Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 06:48:54 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsQB1-0 - the reboot
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: QB1-0 - the reboot  (Read 1148 times)
joeyspacerocks
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: October 15, 2014, 12:15:48 AM »

QB1-0 (space shooter) - the reboot project

I'm not sure if it's the done thing to create a devlog for a 'completed' project but I need it to put some pressure on myself to see a reboot project though.

A few years ago I released QB1-0 - my first (completed) game to the iOS app store.

Website (+ trailer): http://qb1-0.canfactory.com/

It started out a simple self-imposed challenge to try and write a complete game in 48 hours. It took 2 years in the end (you can read more on my blog at http://pixelated.postagon.com if you're wondering how on earth an asteroidy type space shooter could take that long.

Since then it's had a trickle of sales and picked up just one real review and a handful of app store ones.

The real review was by IndieGameEnthusiast (Christian) who randomly discovered it after I made an entry on IndieDB.

Christian liked it overall but rightly identified it's shortcomings - the most obvious was that the game was a bit 1-dimensional.

It's pretty fun to play, but there's no way in it's current form it can compete with anything else out there and as someone on reddit kindly pointed out, 'So you wrote asteroids?'.

So this devlog is to document my efforts to reboot this project into something more rounded by including:

• tutorial/help/explain the 'intuitive' controls
  • game modes (e.g. arcade, survival, campaign)
  • music (maybe)
  • UI (proper menus, options)
  • better Game Center integration

I also haven't ruled out the idea of renaming it or, if it changes enough, publishing it as a different game and making the current version free.

Ideally I'd like to get the game away from feeling like 'asteroids' (even though it's not really).

The real challenge is going to be completing this in parallel to the other game I'm working on (Spooky Pooky), so this dev-log may be a bit slow burning, but like I say I really need to get it done to re-establish a bit of pride in the game.

NB. If anyone wants to check it out and give suggestions then let me know and I'll dump some promo codes on here.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 01:05:15 AM by joeyspacerocks » Logged

Kyle O
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 05:07:24 AM »

The game looks a lot like geometry wars... which isn't a bad thing... unless you want it to stand out-- in which case it is a bad thing.

Also, QB1-0 is an absolutely awful title. Nobody will ever remember that random collection of letters and numbers.

It is interesting that you are going back and essentially redoing, or I guess "rebooting" a completed game. I look forward to seeing what you can do to make your game stand out more... my personal suggestion would be to add some kickass boss fights... but I that's just me.

my twitter. my itch.io page.
joeyspacerocks
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 05:56:16 AM »

The game looks a lot like geometry wars... which isn't a bad thing... unless you want it to stand out-- in which case it is a bad thing.

Also, QB1-0 is an absolutely awful title. Nobody will ever remember that random collection of letters and numbers.

It is interesting that you are going back and essentially redoing, or I guess "rebooting" a completed game. I look forward to seeing what you can do to make your game stand out more... my personal suggestion would be to add some kickass boss fights... but I that's just me.

I can't argue with you on either point Smiley Annoyingly I've never actually played Geometry Wars (although obviously I'm well aware of it). The style was developed more out of a lack of artistic skill and a love of neon.

Yeah - the name is something I go backwards and forwards on, but ultimately, yes it will need a new name.

Boss fights is a great idea - I toyed with it a while ago but dropped it for the initial release as I just wanted to get the game out. Now though would be a good time to have another go.

Thanks for your comments!

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 06:20:30 AM »

Hey, thanks for the shout out! Yeah, I really liked QB1-0 and it's cool that you're planning on revamping the game. Will it still be a mobile-only game or are you planning on branching out to other platforms, primarily PC?

I'll be quite candid: as much as I love IOS gaming and appreciate the devs who work their ass to make great games for the platform, the App Store isn't very indie friendly, at least from my outside consumer perspective. When I'm finding hidden gems months and years after release or see great games get totally forgotten and overlooked a week after releasing (or sometimes the day it does release), that's a very clear sign of the kind of visibility the App Store has for indie devs

Okay, rant over...

Eager to see how you expand on the existing game. New enemies types and hazards would be cool as well

Edit: and come on, game looks best in motion
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 06:28:59 AM by Christian » Logged

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
joeyspacerocks
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014, 12:23:23 PM »

Hey, thanks for the shout out! Yeah, I really liked QB1-0 and it's cool that you're planning on revamping the game. Will it still be a mobile-only game or are you planning on branching out to other platforms, primarily PC?

Thanks - for the minute I'm still on iOS but I'm not ruling out other platforms. It's custom code (no engine), but pretty easy to port and I would love to go back to desktop at some point, so it's entirely possible.

I'll be quite candid: as much as I love IOS gaming and appreciate the devs who work their ass to make great games for the platform, the App Store isn't very indie friendly, at least from my outside consumer perspective. When I'm finding hidden gems months and years after release or see great games get totally forgotten and overlooked a week after releasing (or sometimes the day it does release), that's a very clear sign of the kind of visibility the App Store has for indie devs

Yup, visibility sucks. As a dev though I suppose it depends on expectations - nowadays I treat the app store as more of a delivery medium and not really a market at all. Puts the onus on me to do the marketing and get visibility, just like most other industries. That said, Apple are taking 30% of my cash, so it'd be nice if they'd up their game a bit Smiley

Mind you, I'm not sure other markets will be that better in the future - it's pretty saturated out there and the barrier to the markets is getting lower all the time - both a blessing and a curse.

Okay, rant over...

Eager to see how you expand on the existing game. New enemies types and hazards would be cool as well

Edit: and come on, game looks best in motion

Dagnabit ... ok, so I have a little way still to go with the marketing ... at least I'm on Twitter now Wink

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic