Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411482 Posts in 69370 Topics- by 58426 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 01:04:49 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Patching
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Patching  (Read 874 times)
zerooneinfinity
Level 0

View Profile
« on: October 15, 2014, 06:26:35 AM »

Does anyone know any good libraries or software for patching a game.  I need something up within a week.  General advice on the matter is also welcome Smiley
ndke
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 06:49:50 AM »

What exactly do you want to patch?
kamac
Level 10

Notoriously edits his posts

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 09:10:18 AM »

What exactly do you want to patch?

An injured comrade, I think.

zerooneinfinity
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 09:29:53 AM »

I want to be able to patch a game client.  So user starts game (patch manager), patch manager checks for updates, patches client out, starts game. 
dog199200
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014, 11:08:06 AM »

Ok, so you mentioned a "good library," so I am going to assume that you're willing to program one yourself. What language do you plan on working with? There are a LOT of good patch libraries, but it all depends on what you're looking for exactly, and how you want to do it. Are you looking to replace the entire directory, or are you looking to do version check on files and replace those of an older version? Give an example of exactly how you'd like it to function, and I am sure someone, or myself, can help you dig something up. Tongue
zerooneinfinity
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2014, 11:23:47 AM »

Something that walks the directory looking for new or modified (/removed) files and then updating the client would suffice.  Maybe only walk the directories if the md5 sum of the directory is different.

It could also use revision numbers and intelligently package all the assets up from rev x to rev y and then extract over all the files on the client.

I'm most fluent in python and C++.  C++ is preferable because people wouldn't need python installed and I wouldn't have to bother running it through py2exe.  But its probably better for this so I'm not sure.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 11:33:49 AM by zerooneinfinity » Logged
Layl
Level 3

professional jerkface

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2014, 10:45:13 PM »

If you publish via something like steam or desura, they include their own patching methods. If you need to make your own, chances are you won't get it working good enough for prime time within a week.
SelfTitled
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2014, 01:57:42 AM »

Only patching I've done before was using vpatch for nsis (http://nsis.sourceforge.net/VPatch_plug-in).

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic