very interesting. Updates will be posted here as it develops.

We're developing Neptune, Have Mercy. in Unity and aiming for a Steam release in the first half of 2015.

I'm looking forward to community feedback of every kind! I'll be updating this thread and post as we progress.

Thanks for checking it out!
Double thanks if you like our page, follow our stuff, join our mailing list or just tell someone that this game exists.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 09:09:20 PM by Octopodo » Logged

Neptune, Have Mercy. - Submarine Roguelike set on Neptune's moon, Triton.
Ultima Ratio Regum
Level 7

Game Studies Lecturer, "Ultima Ratio Regum" person

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2014, 07:34:48 AM »

Wow. This looks absolutely tremendous, graphically, conceptually, and I very much hope, mechanically. Are you at all inspired by the film "The Europa Report?"

pikkukatti
Level 1

Team Lead @AncestoryGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2014, 09:07:11 AM »

That looks staggeringly good and fresh. I just love the way you present the game and I hope to see some gameplay videos soon Smiley

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2014, 03:13:06 PM »

Been following this on r/gamedev. Looks great

Do you have a Twitter page to follow?

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
Siilk
Level 0

Techpriest software enginseer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2014, 07:20:29 PM »

Looks promising and rather unique.
Octopodo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2014, 09:01:31 PM »

Wow. This looks absolutely tremendous, graphically, conceptually, and I very much hope, mechanically. Are you at all inspired by the film "The Europa Report?"

Thanks very much! The Europa Report has certainly been discussed in our brainstorming. Europa gets so much attention though, we want to give Triton some love. I also very much hope we can deliver mechanics on par with the visuals  Cheesy

That looks staggeringly good and fresh. I just love the way you present the game and I hope to see some gameplay videos soon Smiley

Thanks, that means a lot. Gameplay videos in the works, stay tuned.

Been following this on r/gamedev. Looks great

Do you have a Twitter page to follow?

Thanks! twitter page is https://twitter.com/NeptuneHM
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 09:07:32 PM by Octopodo » Logged

Neptune, Have Mercy. - Submarine Roguelike set on Neptune's moon, Triton.
pikkukatti
Level 1

Team Lead @AncestoryGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2014, 11:05:53 PM »

Thanks, that means a lot. Gameplay videos in the works, stay tuned.

Thanks! twitter page is https://twitter.com/NeptuneHM
Oh nice, I can't wait to see it.

If I have one thing to mention as feedback it's that I think the font could be a bit nicer and I like the aliasing (pixelisation) in the text. Something more like Art Deco font (think Bioshocks world) would suit the game great in my opinion.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic