Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 02:27:48 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesGame Review with a pinch of humor.
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Game Review with a pinch of humor.  (Read 1317 times)
Gagz9k
Level 0

Part of LudunPactum

View Profile
« on: October 13, 2014, 10:32:23 AM »

I'm really looking for a videogames reviewer, in the lines of Jeremy Jahn[1], with quality production value, and a pinch of humor and charisma in the mix.

Yeah, personal opinion's a b*tch, I'm sure many of you might hate Jeremy Jahn, but I do actually like that kind of humor, and his opinions about movies are basically similar to mines. I'm looking for something like that in the gamingsphere.

I DON'T like Play With Me (or whatever the heck is called, I really hate those kind of videos). Jeremy does review some games, but his channel is focused on movies, so, it's not common occurrence. And reviews like James Recommend from Extra Credits are good, but there's no giggle factor in his monotonous dudistic voice (nothing against that wise old man, but it has almost no fun value as background noise, like Jeremy).

I tried with google, youtube and twitch search engines, and nothing that come up was even interesting.

[1] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7v3-2K1N84V67IF-WTRG-Q

Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 11:16:13 AM »

I watched that jahnjohn guy and he looks like bum reviews only with dude who owns same shirt as me. Thats my review.

You should check JonTron and PBG alongside NormalBoots, they seem to be the best providers of non-fatguy yells at EA content.
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 11:34:17 AM »

i can't even stand to look at jontron since his big fucking social media baby scream

mind i don't begrudge anyone who still watches his videos (though he really doesn't do reviews anyway?)

my hat is for zero punctuation. yahtzee's kind of a jackass and he has a tendency to make really offensive (like, genuinely offensive, not golden age simpsons offensive) jokes/statements about things but in general he's both really actually pretty funny most of the time and has a good head on his shoulders re: game design for the most part

jiitype
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 11:45:22 AM »

Yahtzee's alright but he never likes anything

Never
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 11:50:18 AM »

well, you can watch videos and be oblivious to twitter bs, try it.

Yantzee fans shouldnt/should watch lets drawn out by yantzee and his hobo friend. Yantzee is so cute teenage nihilistic and antisocial you want to pinch his hairy cheeks. Its probably going to ruin his angry critic persona though.
jiitype
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2014, 11:56:50 AM »

I really like Let's drown out. I love when their arguments get too real like in the last episode "you don't know me fuck you!" :D
Nillo
Level 10

Raunchy Raccoon

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2014, 12:02:33 PM »

The only video reviews I watch for their entertainment value rather than as a consumer guide are Zero Punctuation (for video games) and Shut Up & Sit Down (for board games). They both manage to be funny enough that I'll watch their stuff even if I don't care at all about the thing they're reviewing.

And yeah, Yahtzee is really negative about stuff, haha. It's just the persona he adopts in the videos. If you read his blog you can see that he's actually a lot more reasonable than he appears to be. And he does occasionally post a positive video (he had nothing bad to say about Portal, IIRC), but only when it's an absolutely excellent game.

Fun fact: Until recently, it was actually impossible for me to watch Zero Punctuation because I couldn't understand what he was saying. As a secondary English user, his speech was so fast I just couldn't keep up with it. So I missed out on the content for a long time and lately I've started digging into the old stuff that I missed back when my grasp of the language was lacking.

My finished games: Griddy RPG
My current project: SummonerRL
On hold: Griddy Heroes
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2014, 12:07:49 PM »

well, you can watch videos and be oblivious to twitter bs, try it

hey, sometimes you get turned off when people you used to like do things that are pretty at odds with your moral code and then decide to constantly affirm that they were in the right about it

again, i've got no beef with people who still watch jontron stuff. but personally, like

i tried watching one of his new videos and it gave me such a bad taste in my proverbial mouth that i couldn't stand a minute of it. it's like everything he does that i used to find charming just seems sad and irritating now.

anyway.

i've never heard of 'let's drown out' so i'm gonna go take a look. i do like extra punctuation, even if i rarely agree with the conclusions he arrives at. i wish more people in his position would talk about game mechanics at length.

on that note, arin hanson's sequelitis series is pretty damn great (again, even if i disagree with some of his conclusions!); very levelheaded discussion about video games and why they work or don't. his appraisal of ocarina of time is...basically my own appraisal of ocarina of time

jiitype
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2014, 12:25:14 PM »

Oh I forgot, Jimquisition and Jim Sterling's other stuff are entertaining. His videos of some shitty early access games are funny.
Leon Fook
Level 5

Ohh hi, or something like that.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2014, 09:29:04 PM »

ProJared, anyone? of course not his one minute review, because that doesn't contain any humor.

edit:
@rj
actually what jon did?

jiitype
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2014, 04:52:25 PM »

He called some thing retarded and people got angry at him for using that word or something like that
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2014, 05:25:40 PM »

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2014, 05:43:16 PM »

that doesn't bother me all that much as his response does, where instead of apologizing he decided to double down by deflecting the complaints with a trite 'think of what really matters' bullshit dealie

then he decided to triple down

also he's been generally pretty gross and bafflingly un-self aware re: gamergate recently and support thereof (and the way he goes about that support)

and blatantly not recognizing the legitimacy of feminism/feminist complaints

his response:

note the background

ANYWAY let's talk about funny cool stuff again

Gagz9k
Level 0

Part of LudunPactum

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2014, 06:07:35 PM »

Hey people,

Thanks for all the recommendations, specially Zero Punctuation. The only bad thing about it is that, as Nilo, I'm a native english speaker and the speed of that dude... I mean, if it was Spanish (my native lengua) it won't be a problem, but The Simpsons and Zelda OoT didn't prepare me for that kind of speed!, still, worth the time watching the show, even if I got zero work done while listening.

Oh, and the dude Jon?, yeah, he is a moron, but like rj, his original comment does not bother me so much as the next few messages. I've direct family that qualify as "retard" and yet I don't get offended for the use of that expression. His next message to the person who call it out?, pretty lame of him. Some people just need a crash course on Internet Stardom.

Again, thanks all for the awesome recommendations. I was missing some great stuff.

Leon Fook
Level 5

Ohh hi, or something like that.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2014, 01:53:31 AM »

ohh wow didn't realize there is a controversy going on with him. After so much shit happen, thank god i don't really care about what others does anymore when they're out of their internet persona. Also he always talk inconsistently. And he should apologies.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic