Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 06:29:08 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioKeeping Backups
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Keeping Backups  (Read 1260 times)
MereMonkey
Level 2

Creator of Music

View Profile WWW
« on: October 13, 2014, 02:30:49 AM »

Hey all!

I would love to hear how you guys keep back ups when working on projects, to prevent that dreaded moment of losing everything.

Currently I only have one external hardrive as a backup for my main workstation, which I would like to improve on. Any recommendations/experiences in this area are more than welcome as I would love to hear what works for you!

Thanks in advance!  Coffee

My Site  -  My Twitter - *GASP* MY SPINACH PUFFS!
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 03:56:09 AM »

i have my entire project folder backed up on google drive. the whole thing.

i update it about once a month. should probably do more.

Lauchsuppe
Level 3

hruabp

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 05:54:01 AM »

Thought about setting up a NAS system in raid-0 as its actually not that costly anymore and easily expandable in terms of storage.
I don't like the thought of having my private data or project files stored in a third party cloud.
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 05:56:24 AM »

i honestly don't mind. all my project files and samples are things most people wouldn't be able to do anything with anyway (unless someone desperately wants to remix something i've done? in which case...i also have no problem with that?) and none of it has sensitive info, so i prefer the cloud for convenience's sake. easier to recover.

Pete301
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 06:10:34 AM »

I use a 2TB nas drive in raid 0. Back it up whenever I remember, usually every 2 weeks. External hard drives are OK, though they can be a bit unreliable compared to a nas or cloud storage.
Lauchsuppe
Level 3

hruabp

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2014, 06:41:00 AM »

It's not just for privacy (although I do have some silly projects I would rather not want to see the light of the day).
It's also about relying on a third party. I'm not saying that using a cloud service is a bad decision, it's all a matter of preferences.
MereMonkey
Level 2

Creator of Music

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2014, 08:50:14 AM »

Cheers guys I'll be sure to check those out!

My Site  -  My Twitter - *GASP* MY SPINACH PUFFS!
Kyle Preston
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2014, 09:35:55 AM »

Yup, I'm in the middle of two big projects and I finally snapped.  Moving everything over to my 1 TB Hard Drive cuz I'm sick of seeing this bullshit:

After running through each track a few times, it works, but anything with 16+ tracks takes about 20 minutes to get up and running smoothly. It didn't start doing this until ≈ 6 gigs were left on my hardrive. Has anyone upgraded their RAM to fix this problem? How much did it help?

i have my entire project folder backed up on google drive. the whole thing.

i update it about once a month. should probably do more.

How do you fit all that in 15 GB, or do you pay for more storage?

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2014, 10:53:18 AM »

my account is up to 30 gb, so yes, the latter

ZackParrish
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2014, 03:32:11 PM »

I backup all my stuff on an extra internal harddrive, an external one, and my website. Suffered too many harddrive crashes in the past and lost a TON of work where I hadn't been backing things up regularly.

bombjack
Level 3

That's me :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2014, 01:54:02 AM »

I use daily backup on dropbox at home and daily backup on server + tape backup at work.

Bakuda
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2014, 09:57:06 AM »

Currently I back up to a 1.5 TB external drive using Time Machine, but I'm thinking about getting some cloud storage as well.  As cheap as cloud storage is getting it seems like a no brainer to use it.

Fat Bard
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2014, 08:06:52 AM »

I'd agree with the suggestions of keeping a physical backup and a cloud backup. I'd actually suggest using an external drive for backups so that if something goes bad with your computer the external isn't affected. I like the internal hard drives in an external enclosure as opposed to a 2.5 small backup drive. Mine has two bays so I can add drives and swap them out if need be. If you're a PC user I suggest using Syncback to backup the files to a hard drive. Really easy to use and it only copies what needs to be copied.

Fat Bard - We make memorable music and sound FX
http://www.fatbard.com
Nelvin
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2014, 02:52:48 AM »

To me, backups are very important so I use multiple ways to do them - just in case Smiley

I backup to an external drive pretty regularly
I use multiple external drives and at least one is always stored away in a different physical place
I use CrashPlan which is a cloud backup provider. At the moment I only use their free client which already allows you to backup to a friends PC (in my case, I backup to my parents PC) or to a local folder/drive.
Given Office 365 now comes with 1TB (iirc, by now it's even increased to unlimited already) OneDrive I'd love to get an easy and flexible way to backup to my OneDrive too Smiley
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic